+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Third day of daycare - exhausted

Ok ds (10 months) has just started daycare 3 consecutive days a week.

Today is the third day. Hes exhausted, hes been screaming all morning. Luckily dh is home cause the only way ive been able to get ready for work is to have dh sit & rock him. Hes still crying though. Normally dh wont be here & ill just have to leave him to scream

Has anyone else experienced this? How do you manage it? Im not into leaving him to scream but i dont know what else im meant to do when i need to eat brekkie & get ready for work.

I cant really change my work pattern or reduce my days, i thought 3 days was reasonable & would be fine. Ds loves daycare, but they often have trouble getting him down for a sleep as well so im concerned that he'll be more overtired than he is now & hysterical by the end of the day.

If he does this every Wednesday i dont know what im going to do. Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It might just take a few weeks for him to settle in? My DS was close to 2 when he started 2 days a week but he used to get really tired on daycare days in the beginning, was a long day for him. Now he’s settled in, he goes down for sleeps really well (better than he does at home!) and i find he’s less cranky in the evenings.

You could try getting him down to bed earlier on day care days but that sometimes just doesn’t work out. Maybe have a chat to the daycare to see what they are trying to get him to sleep, they might be able to try something different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They say it can take 6 weeks to settle in. Just do your best and keep going. He will be fine in no time. Just a heads up the first year if daycare is shocking for colds and sickness so if you have a back up plan that is useful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    My ds was very similar at that age, even now he has his moments. It takes time for them to settle into a new routine. I had to get him and myself ready as dp leaves the house super early for work. Sometimes i have to let him cry. At that age i sat him on our bedroom floor with his toys or bottle and made a game out of me getting ready. Do you try follow daycares routine at home for nap times and meal times? I found that took the stress out a little as ds knew what would be happening when. Don't give up its still early days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I make sure everything is packed day before and I get up before the kids (horrible I know!!)

Kids are horrible by day three but they always sleep well going to childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont work, but when we have to leave the house early, i have everything packed the night before, the kids & my clothes laid out,etc. I get up 20 mins before the kids to get myself dressed, & i get brekkie then if I can, otherwise i eat brekkie on the run - pour a bowl of museli if i am one handed, and grab a bite as Im rushing around like crazy, lol. Hopefully you will fgure out a good morning routine to make it very smooth on days when he is extra tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Day 3 is hard as as PP said it takes ages for them to get used to it.

Ways to make things easier.
    Lay all clothes, pack all lunches the night before. Set bags up by door.
    Wake 30min before Bub and get yourself ready.
    Pre make an easy brekkie for you to have - banana smoothie, breakfast muffin or wrap that you can eat one handed whilst on transport to work. When I used to catch PT to work I used to drink smoothies in a drink bottle. Now I drive and I eat a banana on the road and brekky when I get to work.
    Have baby's dinner ready as soon as you get home. I still never cook on daycare days. Just reheat meals and give my girls their dinner 3-4min after we walk in the door.

I've been getting my two up and out the door by 6.10am for 2-3 mornings a week now since jan 2013. They were 7mths and 2.5yrs old. Then I used to wake at 4.45am as I had to express before work. Now I get up at 5.20am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that it takes a few weeks but they do adjust. We went through it again at the start of the year with DS adjusting from 2-3 days to 5. He used to have a short nap on daycare days then catch up on days at home, but he didn't have weekdays home so has to learn to nap longer there every day. It took a while, but he worked it out.

For DD, who loved an early bedtime, I had a sandwich packed for her to eat on the way home, then it was just milk and bed straight away. She'd always have casserole or something at daycare for lunch so I didn't stress about her having a 'proper' dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 1 year old has finally settled in 4 weeks later.
    At first he was exactly how you are describing you son. I would have to let him scream for a couple minutes while I got dressed and ready.
    4 weeks on he's finally settling into a regular nap time and having2-3 hour stretches. Hang in there!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks ladies illl wait & hope he settles soon & hopefully i wont have to leave him to scream too often as it makes me upset & he won calm down then