+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Real Estate-Photography

I have just had a letter delivered stating that the real estate will be doing an inspection, no dramas, place is spotless except for babies room which isnt set up yet due to hubby being away.

Scroll down the page and it says "A video recording will be taken of the inspection for our records."

I have never had this before, and for some reason it really isnt sitting well with me. Photos of a wall or damaged item i wouldnt care, but a video would be full walk through, and include all of our belongings and personal things.

Can they do that? I feel like its a bit of an invasion of privacy that the landlord will know exactly what we own and where it is..and who knows what hands it could fall in to down the track with our address in the 'records' etc.

Can i refuse the video?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Real Estate-Photography

Technically yes they can take a video as long as it meets the privacy act requirements which state we can't take images of tenants personal photos /anything that can identify you , so I would remove any items you wouldn't want seen

we have in our leases that we can take photos for inspections and marketing so the tenants are aware before they enter into the lease but we've never done videos which I think is more intrusive and if they don't have it in your lease and your not comfortable with it then say you feel it is an invasion of your privacy and security and you do not consent to it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Maybe talk to them and ask how they are going to shoot it, mentioning your concerns about privacy. They might be reasonable about it (there's a first for everything) and perhaps only shoot certain views?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its funny, im not usually an overly protective person but for some reason this irks me! Maybe its my 'nesting' baby hormones

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My real estate quite often taken photos during inspections and this I'm fine with but a video I would be uneasy about as well, especially with what you have mentioned, they'll have a complete walk through of everything you own. Especially considering they also have a set of keys to the property. I'd ask the property manager if they'd mind taking photos instead.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cannot understand why they would need a video surely photos are sufficient.

If it happened to me I would refuse on the grounds that it's an invasion of our privacy.

Usually there is something about giving a tenant privacy for the duration of the lease unless there is 48 hours written notice but if I had to 'pack' away some of my house to maintain my privacy for a video I would consider that a breach of privacy.

You could contact the tenants board of your state to find out if it's a reasonable request or not...

Thanks
    Reviews
    my real estate photograph every room, they keep the photos on file, its so if they think Ive damaged something theyve got the photos on file,
    they have 5 years of photos from me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ThenThereWereThree View Post
    my real estate photograph every room, they keep the photos on file, its so if they think Ive damaged something theyve got the photos on file,
    they have 5 years of photos from me.
    I totally dont mind photos..its just the video aspect. I think its kind of creepy that they will have a full walk through

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ask if the owner intends on selling - normally we only do videos for auction properties so they might be doing that?