+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Year 5 Issue

Hi Guys

My DD is in year 5. They are at the moment in the process of writing a talk for English (I think it is English, combined with Technology). My DD has been in tears before bed every night for a week about this talk. As well as Naplan last week she spent over an hour each afternoon on her powerpoint, as she missed out on computer time due to band practice.

Her issue is that she has to do the talk in front of the two year 5 classes.

She is a quiet, shy girl. She hates being the centre of attention, hates getting up to get an award at assembly.

In previous years she has managed to cope with doing the talk in front of one class (making it as short as possible).

I don't want her crying herself to sleep for another week. I have wondered about keeping her home the day of the talk.

I have started to write an email to her two teachers, but I don't know what to say.

Anyone with ideas?? Or what to write to the teachers??
    Last edited by PomPoms; 17-05-2015 at 20:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I would say she is suffering from anxiety and is crying herself to sleep over this talk. Request that she do it in front her class only. There is nothing in curriculum that say it has to be in front of that many people.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-05-2015),PomPoms  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey Cheerilee,

I'd just email them the truth.

I'd say something along the lines of:
    Dear Teacher,

My daughter is in your class currently working on a performance. The thought of presenting this performance to 2 classes of children is causing her extreme anxiety. I understand the curriculum requirements but I really don't want my daughter suffering anymore. She has been extremely distraught and I would really appreciate if we could negotiate something so that Dd doesn't get so worked up. Is it possible DD could perform her presentation without so many spectators. Public speaking is a very stressful situation and it is obviously upsetting DD to a point I'm not comfortable.

Thanks for understanding.

If they are rude in reply or not accommodating, I'd tell DD not to worry about it and I you won't be forcing her to do it.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-05-2015),PomPoms  (17-05-2015),Tinkers  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely talk to the teachers. They should be more than understanding.
    I'm a year five teacher and although my class have also done talks in front of the class I always remind them that not everyone enjoys public speaking and that's okay.
    I also would never force the issue in front of that many students.
    I would do what pp said... And perhaps ask if any of the following would be okay. ..
    1. She could do the talk in front of her teacher and a few friends separately.
    2. Just in front of her own class.
    3. Hand in completed speech and not do the actual talk.
    4. Video herself and they could play the video.

If it's causing that much anxiety then the teacher needs to know and give her some slack. Well ..I would if she was in my class!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (17-05-2015),Tinkers  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    I would say she is suffering from anxiety and is crying herself to sleep over this talk. Request that she do it in front her class only. There is nothing in curriculum that say it has to be in front of that many people.
    I agree, she is definitely anxious about this. She also gets test anxiety which is hampering her marks significantly. She is enrolled in a program for anxious kids that the school counsellor recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    Hey Cheerilee,

I'd just email them the truth.

I'd say something along the lines of:
    Dear Teacher,

My daughter is in your class currently working on a performance. The thought of presenting this performance to 2 classes of children is causing her extreme anxiety. I understand the curriculum requirements but I really don't want my daughter suffering anymore. She has been extremely distraught and I would really appreciate if we could negotiate something so that Dd doesn't get so worked up. Is it possible DD could perform her presentation without so many spectators. Public speaking is a very stressful situation and it is obviously upsetting DD to a point I'm not comfortable.

Thanks for understanding.

If they are rude in reply or not accommodating, I'd tell DD not to worry about it and I you won't be forcing her to do it.
    You said this so much better than my draft email. I will email the teachers tonight! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Definitely talk to the teachers. They should be more than understanding.
    I'm a year five teacher and although my class have also done talks in front of the class I always remind them that not everyone enjoys public speaking and that's okay.
    I also would never force the issue in front of that many students.
    I would do what pp said... And perhaps ask if any of the following would be okay. ..
    1. She could do the talk in front of her teacher and a few friends separately.
    2. Just in front of her own class.
    3. Hand in completed speech and not do the actual talk.
    4. Video herself and they could play the video.

If it's causing that much anxiety then the teacher needs to know and give her some slack. Well ..I would if she was in my class!
    I could get her to agree to a talk in front of the her class. While she would feel sick and be very nervous, she would push through it. I don't think she will for the two classes.

Thank you!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    agree with the other girls

good luck

(and a for your DD)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    This. Except I would request that she do it in front of one class at a time- if they are keen on the whole year hearing each speech.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone...

All sorted. She can do it in front of her class only (with some others it seems) a day earlier.

So she is going to have to hurry up and write the talk now.

I am so glad I can tell her in the morning

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-05-2015),HappyBovinexx  (17-05-2015),Tinkers  (17-05-2015),yadot  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    Thanks everyone...

All sorted. She can do it in front of her class only (with some others it seems) a day earlier.

So she is going to have to hurry up and write the talk now.

I am so glad I can tell her in the morning
    Hope her talk goes well
    Last edited by yadot; 20-05-2015 at 19:36.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (21-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She did her talk today, and got a C+. Which is where she needs to be (with the new marking system).

I was very proud of her. She felt good about it and was very happy that she passed, she was worried she wouldn't.

I am so grateful that her teachers were willing to work with her so that she can still do what she needs to do, but in an environment a lot less confronting for her.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (22-05-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (22-05-2015),LoveLivesHere  (22-05-2015)