+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips for flying with DS

So I'm flying to qld from nsw with DS next month, only a short flight (hour and a half) but my anxiety is through the roof already thinking about it. I'm taking DS with me for a week to see family and DP is staying home.

What can I take on the plane to amuse him? He will be 16 months old at the time. He's very active. Hates sitting still. DP will be with us at the airport until we leave and my dad will be picking us up. So it's just the flight I'll be alone. He's flown before (6 months) with my dad. But he's a lot older now and I want to be able to keep him amused. There is no way he will sleep while we fly so a late flight isn't going to work.

Any tips please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Take heaps of food and activities. My kids loved drawing, picture books and matchbox cars. Do fun foods that your kid likes but are clean ish.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Take heaps of food and activities. My kids loved drawing, picture books and matchbox cars. Do fun foods that your kid likes but are clean ish.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Thanks! Any particular foods you can recommend? He's so off his food lately any fun ideas u have would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We took the iPad, use of it is usually restricted but not on the plane - it was encouraged lol. We put heaps of videos on it that she'd like, also took plenty of food. I took stickers, crayons and a colouring book but she wasn't really interested in them, just wanted the iPad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    We took the iPad, use of it is usually restricted but not on the plane - it was encouraged lol. We put heaps of videos on it that she'd like, also took plenty of food. I took stickers, crayons and a colouring book but she wasn't really interested in them, just wanted the iPad.
    I was thinking the iPad lol I'll load it up with stuff before we go. He never gets to use it because he usually tries to chew on it so it will be a novelty.

So hoping we sit next to someone who doesn't complain lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just did a trip to NZ and back with 2 Dds aged 18 months and 3 yrs. I found colouring in no good because they kept dropping their pencils everywhere, and the iPad got boring (just like TV), for the trip home I got them a Magna doodle like toy (magnetic drawing thingy) each, $9.00 at big w and they loved them!! Between that and lots of snacks we had a great no stress 7 hour flight [ATTACH]70116[/AT
    Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheaty For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheaty View Post
    I just did a trip to NZ and back with 2 Dds aged 18 months and 3 yrs. I found colouring in no good because they kept dropping their pencils everywhere, and the iPad got boring (just like TV), for the trip home I got them a Magna doodle like toy (magnetic drawing thingy) each, $9.00 at big w and they loved them!! Between that and lots of snacks we had a great no stress 7 hour flight [ATTACH]70116[/AT
    Thanks! I had one of those as a kid lol I'll pick one up. That should keep him amused for a bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We're just back from a trip with DD 11 months. I'd suggest checking in early at the desk (not the auto machine thing), ask nicely if the flight is full & if they could block the seat next to you so you have some space. You have to sit near the back but we didn't care. Made a huuuuge difference for us!
    I second IPad & food. I brought rice cakes, Apple & sweet biscuits (she never gets them - thought she was in heaven!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
    Thanks! Any particular foods you can recommend? He's so off his food lately any fun ideas u have would be great.
    Cheese, yoghurt sachets, rice crackers, dried apricots, chickpeas, broccoli florets, grapes, cocktail savs, anzac bikkies, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips for flying with DS

I've just taken a trip on my own with DD who is 16 months from Canberra to Sydney so flights are about 40mins flight time.

I kept my carry on to a minimum - phone, wallet, lunch box for DD, drink bottle, small toy, touchy feely board book and magic colouring book.

I knew the flight would be on a smaller plane with rear stair entry so I had to make sure I could carry DD and my bag comfortably.

Food wise I packed a normal lunch box of sandwich, fruit, veges, yoghurt, cheese, crackers and packet of tiny teddies.

We were lucky enough to get a window seat each flight with no one next to us.

Once we sat down I gave her a drink and got the book out to read.

I also sang her a little song with clapping to distract her while waiting for take off.

As we started to take off I got her lunchbox out and let her eat. By the time the seat belt sign went off she found the tray table which was a highlight for her.

Then she ate the complimentary snack. Drank some water from the small cups. Chucked the snack on the ground.

More singing and lots of wriggling to get off my lap.

Colouring book out and drawing on the page - the tray, my arm etc (magic colouring so not really colouring only works on the paper).

Then it was time to start the descend so it was just more book reading and singing.

All in all it was good flights! I was expecting the worst but it was a breeze. The 2.5hr drive home from the airport - not so much.

I use a yumbox as her lunchbox and it amazing - handy to have everything in one container and easy to hold one handed while holding a wriggly baby!
    Last edited by Wissa; 16-05-2015 at 07:50.