+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Day sleep 2 year old help please!

Hi there
    I have a 2 year old who has gone from having a very consistent day sleep 12.30-2.30/3pm to just lately chatting and fussing and not dropping off. I don't know why or what to do. I was hoping it was a phase... I called ngala and they said to persevere that's about all the advice they gave. She really still need her day sleep and I will most deginately persevere but I find it so frustrating. She's full on so we both need that break in the day. Venting so frustrated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsets View Post
    Hi there
    I have a 2 year old who has gone from having a very consistent day sleep 12.30-2.30/3pm to just lately chatting and fussing and not dropping off. I don't know why or what to do. I was hoping it was a phase... I called ngala and they said to persevere that's about all the advice they gave. She really still need her day sleep and I will most deginately persevere but I find it so frustrating. She's full on so we both need that break in the day. Venting so frustrated
    Dr Sears talks about a slept regression 18-24mths where kids fight sleep. Both my kids went thru this phase but as I physically put them to sleep vs leaving to self settle I could always get them to sleep. Another idea is to carb load them at lunch to bring in those lovely sleepy hormones brought on by food.

Will walking or driving them around help?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Sunsets  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh sorry hun, you're not going to like what I have to say! My DD's both gave up their naps at around 2yo. My first DD I persevered for over a year, because I was told that if you keep putting them to bed every day, they will eventually nap again. She didn't. I would give her pasta for lunch, nice dark quiet room, good temperature, soothing voice, and lay with her to settle her for an hour, two sometimes if I was desperate. My 2nd DD, I gave up much sooner! I still put them both into bed with a few books for a quiet rest in the afternoon, though. They 'rest' (or jump on the bed, but whatever!) for around 30 mins every afternoon. It gives us all a break. And the upside is that they go to bed earlier at night, the 2yo around 6.30 pm, the 4yo a little later. But they were both exactly like your DD when they were ready to give up their nap. I found it extremely frustrating trying to make them sleep too. Much better to accept that the days of afternoon naps and breaks are over! Sorry. I hope for your sake that I am wrong, and she begins to nap again!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Sunsets  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Dr Sears talks about a slept regression 18-24mths where kids fight sleep. Both my kids went thru this phase but as I physically put them to sleep vs leaving to self settle I could always get them to sleep. Another idea is to carb load them at lunch to bring in those lovely sleepy hormones brought on by food.

Will walking or driving them around help?

This happened with us. We persevered and she continued to nap until 3. Some days we drove her around, pushed in pram, slept in our bed wtc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    This happened with us. We persevered and she continued to nap until 3. Some days we drove her around, pushed in pram, slept in our bed wtc.
    Mine still nap at almost 3&5yo!! 1.5-3hrs every day.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I understand needing a break for yourself but if she's happy in her cot and happy between getting her up and bed does it matter if she doesn't actually sleep.

My DD Doesn't sleep any more at 3 years old but I always still put her down to get my break and she can totally chill out

9. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Sunsets  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all fit replies and experiences.
    My first daughter dropped her day sleep around this age too but she was not as consistent with her day sleep like DD2. Dd1 was always a battle and she's a different child who will sit quietly and play on her own so I kept up her quiet time.

It's hard when I know so many other kids still sleep till 3.
    I know she needs the sleep.
    I know I might just have to accept that they are on their way out so hopefully I can persevere with quiet time in her cot.
    Has just come out of the blue though. Guess I'm lucky she's good at night always has been.
    Thanks ladies.