+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Family holiday questions?

We are looking at booking a holiday soon and I'm wondering if people find it cheaper/better to holiday overseas as opposed to Australia?
    I've got some quotes and places like Vietnam and Thailand seem to be cheaper then an Australian Holiday. Also for an 8 night holiday in your opinion what would you spend with everything? What is reasonable to you? I'm having this "discussion" with DH who thinks I want to spend too much. This would be for 4 people.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We just got back from a family holiday to Fiji for a family of 4 (kids are 3.5yrs and 9mo). The flights & accommodation cost about $4500 for 7 nights. The baby was free so that helped with flight costs. That's staying at a nice resort that was really family-friendly and included buffet breakfast daily. It included 1 free kids club session per day (3hr session) for kids over 4yrs, which we didn't use as our kids are younger. Instead, we paid for a nanny and they stayed with the kids while they did the kids club activities. We went with friends with similar aged kids.

We weren't tight with our spending while there, I got a massage and we were having cocktails and meals out in the resort every day. For a week our room bill was AU$900.

The room was a one bedroom apartment with a big kitchen so we could have cooked some of our own meals to save money. It was good because once the kids were asleep, we could close off the lounge area (DD was on a fold-out bed and DS in a cot) and we didn't have to worry about making too much noise or having lights on.

I think it was really good value for what we got and would definitely recommend it. I think it would be much more expensive for the equivalent holiday in Aus.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (17-05-2015)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We holiday both here and overseas with our kids. There are some initial upfront expenses the first time you go overseas with kids, passports (very expensive if you have to get everyone one!), vaccinations if you are travelling to a developing country, airfares and insurance.

In saying all that, we only ever camp when we holiday in Australia, never resorts, it's just too expensive.

We went to Malaysia in January, flights were about $2400 for the 4 of us (including 2 internal flights), we probably spent about 4 or 5k all up?

I find with the 4 of us we pretty much never get away under 4-5k for a couple of weeks in Asia/the pacific

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (17-05-2015)