+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default embryo grow till day 6 unable to do genetic test or freezing

Hi gals, im puzzled with my current ivf cycle. I had 3 stimulation cycles, 5 embryo transfer. Starting in April 2015 with short cycle. Had 14 eggs and 8 fertilised. By day 4, I was told 7 embryos grow good. We are so excited. 2 very good blastocytes transfered on day5. I was told the rest of 5 were not suitable to do genetic test and need to wait till next day. I did ask, can theybe freezed? The answer is YES. However, the lab rang me on day 6, all the 5 embryos were unable to do genetic test, and unable to freeze as well. Because the embryos were not formed to get pregnant. But by my understanding, if the embryo could grow up to day 5, the lab should be able to tell if they grow properly with the proper parts to become a fetus. They did tell me on day 5 they could freeze them by day6. I really devastated. Did anyone have the same experience?

Ps. I have been taking herbal medicine and acupuncture for more than 4 months to prepare this cycle. Today is day 3 after 2 blastocyte transfer. Feel nothing.
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So sorry to hear your precious blasties couldnt be frozen. Must be frustrating and heart breaking. *hugs* I've read something on a forum that's the exact same comments as you. Grew to day 5 fine and then day 6 none frozen. The answer was that in order to freeze they need to be of a quality even higher than fresh day 5 transfer. Apparently the standards for freezing are really high because they have to go through so much (freeze then survive thaw) and also when they thaw they go back a few steps too and need to grow again. I had a day 5 fresh transfer and then my other blasties although were good quality compacting blasts had to be grown an extra day to day 6. The embryologist warned they still may not be good enough to freeze depending on standards. So I think it's irresponsible for your clinic to say 'yes' even tho with your qty it was probably likely some could be frozen. Mine luckily could still be frozen because they ended up becoming even better quality than my day 5 blasty that was transferred and they continued growing to a good stage (I.e one full blast and one hatching).

I hope that helps and all the besy for this cycle. Don't worry about not feeling anything. I didn't feel anything with my bfp until week 6!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Helen13 every time I thought I was pregnant I wasn't and every time I was sure I wasn't I was. You will never ever know until you poas and see 2 lines. Then you will drive yourself nuts about is the line dark enough etc gah it's hard work.

The embryo freezing thing is interesting. The stats have improved significantly to outweigh fresh transfers in that FET has a higher success rate than fresh. Honestly this is because they have made the standards higher for freezing therefor increasing the success rates and their stats. I do believe that they could be a bit on the harsh side of improving stats but they do have a good "feel" for what will be a good embryo and what won't. It's so hard. I feel for you. What clinic are you with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^really? Where did you find the info regarding the stats?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @telati. It such a big surprise for 7 embryos on day 5, and a drastic disappointment for unable to freeze any on day 6. Anyway, I stopped thinking about it. Just wish time flies till the blood test day.
    @Lily, thank you for sharing. After the 5 transfers I wont believe any little symptoms, they all can be false information due to meds or any other things. I think The 3 months preparation by acupuncture, herbal medicine, vitamin, exercise, and less stress, did help to prepare my body good to have 7 embryos. And the acupuncture before n after transfer to help me to relax and ease the abdo bloating reduce fast in 2 days. Now I felt perfectly normal n energetic as before the cycle starts. I will ignore the sore breast n occasion cramps at night, as they might due to the meds. My blood test is on 19 May. Finger crossed for a positive result.

Thank you so much loves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default embryo grow till day 6 unable to do genetic test or freezing

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    ^^really? Where did you find the info regarding the stats?
    My clinic publish the stats. I think all do. Over the years I have seen FET pass fresh to be more successful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so scrared to post my progress to any related thread. But I think it still good to share. I got BFP since 5dpt 2 hatching blastocytes, and the 2nd line getting darker each day till beta day(10dpt . 19 May 15). Its positive with hcg 106, but progestrone 15. We are just excited for a moment, started bleeding with dar brown color accompanied by dry things (guess its crinol residual). Im not worried much. But nurse told me to start progestrone pessaries 3 times a day. On the night, red color discharges appeared. Im frightened. Next day (11dpt), the dark brown discharges got less and we went to our accupunture Dr to seek advice. I had accupunture and new herbal meds. But the night bleed again more fresh, whole night cramp and I couldnt sleep well. Cramp last till next whole day with more fresh bleed. Im at work, the pain and blood made crashed. I wend for 2nd beta on 22 May. Progestrone went up to 40, but hcg go down to 78. Nurse told me to stop all meds and repeat bloods next friday to get 0 hcg. I rang the accupuncture Dr to cancel next appt, he told me to continue the herbal meds untill see him again next wed. I kneq I tried to help me. But I did feel its gone. I have no feeling again.

Hpt can be positive by 5dpt, I believe both embryos stick, but lost again. Iam really confused. DH sperm is bordine line and i response to treatment well, no issues with egg, ovaries, utrus or hormone, very regular period. But the bub never stick. Wondering whats the reason? Could be emembryo issue? Not sure if anyone has the same issue?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Olive Oil, I'm pretty sure it's not the embryo itself that makes the difference (re: fresh v. frozen) but the internal environment. The way they freeze these days (vitrification) ensures the frozen ones are virtually the same quality as the fresh.

The difference is that the environment for implantation is often better with no IVF meds in the woman's system - hence the FET working the same, if not better for many women.

Not to say fresh doesn't work (it did for me) but letting your body return to a more normal state is likely to increase odds.