+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i would if the other kid wasnt showing symptoms, my eldest got hfm after going nowhere but the grocery store :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    I didn't realise it was that common, I honestly don't know anyone who's had it or who's kids have had it. I must be sheltered :P but yes I agree I wouldn't purposely risk my kids getting sick.
    I think most kids who attend childcare gets it. I don't know any kids that haven't had it!
    But they all go to FT childcare.

I didn't know it could be a serious condition. Is is serious in physically weaker children because of other conditions?

DS had it and it was very mild. You couldn't even tell he was sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's very common and kids can get it again my dd was off daycare for 3 weeks with it.
    On the Monday morning she was a little grizzly but we still took her to daycare ( no signs of illness at all) That night she had a slight temp and was cuddly. Next morning still had slight temp ( higher than daycare policy would allow) so we kept her home. As I needed sick note for work I booked her in. By the time we got to gp she had developed a viral rash on her torso ( nothing uncommon for her when sick) but as she had a cold too GP said to rebook Thursday.
    By the time Thursday came around she had spots and was diagnosed with hfm.
    The GP actually referred us to the hospital for a 2nd opinion as it was unusual spots and very bad case.

So op to answer your question now I know about it I wouldn't go either, and perhaps the friendship isn't worth it if they are behaving in this manner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    The sad thing is that it's my DP's mate since kindergarten and my friends brother. It's really quite sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't get why people react this way. If they believe your story about DS being sick, surely they can understand it as they are parents themselves and have surely missed events due to sick kids before? If they saw through it and knew you were avoiding them due to the HFM, I can see why they'd be a little annoyed that at least one of you didn't go (especially if they were paying for catering per head or something like that) but it's not worth having a tantrum over!

Honestly, I probably would have gone to the christening service at least and probably gone to the party too if it was at a venue. If it was at their house I'd skip it as I would be worried about the lingering germs in their house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    That's just it. They've never missed anything because their kids are sick. They drag them out regardless and have no concept of keeping it to themselves. Only once did they warn me that one of the kids were sick and that I shouldn't bring DS over. The rest of the time seems to be share-fest.

We felt bad after missing the service and we were going to come and join them for the party after but by then they already weren't answering our calls even though they'd asked in the original phone call if we would potentially still join them after my DS had a nap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Jeez, I never drag my kids out when they are sick! And I always warn people if my kids have a bit of a cold and will be playing with their kids. Most of our friends are not bothered by colds but I would keep the kids away if it was anything more than that. I'm currently stuck at home because DD has a cold sore! I am still dirty about her getting it from another kid so I don't want her passing it on to anyone else. Sure it's inconvenient for me, and DD is watching waaaaaaay too much TV but hey, that's life with kids.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    This is how I am with DS but apparently this is not a common a parenting practice as we think.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wwyd

This happened to me. Another child in the family had it, and went against drs advice and brought the child to several events, covered in spots. I was panicking the whole time, trying to keep my child away. He came down with a severe version, hundreds of spots, fever of 40 for 5 days, was almost admitted to hospital to be put on a drip. He was in absolute agony for days and couldn't even swallow his own salvia.

Livid isn't strong enough of a word for how I felt.

Good to warn people but I just think sick kids should be at home, until they are no longer contagious. However trivial a disease may seem to some. It has a flow on effect to the other family and the you risk passing it on again.

Glad ur ds didn't catch it.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 28-05-2015 at 11:27.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (28-05-2015),HeavenBlue  (28-05-2015)