+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Are you close to your siblings??

It is my dream for my children to be really close as they grow up. Its something that I just don't have with my brothers or my parents for that matter. We were close when we were small but as we grew up we drifted apart. We get along as adults but we don't have an exceptionally close relationship. I'm wondering what it takes as parents to encourage this closeness. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My sister is my best friend. She actually selling her farm to move closer to me, so that when her hubby dies (he is sick) I will be close by.
    My brother well we aren't as close. We are a lot better than we used to be.
    My parents did nothing to help or hinder.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are you close to your siblings??

One sister is my best friend, the other we see each other every week but she has autism so our relationship is a lot more work. My youngest sister and I get along sometimes but are not really that close.

The only thing my parents did was give my little sister anything she wanted and that made our relationship very strained.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (17-05-2015),KitiK  (18-05-2015),Zombie_eyes  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am quite close to my eldest brother, don't speak to my second eldest and friendly but not close with my younger brother. I don't think it's anything my parents did- just how our personalities turned out. My eldest brother and I have a lot in common so naturally we get on better.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (17-05-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I am friendly but not close with my oldest sister ... and very close to my other 2 sisters.

As children we were all close (are close in age) .. as adults we certainly have had our ups and downs, but overall remain pretty close which is nice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've always been very close to my sister, probably bit less now we are grown up with our own families and havnt lived close to each other for about 12 years now. In terms of how our parents brought us up, one thing that springs to mind is that they always pointed out how we were special in our own ways, ie I was more academic than my sister but she is very artistic and has bubbly personality. I think this reduced the chance of sibling rivalry and we could see the positives in each other and our parents were honest about our individual strengths and weaknesses.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the input all. See I don't remember my parents encouraging our sibling relationships. Even now whenever I speak with mum she only ever gossips about my brothers so god knows what she says to them about me. I suppose that may have had a bearing on the way i view my brothers. I so wish it was different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not close to my siblings. Not sure why. Feel like I'm the odd one out. But I'm happy. I know if I needed them and vice versa we would help each other out. But the rest of the siblings get on.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm close with my sister , we still fight but if anyone messes with one of us , you take us both on.

Growing up we would literally punch on, fight with weapons and be horrible to each other.

We live 20 mins apart and see each other 3+ times a week. We play defence on the same netball team lol we're both in our 30s

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am close with my siblings in that we would all do anything for each other, but we don't have a lot of contact. My two brothers live interstate and we don't actually talk much, but I know they would be there for me in a heartbeat if needed (and they have done before). My sister lives around the corner from me and we get closer and closer the older we get. She is a massive help with my kids.

I am the only one out of the 4 of us with kids, and all 3 of my siblings put in a lot of effort with my kids and show them a lot of love.

My mum died when we were all young and our dad was a workaholic who didn't take long to repartner. I think this resulted in an unconventional bond forming between the 4 of us siblings. We were all very independent of each other, but all very much had each other's backs as well.