+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP, we had our son circumcised when he was a week old. He's now four and a half, and we have absolutely NO regrets. If we ever had another little boy, there'd be no question about getting him circumcised also - he'd be done just like his brother, by the same obstetrician. We're in Melbourne, so no good recommending him to you.

In terms of care afterwards, it was quite simple really. His penis was bandaged when the doctor brought him out to me. From memory, it had to stay that way for 24 hours, and then we had to remove the bandage (easiest way to do this was in a warm bath). After that, we had to give a quick warm salt bath every second day (only a couple of minutes in the bath or it'll sting), and then dress it with Vaseline and some gauze. We had to do this for two weeks so that his nappy didn't stick to him. We saw the obstetrician the week after it was done and he checked it. It's been absolutely fine ever since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi OP I am booking into see dr Russell for my second son due in a few weeks. I phoned and and they quoted me $640 for the procedure. She said you get a little bit back from Medicare. I had my first son done in Townsville and it was similarly priced.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsboyts For This Useful Post:

soulmama  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    OP are you seeing an OB or midwife? They should be able to recommend someone. They have to give you unbiased medical care.
    Totally agree with this. When I was working in the antenatal clinic/home care setting we had the info on hand for doctors in the community who performed circumcisions and snipped tongue ties. Not once did I hear of anyone having an actual discussion with the parents about the specifics. There was never any debate for or against. It was just, here's the people you can go to for more information. Simple. For what it's worth OP I'm sure Terry Russell has a website too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had all 3 of our ds's circumcised. Dh and I had made the decision long before having children that if we had boys they would be circ'd. Our ob actually asked us if it was our intention when we found out we were expecting our first boy, he then passed on the contact of a collegue and ds1 was done in hospital at 4 days old. That dr unfortunately retired and ds2 and ds3 were circ'd in the circumcision clinic, both were 2 weeks old. When ds1 was done the gauze stayed on for a week and by the time it was taken off it was healed, no redness. When ds2 and 3 were done the gauze was removed 24hrs later and we had to apply cream for a week. Because there was no gauze to protect it there was redness for a week or so but after that there was no problems.

My 2 nephews were both done at 6yrs old due to tight foreskins. Their mother and father wanted them circ'd at birth but were made to feel terrible by the staff when asking about it so they didn't bother. That was 14 years ago though.

And just to add, we believe there are many benefits to the procedure and felt it was the right thing to do for our boys, we are totally comfortable with the decision. Having worked in a childrens hospital and knowing the amount of boys having infections/issue's and having to have the procedure done later was an eye opener too.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 16-05-2015 at 18:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What state are you in op? I'm in WA and the price was $380 and you get $130 back from medicare. With ds3 we had reached the safety net so got nearly all back.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Considering Circumcision

I'm in SA and here it was between around mid 400 to be honest I can't remember but I know that Medicare gives back 150-170 something. I think it can range from 350-500 from what I have seen and then you get your rebate back from Medicare.

Sorry for no exact prices mummy of 2 brain. Apparently the younger the quicker the healing and less complications.

Had a friend who didn't want it done but had to get it done for medical reasons. Although in her case it was covered by the government totally but coz he was 9 months old had to be done in hospital. The healing and care was a lot more complicated and obviously is a little bit of a bigger procedure.
    Last edited by Nasim2; 16-05-2015 at 19:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have had both my DS done , prices range between $350.00 and $600.00 , DS one had trouble with his healing as the bell never fell off so they had to cut him again and he has some issues with it still that we have to get looked at when he is a bit older . When my second son was born I was recommend a local doctor that did it and we never had a problem with DS 2 , I wish I had known about doctor that did my second son for my first and we wouldn't be having this trouble :-/ big thumbs up to you for asking around , I was too frightened off what people would say !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just want to say thank you for everyone's post (the pro circ). We're having our second baby due in 6 weeks and if we have a boy we want to have him circumcised. We had no idea the process involved to seek someone out who would do it or the general costs. I am worried that we won't get positive reaction from a medical perspective so I now know to go in with all guns blazing. My DH was done when he was a baby and we both feel very strong about it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to missy1000 For This Useful Post:

Leeann  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missy1000 View Post
    I just want to say thank you for everyone's post (the pro circ). We're having our second baby due in 6 weeks and if we have a boy we want to have him circumcised. We had no idea the process involved to seek someone out who would do it or the general costs. I am worried that we won't get positive reaction from a medical perspective so I now know to go in with all guns blazing. My DH was done when he was a baby and we both feel very strong about it.
    Good on you! Be firm and don't be discouraged by anti circ people if it's what you and your dh want if you have a boy. You should have a circ clinic in the city you live. Look them up and call them to have a chat so you know the ins and outs, put yourself at ease and then at least your prepared before baby is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had our son, then 7 days old, circumcised by Dr Terry Russell at the Russell Medical Centre. Telephone 3349 6444. Excellent service and follow up. The young fellow is now 2 years old and happily cleans himself and fingers crossed, we won't have any dramas with infections in years to come. His father was circumcised, his grandfather had to be done at 70 years old for medical reasons. Costs are partly covered by Medicare.
    Last edited by Leeann; 18-10-2015 at 11:27. Reason: Adding info