+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default After school care

So I am having to change my work hours and my ds has recently had changes to his time spent with FOB. I am struggling to find after school care every fortnight for up to 2 hours on 2-3 days. Ds's school has after school care but there is a waiting list and because I only want it fortnightly I have been told that I am less likely to secure a spot. Anyhow my friend's dd is 12 and has asked if she can do babysitting for me. I would never leave dd with her but ds is almost 8. Miss 12 would have to get my ds from school to home (about a 500m walk), get him a snack, settle him into his homework and on occasion turn the slow cooker on to finish off a half cooked meal. Miss 12 is pretty responsible for her age, good at doing her own homework, owns a mobile phone and happy to only work every 2nd week. It is highly possible that once my mum is out of hospital then my mum will be in the house at the same time (though she herself won't be able to do the supervision). There is also an after school activity that I could have ds do on one of those days and the school bus stops right outside so they could go together and I could collect them both after the class.

Do you think 12 is too young based on the expectations and my description? I can be seen chasing ds with cotton wool at times so this is not an easy decision for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My brother was looking after his two younger siblings from age 10. We were 6 and 8 and is wasn't as mature as your DD.

I would let DD look after your 8yo and I wouldn't even call it a job tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    My brother was looking after his two younger siblings from age 10. We were 6 and 8 and is wasn't as mature as your DD.

I would let DD look after your 8yo and I wouldn't even call it a job tbh.
    Just to clarify, it is my friend's 12 yo dd and she charges $10 per day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think she's a little too young, especially with what you want her to do while she's there.
    I have a 12yo and an almost 8yo (and an almost 10yo), and occasionally they will walk home together if I am still at work. The 12yo and 10yo is not the problem, it's putting a little 8yo onto them as their responsibility that worries me. They are often only home half an hour before I get home, sometimes an hour. In that time, they get themselves afternoon tea, and then just relax.

If you do get her to walk him home, I think just getting him home and getting him a snack is sufficient. I think all the other jobs is too much, and IMO should be the parents responsibility.