+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 week old wont sleep

DD is 4 weeks and 4 days and through the day she won't sleep. To get her to sleep I have to rock her and as soon as I lay her down she wakes.. Is this normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Absolutely normal. My son was like this. Had to be held and trying to put him down once asleep was always a fail. My son was a terrible sleeper until 9months (when he learnt to walk) and has been a perfect sleeper ever since.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes that's very normal. I found putting them a baby swing or baby sling worked best throughout the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can try rocking her until she's almost there, then lay her down and try patting and shushing to calm her to sleep. If you can play soft white noise where she sleeps, babies love it. My son has a froggie nightlight that plays the sounds of crickets. That has been one of his sleep cues since he came home from hospital. If that fails, give the sling or carrier a go. Bub is still very little and they love nothing more than the warmth of mum and hearing your heartbeat, just like she did utero.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Normal! It's frustrating but totally normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to wrap my daughter, put her into the bassinet and shake the bassinet gently from side to side. The rocking motion would put bub to sleep. Maybe try giving that a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Totally normal! There are so many days when you just can't put them down or they wake up. My bub was a terrible day time sleeper when he was a newbie so I always made sure I had a book and a glass of water/food handy so I could just hang out on the couch with him if that's what it took.

I did find that having a good swaddle really helped him from a comfort perspective - he felt secure when firmly wrapped. That combined with patting, rocking and shushing all worked a treat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Normal

Full belly
    Burped
    Clean bottom
    Warm
    Try and feed in the dark at night and with noise (TV etc) during the day so bub can learn the difference between night and day.

Then rock, cuddle do what you have to do. Just a heads up there's a growth spurt at 6 weeks and bub might feed more often then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally normal!
    You are everything that she wants at this stage. And often they can need some help getting to sleep, frustrating as it can be. My DD napped fine (now 2), my 5 month old son though is a cat napper unless being snuggled and has been since birth.

What has worked for us is wrapping him up nice and firm, like a straight jacket (as well as being just fed & clean). I often try to rest when he is too or I wear him. I have had some baby free time by having him all snuggled up and in a vibrating bouncer, the vibrations are soothing for him but it isn't a definitive answer, sometimes he'll sleep for an hour in it, other times he won't.

The other thing you could try is some soft music. We were gifted a 'calming vibrations soother' from Fisher Price, it's a toy elephant that plays soft music and vibrates too. The music is actually really pleasant. My DD loves it at the moment and keep taking it to bed herself.

Some days are a struggle. Try it all and then try it all again and do what you need to you for you to stay sane! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As others have said, normal. But not fun especially when you see all these other babies around sleeping peacefully and not easily woken,
    DS was a cat-napper from about 6 (?) weeks would only do 20 mins at a time and I tried EVERY trick in the book and then some! He extended his sleeps on his own about 5 months. It constantly changes for the first 12 months especially in the first 3 so you might find it changes next week, next months, etc.
    just remember it's nothing you are doing wrong! Look after yourself.