+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At the moment DH and I are on our lowest income ever, living with family because we can't afford rent and yesterday my debit card declined me at woolies. Surprisingly we both feel very happy. We know this is temporary (but don't know how long) but we are loving all this family time. When DH and I were making more money we were not happier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In December DH was made redundant. He use to work a rotating shift work roster. He has a new job, earning $50,000 less but he is home early in the afternoons and on the weekends. We still have the money to pay all bills etc. if we want to buy something we do. We are much happier now. However, if we were experiencing financial stress I know that would make me unhappy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Money can't buy happiness but it's much easier to have it than not.

When the boys were little and I was newly divorced my stress levels were at the highest, as feeding the kids some weeks was a real challenge and it was frightening how one unexpected thing could quickly have you facing that. It was terrifying. Really terrifying! I'm not cut out to skate so close to the line! I worked my way out of that situation quick smart.

I'm happy so long as my cupboards are full, bills are paid and i can sneak my kids some extras when I want to. I'm lucky I work for a decent wage that supports us properly, I don't care about being rich, but comfortable makes for a less stressful life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like maybe there is a sweet spot of being comfortable but not working so hard that it throws that work / life balance off? My parents struggled and so I've always been quite thrifty but now we are comfortable I'm stressed out dealing with so much of the house stuff alone and throw in no family and kids activities I'm running to stand still. I'm suddenly making bad decisions, but I'd still buy myself cheap clothes if I ever got to shops. And dp doesn't like to spend money eventhough he doesn't even know what we have in the bank. so I guess having money isn't liberating like I thought it might be? But we're not rich just not struggling. Tho I think in my case not working is part of the issue as I feel guilty spending money on myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most days we're living pay to pay. Partner gets paid each month so in between those times we rely on my wage ( ftb and child support). All our bills, school fees, food etc are always paid and we have some money left over for leisure. As for holidays we usually go away for weekends to Phillip Island as we have a family beach house there so it's free to stay.

We are getting an extension on our house soon too so that's going to cost $50,000 so we need to watch what we spend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh and I were both from families not very well off. I went without a lot growing up and got teased and bullied at school because of it, we were known as the poor family in the town we lived in. Dh and I vowed we wanted better for our kids hence why we ensured we were financially stable before bringing kids into the world.
    We own one of our properties, the other is mortgaged and we own everything else (which is alot). Knowing our boys will be able to have a good start when they move out is comforting. We have had financial struggles too over the years due to circumstances beyond our control and I don't like financial struggle, it's depressing. So for us we are definately happier when we don't have to stress about how bills are going to be paid and being able to go away for the weekend without planning etc. We like to be able to spend on the kids when we desire considering we missed out on alot growing up. We watch our spending though, we buy what we need when we need and teach the boys the value of money.