+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Considering Circumcision

This will be my first biological son and I am considering circumcision for him (due August). My step son is not circumcised and neither is my partner. However, my partner is suffering from adult phimosis, which is part of where my decision to educate my self a bit more has come from. I'd hate for my son to have to go through circumcision as an adult, watching my partner is killing me.

I am in South East Brisbane and our biggest concern is money. Where can I get reliable information about upfront, out of pocket costs and any rebates we would be entitled to? We do not have private health cover.

In terms of penile care, what is involved? Again, I'm used to an uncircumcised penis and only needing to treat it as a finger when cleaning.

Does anyone have any literature or links to incidence of adult phimosis? What I'm wondering is if it may be hereditary?

Is there anything else I need to know? Anyone that you can recommend in my area? I'm really going into this blind.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I would not circ unless there is a medical reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To me circumcision just in case a child were to have problems in the future is like removing the tonsils or appendix just in case they get recurring tonsillitis/appendicitis.

I haven't and would never get my son circumcised unless there was a overwhelming medical need for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Considering Circumcision

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    She didn't ask wether she should or not according to opinions, she is asking for medical references so that she can make an informed decision.

Op, perhaps a quick Google may help you? Or speaking with a GP in terms of being pointed in the right direction for information in terms of wether the condition is hereditary etc

Can any other hubbers help?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (16-05-2015),KitiK  (16-05-2015),Lauzy  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    To me circumcision just in case a child were to have problems in the future is like removing the tonsils or appendix just in case they get recurring tonsillitis/appendicitis.

I haven't and would never get my son circumcised unless there was a overwhelming medical need for it.
    This is in the pro circ section.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    This is in the pro circ section.
    I was just coming in to say the same thing.

Op my dh is circ'd but his brother is not and his brother is now having issues. When I was pregnant and found out we were having a boy I discussed my concerns about the condition and it being hereditry with medical professionals. I was told that it was not and there was no medical research evidence to say otherwise. Dh and I both thought it was best to get our son circ'd anyway but we then hit barrier after barrier trying to find a doctor who would help us. Unfortunately there were no doctors here that would do it for us so our son hasn't been circ'd as we haven't had the money for travel.

I found from personal experience that a lot of the time you will struggle to find a doctor that will provide unbiased advice. Hopefully there are some hubbers in your area that can point you in the right direction for a medical professional who can give you unbiased advice on your situation.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I did not say anything against circ. she is saying she is worried about a medical reason that could happen in the future. I would not circ in her position unless there was a medical reason.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

StillHopeful  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did not say anything against circ. she is saying she is worried about a medical reason that could happen in the future. I would not circ in her position unless there was a medical reason.
    There's nothing constructive about your comment. She never asked whether people would circ, she asked for information.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Happyma  (13-05-2015),heplusme  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just warning you OP, this topic tends to bring out some really opinionated people.

From what I understand, phimosis and other penile problems are *sometimes* linked to genetics, but from what I've read, it's not a really clear link. I haven't been able to find much on it actually.

In any case, as your DH may know, phimosis is often successfully treated with steroids and stretching. So even if your DS does have it, circ may not be necessary.

It can be quite difficult to get unbiased information about circ, even from medical professionals, as people tend to be either for or against. But keep researching, get as much information to help you make your decision as possible. I can't help you with a doctor, as I'm not in your area.

FWIW, one of my kids went through horrible torturous trouble with his foreskin. Getting medical help was an ongoing drama, as dr's are so afraid of recommending circumcision these days. If I ever had another boy, I would have trouble in deciding whether to have him circ'd or not. On one hand, it doesn't really make sense to do it 'just in case', but on the other hand, I'd rather save him from all that pain, especially when as I said, even when there was an obvious medical reason for my DS2 to be circ'd, no one would consider it. I guess in hindsight I could have just been really really demanding to get it done, which is probably what I would do if it ever occurred again with another child, rather than having him routinely circ'd.
    It's a hard decision I know!

Edit- re. rebates, once you find a dr, you could just ring the surgery to ask for costs and they will be able to tell you how much you get back from medicare.
    Last edited by CMF; 13-05-2015 at 09:57.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    The header of this section states:

For those wanting to ask questions about the procedure, medical practitioners, after-effects etc. Any attempts by viewers to tell viewers why they shouldn't circumcise will be removed.
    Please refrain from posting that you 'wouldn't circ' or similar. This is not the area of the forum where one can post to debate or discuss circ in a negative light.

Any further posts in this vein will be deleted.

Thank you.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Happyma  (13-05-2015),Lauzy  (15-05-2015),munchkin275  (13-05-2015)