+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Tell me about your toddler's speech

Evening ladies :-)

I feel daft asking this given my job, but I'm just after information about how your 2-3 year old went/is going with pronouncing their words and consonants?

DS is still hard to understand at times, which is normal I know, and mispronounces words, which is normal I know, but I am surprised at some of the consonants that he can't seem to say/hear.

So he always mixes up 'n' and 'm' as in 'nolk' (milk. sigh.) and 'mappy', which I'm presuming is a hearing thing. He can't say 'l', it's always a 'y' sound (as in pyane instead of plane) and he can't say the 'r' sound unless it's at the start of a word. He can't say 'h' at the start of a word, and 'j' is 'd'.

He also mishears things so he calls spaghetti 'middles' (as in noodles I guess).

I know it's cute as all get out, but I am starting to wonder if I should be working on his speech a bit more? I don't want to pressure him but I don't want to miss the boat if he needs intervention.

I assume it's probably all normal developmentally but I'd love to hear about your children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Has he had his hearing checked recently?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

harvs  (14-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    No he hasn't. That's a thought.

I thought his hearing was pretty amazing because he can like hear and announce a motorbike a good 30 seconds before it passes us. But I probably should check too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Dd is almost 28 months. She pronounces L as a Y and Rs as Ws, (like rabbit/wabbit) mispronounces some difficult words like "cubumber" instead of cucumber but is mostly clear, correct and understandable. (Additional edit: except if she's hyper, excitable or being stupid lol)

But just because she does that does not mean there's anything wrong with your ds, harvs.

Eta: if dd mispronounces a word- like cucumber, I will correct her in a fun chastising way and she will repeat it after me for a few goes and then usually gets it correct for the day. But sometimes forgets the next time lol.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 14-05-2015 at 21:08.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

harvs  (14-05-2015)

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 8 so I can’t remember specifics, but I know at her 2 or 3 year old MCHN assessment she refused to say the word yellow because she knew she couldn’t pronounce it – she said lello.

I do know that ‘l’ and ‘y’ can be particularly hard to say.
    I would get your boys hearing checked as there could be tones that he doesn’t hear – softer sounds can be hard to differentiate and that could be making all the difference.

The other thing I did with my DD every time she mispronounced something – I did the old re ask the question with the word said correctly in it trick, plus I would make her look at my mouth as I re said words and told her where her tongue needs to be for certain sounds – eg. My tongue is touching to top of my teeth, my lips are pressing … see how they press when I make the sound …

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oblena For This Useful Post:

harvs  (14-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

@Oblena there are some great hints there, thank you :-)
    @Little Miss Sunshine, don't worry - I know there's nothing wrong with him, just if he needs a little extra effort from me then I'd like to start it now. I know how much kids with speech issues struggle once they start school. I can't believe your DD is almost three already!!
    Last edited by harvs; 14-05-2015 at 21:41.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My mr almost six still sometimes says v's instead of b's

W's for r's

M's for n's

Ck for t's (at the end of words)

But all my kids have language disorders so i dont even know whats normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My son is a wee bit younger than yours and I've had him in speech for a few months now, mainly for a speech delay.

He had fluid in his ears, which I believe was affecting his speech development. Last month the fluid finally cleared up and his speech has gone through the roof. But he is not pronouncing all the words right.

My speech therapist is now working on getting his mouth move the right way to make the right sounds. They are so knowledgable with what sounds are hard to say together and why they struggle with certain words and sounds. We are focussing on certain words each fortnight and as Oblena said, I make him look at me when I say it and he then tries to imitate my mouth movements.

If you're worried I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a speech assessment and going from there. Even if you get some hints and tips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Do you have access to a speech pathologist in your town?

You could get him assessed if you are concerned.

Here is a link to the order toddlers articulate sounds:
    http://www.eps.n-cook.k12.il.us/epsw...iculation.html

My DD2 had articulation issues. I couldn't understand a lot of what she was saying and it resulted in tears from her. Speech therapy around age three helped a lot. We had to go back to basics - teach her the sounds she hadn't mastered, then letter blends and finally words. Worked a treat for her.
    Great resource!!! Thanks for sharing.