+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A good strong steroid ointment, applied a few times a day. Just get it over and done with, dragging it out with natural therapies is futile.
    And Dermeze barrier cream as a moisturiser.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds is 6 now and knows not to scratch it, he'll still scratch until it bleeds though. All through the years we have wet wrapped Although I don't like them if we use the steroid cream as soon as there us a flair up we can have it back under control much quicker. Steroid then liberal with the moisturizer then wet wrap then dry wrap. It also helps act as a barrier to the itch.

His ears and eyelids were always more troublesome.

Avoid too much heat. Hot baths, heaters, too many blankets etc. We were told that as an eczema Kid his skin runs hotter and overheating will make it worse.

We rotate moisturizers, what works today wont work next month etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    A good strong steroid ointment, applied a few times a day. Just get it over and done with, dragging it out with natural therapies is futile.
    Are you talking about the oats in the bath when you say natural therapy? If so its the only thing that works for my ds and doesn't cause flare ups. Every soap or body wash i have tried causes flare ups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree. A lot of the natural products (like moo goo) can have all allergens that can cause flare ups. I was totally against using all the medicated products but they are really the only things that work. Three days of intense treatment will do the trick and will help ease the itch.
    Natural products may work for some people but if the eczema is severe then it's better to treat it properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a lifetime sufferer of severe eczema I have to agree.

I have tried every non medicated product on the market and for me almost all of them actually aggravate and extend the flare ups. They increase the itching which only makes me scratch more (consciously and unconsciously ) causing cracked skin, bleeding and sometimes infection.
    I have also tried many 'natural remedies' which sometimes ease the itch for a short period but don't rid the outbreak.
    I have always been worried about using too much steroid ointments as they have their own issues (namely they thin the skin) but in the end they are the only thing that works to get on top of it.
    Be careful with some of the non medicated eczema treatments (cetaphil, QV etc) as a lot of them contain preservatives (hydrooxybenzoates) which can also cause or aggravate flare ups.

I would also recommend for long term sufferers to get allergy testing done to determine your triggers (it's not always about dry/cold/hot weather).
    For me, mine are food and stress related. My primary triggers are eggs and nuts. If I consume these then I also have secondary triggers like soaps, chlorine, detergents and perfumes.