+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My immediate reaction is "no! Separate it from all other significant events"but then I remember DF proposed to me in the birth suite after DS was born and it was perfect for us

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (17-05-2015),harvs  (17-05-2015)

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it all depends on the 2 people involved's personalities.

My mum is a real attention seeker, so her then partner proposed on her 50th birthday. She loved it and she and our huge family were so surprised and happy for her.

My DP is super private and would HATE something like that so I proposed to her, just the 2 of us, in a significant place to us. (She said yes ) She then proposed to me a year later (after saving up for a ring) on our anniversary and that was super sweet and surprising.

Do what ever you think is right for you and your partner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It really depends what type of chick he is proposing too. If his lady hates crowds, he isn't sure what she will say or if she is a princess with a set ideal for how her dream proposal will be made... Then stay clear of a joint birthday proposal.

If she doesn't mind a crowd, he is sure what she will say and is fairly easy going (not a princess) then whatever he does will be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH proposed to my on my 25th birthday and although beforehand I always said I didn't want that happening, I was just excited that after like 6 yrs he had proposed!
    He took me away for the night and the whole weekend I thought he was going to propose as everything he did was very out of the norm for him- but left it till the very end of the weekend!

I don't mind attention and having all eyes on me so a proposal in front of people wouldn't faze me, but there are a lot of people who don't like that! So maybe save the proposal till the next day- or even the day before her 30th so she can announce it at the party! That way she has 2 special and memorable days together!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Proposals trumps a annual bday. So yes doing it on her bday is absolutely fine. And personally a ring is a good enough gift. Another bday gift on top of a ring is just sounding like a spoilt brat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH was going to propose on my birthday, but didn't end up doing it that day because he couldn't find the right moment! It was a Friday, I had training all day at work and we had a heap of friends staying with us - we were living in the country, and they'd all come down to visit for the weekend. He ended up proposing the next day (which was his birthday!). We had taken everyone out to a really pretty beach about an hour away from home, and he got down on one knee in front of everyone. I loved it. I'm not normally a big centre of attention person but at that moment, everyone else kind of disappeared. We got to celebrate with our closest friends straight away and the fact that other people were around meant that DH was sneakily able to line one of them up to film the whole thing.

I think however your friend chooses to propose will be special, no matter the date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would not have liked for my proposal to have been on my birthday, I loved the surprise of it - I had no idea DH was going to propose when he did.

We did get married exactly one year after the proposal, to me that makes the day even more special (to DH it means one less anniversary)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (18-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would want it to be a seperate event. The day for me is to celebrate the relationship not double book the day.

Birthdays I would entertain and anniversary would be for alone time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Today is one year since I was proposed to (and said yes!). It's nice to have another day/date to reminisce about. Rather than my bday. However by the time our engagement came around I would've taken any day/time!! Haha

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bertie7 For This Useful Post:

GemimaPuddleduck  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No. No way. I have this conversation all the time. I think your friend should know his girlfriend though if he's planning on marrying her. He should know what she'd like. My hubby proposed in a very intimate way with no one around which was perfect for me. A friends hubby proposed on HiS birthday in front of all of their family and friends which was perfect for her. It all depends on the girl. Make sure marriage is something you've spoken about and have both agreed to before doing it in front of people, you don't want her to feel forced.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GemimaPuddleduck For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (18-05-2015)