+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default WWYD Job interview

So after 6 months of not working and doing some stuff to improve my health and also focus on IVF I have decided to go back to part time work.

My issue is we are also planning another IVF cycle very soon. I'm torn as to weather I just pretend I'm all in or do I tell them the truth about the possibility of needing time off.

I really want to get back to work and this is the only thing holding me back. I am a nurse so qualified but not irreplaceable or the only candidate.

I'll be having a phone chat with a prospective employer later in the week to set up an interview.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If you really want to work, go back and delay the cycle until you've been there for a few months. That way you can get a feel for their tolerance of time off and also means you'll be eligible for mat leave as you'll have been there a year by the time bub is born, should the cycle work.

ETA - don't tell them you're planning a pregnancy. It's not their business and it shouldn't influence their decision to hire you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Cue! I'm just struggling with how honest I should be. I guess you are right in saying it's none of their business.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's absolutely none of their business. Don't tell them.

Eta, I missed out on a great job and maternity leave because my employer found out accidentally that I was TTC. Even though they can't legally discriminate, they do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't tell them as the ivf may not work (hopefully it does). And it's none of their business whatsoever. I moved jobs after multiple treatment cycles, I had been in a holding pattern and moving jobs was part of accepting that it may not work out for us (we were coming to the end of our treatments) and 4 weeks after I moved job I had a FET and of course that one worked so I'm now 30 weeks pregnant. I think with ivf don't hold yourself back on something that may or may not happen, just my opinion. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't tell them at the interview stage. I would only tell them (if that's what you want to do) after you have the job. In saying that, if you're working part time, you will hopefully be able to schedule your appointments around work so it won't be an issue. While I haven't gone down the IVF route as yet, I've been able to schedule my appointments around work relatively easily (I work 0.8FTE and mainly 12hr shifts). I've only taken 2 sick days in 12 months for IUI as I was rostered to work the day of the actual insemination. I haven't spoken to my boss because at the moment it's not an issue. If it were to become an issue, then I would probably speak to her. I've gone for scans, blood tests, appointments etc all after night shift and it's been fine. If I've needed to have a blood test on days I'm working my FS is happy for me to have the bloods done through pathology at work (he works through the same hospital so it's really easy for him to get the results). There are ways around it. You would know better than me what IVF entails but unless it's going to majorly impact your attendance at work, I wouldn't tell if you don't need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Go agency nursing so you can pick and choose when you want to work. I work in aged care and we sometimes have the same agency person 4 or 5 days straight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in hospital recently and the nurse i had had been doing it for 3 years! Nurse bank is great you choose your hours!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks M'LadyEm when you explain it the way you have I don't know why I was worried. My last job was very full on 12hr shifts and half nights. I'm so looking forward to part time mon-fri no nights!!!

Thanks ladies, agency/casual pool isn't for me. I'm not great at not knowing where I'm going and if or when I'll get shifts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (19-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't tell them, it's none of their business. As a pp said discrimination is illegal but it happens all too often.
    You'll probably find that many appointments can be scheduled around your work hours. Shift work may actually work in your favour as you could go for BT, scans before & after work.
    I managed to do 3 rounds of IVF while working 10 hour days & only had to call in sick 1 day (day of a transfer). It's stressful when you think about how you're going to fit everything in, but once you're in there doing it, you just get it done.
    I also found having a couple of colleagues who knew about the IVF helped, they were willing to come in & cover me if needed, it never came to that but was a relief knowing I had a bit of support.