+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cost of giving birth 2015 in melbourne without any insurance (private/public)

Hi there, need some insight of cost estimation in giving birth in Melbourne without any insurance. One post I saw was in 2012 that stated around AUD 10k-20k. I'm just wondering what the figures now in 2014.

To those of you who's wondering why I don't have insurance coverage, it is because that I'm on visa 457 and my wife got pregnant while we're still in the waiting period of an private insurance (ouch).

And my wife is probably will need undergo a caesarian.

Thanks folks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you use the public system it won't cost you anything. If you use a private obstetrician and a public hospital it'll cost you the OB fee (anywhere between $2k - $6k depending on the OB). If you go completely private it will easily cost $20k or more depending on your Drs fees, cost of scans, the hospital you choose, how long your wife stays in hospital etc.

Call your local private hospital, they should be able to give you a quote.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Cost of giving birth 2015 in melbourne without any insurance (private/public)

Are you covered by Medicare? Which country are you coming from?

Some countries have a reciprocal agreement which gives you Medicare cover. Others don't in which case going public will cost you the same as going private.

If you aren't covered by Medicare my only advice would be for your wife to fly back home and give birth there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have patients who go through the public system who are classed as "medicare ineligible". They don't have the outlay of fees for a private obstetrician, but they do have to pay. My best suggestion would be to find out which hospital your GP will refer you to and contact their billing department. The costs may vary slightly from hospital to hospital, and this is the only way to find out for sure. I mean, you're already pregnant, so whichever way you go is going to cost you money... You're better off knowing exactly how much so you can plan for it! I have a feeling many of our medicare ineligible patients go through shared care with their GP for antenatal care, as I think it's cheaper. Especially when they would normally require an interpreter but have a GP who speaks their language.

Thanks
    Reviews
    THanks for the replies. My country doesn't have reciprocal health agreement with Australia. It's impossible though to go back to my country and give birth as it would require me to be away from her for quite some time (call me sentimental but we're never been apart for that long, hahaha).

I do agree with Cue and M'ladyEm. I did ask a private hospital today (east Melbourne), and it cost around $ 22k for whole pregnancy doctor consultation and caesarian operation.

I do heard other option though, which it requires us to become Permanent Resident before the baby delivery due, so the Medicare coverage will kick in and it will cut our caesarian surgery cost.

Have everybody done that before? Care to share? Is it possible?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by renwick View Post
    THanks for the replies. My country doesn't have reciprocal health agreement with Australia. It's impossible though to go back to my country and give birth as it would require me to be away from her for quite some time (call me sentimental but we're never been apart for that long, hahaha).

I do agree with Cue and M'ladyEm. I did ask a private hospital today (east Melbourne), and it cost around $ 22k for whole pregnancy doctor consultation and caesarian operation.

I do heard other option though, which it requires us to become Permanent Resident before the baby delivery due, so the Medicare coverage will kick in and it will cut our caesarian surgery cost.

Have everybody done that before? Care to share? Is it possible?
    I've done the whole 457 saga. Didn't have Medicare either.
    I personally think it's nuts to give birth here without insurance.
    How much OOP (Out Of Pocket) would you be if your wife has pre eclampsia and needs to be hospitalized at length before delivery?
    How much OOP would you be if your baby is premature and need to be in special care nursery for weeks?
    Id try and find out before making a decision.

Regarding PR we can't really advise you on your immigrations options, best to contact a lawyer.
    You should be covered by Medicare as soon as your PR application is in though. Depending on where you live you might then be referred to the royal women hospital which is a great public hospital.

ETA a friend of mine in the same situation flew back to France at 35wks pregnancy to give birth. Her partner flew a couple of weeks later and they came back with a 2 wks old
    baby.
    They were only apart for 2 weeks and her partner took a 4wks holiday.
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 19-05-2015 at 07:09.