+ Reply to Thread

Default Safe job alternatives and Fair Work

Has anyone had any experience in dealing with FairWork with regards to your employer finding you alternative safe work arrangements if your current job is unsafe for you to do while pregnant? I'm in my third trimester and it's unsafe for me to return to my current job, but I think the alternative they have proposed isn't safe either, and they said it's either that or start maternity leave early.

I'm not sure what I can do from here. Anyone had a similar experience?

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Safe job alternatives and Fair Work

It's hard to say without knowing the type of work you're talking about. Either way your doctor should be able to weigh in on whether a 'normal' pregnant woman could do the proposed work. If so, and you can't, perhaps using your personal leave would work. If your GP says the proposed work is crazy that's perhaps something you could take to HR. However if there are no additional positions at your work I don't think there's much you can do?

I'm just guessing though. I have no experience in the area and I'm not familiar with the legislation. Hopefully another hubber can help.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have a company dr? Mine actually came and supervised some of the work. My work was pretty good in providing alternative work. They had a guide, like at this many weeks you shouldn't be climbing ladders, bending down more than x many times per hour, no shift work after 24 weeks etc. I was just a guideline though and I opted not to follow it as I was comfortable staying on shift work till I went on leave at 38 weeks.

It's always a bit of a grey area and to be honest if there isn't suitable work available you might have to take leave early.

I've come across a similar question in a different place recently. In this instance the asker had sought advice from their union which amounted to the employer had to either find them a suitable alternative or put them on paid leave.
    I have never personally dealt with this and don't work in HR so am unsure how accurate this is and if it applies to you. I wouldn't think they could make you start mat leave until you are within a certain window of your due date.
    Anyway, if I was in your situation I'd be hitting up
    Fair work for advice. Good luck!