+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Ear infection again

This is 3rd time bub (18mo) has ear infection. 1st: mid-Feb 2:mid-Apr 3:today. His temperature went up in 12 hrs and he had a seizure.
    We brought him into ER and they took his blood and all and said he was ok. Said was not ear infection, might be respiratory

Came home, stool had blood and went to GP, and they said it was ear infection, gave antibiotics.

This time we suspect its the pacifier so we don't give him that now. I'm wondering if anyone out there had bub's having ear infection so frequent at this age and if the real cause was discovered?

Started childcare in Feb. Going 4 days per week. Again, many people have told us that they get sick frequent with childcare, but basically since he started, we had 1 - 2 weeks of happy days and then the next round of ear infection / fever / cough / flu comes upon us again. Is it THAT frequent, or are we doing something wrong?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by springrose View Post
    This is 3rd time bub (18mo) has ear infection. 1st: mid-Feb 2:mid-Apr 3:today. His temperature went up in 12 hrs and he had a seizure.
    We brought him into ER and they took his blood and all and said he was ok. Said was not ear infection, might be respiratory

Came home, stool had blood and went to GP, and they said it was ear infection, gave antibiotics.

This time we suspect its the pacifier so we don't give him that now. I'm wondering if anyone out there had bub's having ear infection so frequent at this age and if the real cause was discovered?

Started childcare in Feb. Going 4 days per week. Again, many people have told us that they get sick frequent with childcare, but basically since he started, we had 1 - 2 weeks of happy days and then the next round of ear infection / fever / cough / flu comes upon us again. Is it THAT frequent, or are we doing something wrong?
    Up to 8 ear infections a year is considered within normal limits for kids under 8yo. I'm surprised the doc gave antibiotics as 80% of ear infections are viral and most resolve spontaneously within 72hrs.

And that number of infections is normal for first year of daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son had recurrent ear infections from 6mths to 18mths when grommets were inserted.

He would have an infection, get 3-4days break & then have another infection.

He has had 5 lots of grommets.
    4 regular insertions, then 1 lot of t tubes (they last a few years & then are surgically removed).

Our son would've been deaf if we had allowed the ear infections to continue without surgical intervention.

Sickness is very common in young children attending DC. Don't worry about it, they've got to get it sometime.

My nieces rarely attended DC & missed so much of their first schooling years due to illness. My son has been great so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am having trouble with my 19 month old. he is currently on his 7th ear infection in 7 months. 4 of those in the last 9 weeks. He always needs his repeats so has been on antibiotics for 40 dwyw out of the last 56 days. The one before this he completed his antibiotics Tuesday. Went to check is was clear Wed. By Friday I knew another one was ob its way. Sun he was on antibiotics again. We are off to ENT on June 2nd. Hopefully they do something.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app