+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    899
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked
    406
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPink View Post
    Can someone give me an explanation as to why a pharmacist has to be two and a half feet up above everybody else?

    Brain surgeons, airline pilots, nuclear physicists, we're all on the same level but they have to be two and a half feet up. 'Look out, I'm working with pills'

    😂😂😂😂😂
    Lol! It's very old school from the days when the Pharmacist didn't talk to the customers. Ever. They could look down & see the whole shop.
    I hate it - up and down stairs all day because nowadays "gasp" the Pharmacist is expected to come out & talk to the customers!
    Most refurbished chemists have the dispensary on floor level or even "pods" where you can chat to them while they dispense your script.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (13-05-2015)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    190
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked
    123
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Lol! It's very old school from the days when the Pharmacist didn't talk to the customers. Ever. They could look down & see the whole shop.
    I hate it - up and down stairs all day because nowadays "gasp" the Pharmacist is expected to come out & talk to the customers!
    Most refurbished chemists have the dispensary on floor level or even "pods" where you can chat to them while they dispense your script.
    Hehe Rosie I was quoting a Seinfeld quote but your response is gorgeous. I have a lot of respect for your profession and would be so happy if one of my kids wanted to be a Pharmacist. Also, my local pharmacy doesn't have the raised platform and is very chatty and informative

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinkPink For This Useful Post:

    rosey82  (13-05-2015),~Marigold~  (13-05-2015)

  5. #23
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,351
    Thanks
    5,878
    Thanked
    4,888
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I knew it had to be something but I've never understood what.
    @rosey82, as a pharmacist then, a PP mentioned compounding omerzerapol (spelling?? Nexium reflux meds) are they less effective if compounded?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

    pixiepie  (13-05-2015)

  7. #24
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked
    29
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I knew it had to be something but I've never understood what.
    @rosey82, as a pharmacist then, a PP mentioned compounding omerzerapol (spelling?? Nexium reflux meds) are they less effective if compounded?
    I'd love to know that too!

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,906
    Thanks
    2,088
    Thanked
    2,761
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I knew it had to be something but I've never understood what.
    @rosey82, as a pharmacist then, a PP mentioned compounding omerzerapol (spelling?? Nexium reflux meds) are they less effective if compounded?
    I've heard they lose effect after about 3 weeks.

  9. #26
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked
    29
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I've heard they lose effect after about 3 weeks.
    I get a new one every 28 days and don't have issues in the last week.

  10. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    899
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked
    406
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Random Question... Why does it take so long to fill a prescription?

    Generally liquids have a shorter shelf life than solids. That's why antibiotics for kids come in a powder that we add water to when dispensing, then must be used in 7-14 days. We can keep the powder on the shelf for ages, but the liquid just doesn't keep.
    The omeprazole suspension has a shelf life of about 4 weeks after being made up, then it starts to deteriorate, can harbour bacteria etc. it should say on the label "discard after xxxx"

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (13-05-2015)

  12. #28
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,351
    Thanks
    5,878
    Thanked
    4,888
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Generally liquids have a shorter shelf life than solids. That's why antibiotics for kids come in a powder that we add water to when dispensing, then must be used in 7-14 days. We can keep the powder on the shelf for ages, but the liquid just doesn't keep.
    The omeprazole suspension has a shelf life of about 4 weeks after being made up, then it starts to deteriorate, can harbour bacteria etc. it should say on the label "discard after xxxx"
    So can I take the Nexium script in and ask for it to be compounded or do I need a new script? Do you add flavour to make it more palatable? The broken down tablets are horrible tasting and gritty. Bleugh!

  13. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    899
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked
    406
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    So can I take the Nexium script in and ask for it to be compounded or do I need a new script? Do you add flavour to make it more palatable? The broken down tablets are horrible tasting and gritty. Bleugh!
    Yes they add flavour & thickener to make the suspension more palatable.
    Google "compounding pharmacy" & your local area then give them a call to get a quote, I don't do much compounding but last I heard a months supply of suspension was about $70 in my area.
    I'm pretty sure if the script gives a dose eg: nexium 20mg tablets, give 10mg (half a tablet) once a day, they should be able to compound it for you but don't quote me it's not my area of expertise!
    The cost of compounding puts a lot of people off & its not covered on PBS unfortunately 😔

  14. #30
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,351
    Thanks
    5,878
    Thanked
    4,888
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

    Default Random Question... Why does it take so long to fill a prescription?

    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Yes they add flavour & thickener to make the suspension more palatable.
    Google "compounding pharmacy" & your local area then give them a call to get a quote, I don't do much compounding but last I heard a months supply of suspension was about $70 in my area.
    I'm pretty sure if the script gives a dose eg: nexium 20mg tablets, give 10mg (half a tablet) once a day, they should be able to compound it for you but don't quote me it's not my area of expertise!
    The cost of compounding puts a lot of people off & its not covered on PBS unfortunately 😔
    The only way I can get it into him is in his solids but I'm starting to think it's not effective that way, so I'd pay anything for it to be more effective.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

    rosey82  (13-05-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-02-2015, 19:17
  2. Random question
    By 2BlueBirds in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 10:41
  3. What to fill with?
    By bubbabailey in forum Cloth Pad Mums
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-05-2014, 18:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Hunter Women's Health Centre
Hunter Women’s Health Centre care for women of all ages, in the full spectrum of their gynaecologic and obstetric health.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!