+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
    I've been in hysterical pregnant tears over this - my hubby just alerted me to the "double dipping" proposal. I'm due to have a bub in 4 months & had budgeted on my employer leave & federal PPL so I can stay home for 12 months with my 2 children under 2. If this comes in soon, I'm up **** creek. Would be back at work after 4 months - and already having a bub, know how hard that would be. Feeling rather stressed, which is just what I don't need.
    If it's any comfort, I highly doubt this will get through, Labor won't let it. I know many dual income families voted for the Libs last election. Vote with your feet next time girls. Bc they don't care about you or me

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Falkor  (10-05-2015),Preshy2008  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsKastanas View Post
    My beautiful mum was a SAHM and I loved every minute with her. Growing up I just assumed I would do the same thing. I wish I could unfortunately we cannot survive on DH wage alone.
    I'm in the same boat. We are all just doing the very best we can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    If it's any comfort, I highly doubt this will get through, Labor won't let it. I know many dual income families voted for the Libs last election. Vote with your feet next time girls. Bc they don't care about you or me
    I kinda want the CC stuff to go thru but not the PPL stuff.

Is that horribly wrong of me?

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Falkor  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This double dipping crap ****es me off.

Why tear women down who have good EA's, who were able to negotiate a good contract, who are in a unionised workforce? We should be striving for ALL of us to have both employee and government PPL.

Why not aim for all women to have a replacement wage plus super for 6 months? We are 50% of the population, we have to work 15 years longer than our male counterparts to fund our retirements, why should we tolerate this?

Aim for better!

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (14-05-2015),BlissedOut  (10-05-2015),clbj  (10-05-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (10-05-2015),Falkor  (10-05-2015),JR03  (10-05-2015),just her chameleon  (10-05-2015),Lillac  (10-05-2015),MINIRoo  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    At risk of getting stones thrown in my direction, can we sit back and think for a moment that we are lucky to be living somewhere where the government is providing us with money when we have a baby? Helping to pay for cc, ppl, parenting payments, school bonuses etc.

Atm I am hearing a lot of whining about this budget and in my opinion it seems as though we have become a bit of a self entitled society. Generations before us got no form of help from the government when they had families and they got by. Yes the cost of living was lower but then so were wages. If one of the parents stayed home with the children they adjusted their budget to allow for it. Unfortunately due to health reasons I had to resign whilst pregnant so didn't get any ppl only the newborn supplement. My dh and I were aware that our income was taking a massive hit, more 50k per year, so adjusted our expenses so that we could afford for me to stay home with our ds. This meant we moved to a cheaper house, adjusted our spending habits, budgeted and meal planned, sold our car and bought a cheaper one, well you get the idea.

We figured it was our choice to be parents and start a family so we made sure that we weren't relying on anyone. Anything we currently get from the government is a bonus. I'm now looking to return to work, we are looking at care for our ds in the same manner, basically working our budget and planning it around what we know we will be earning.

At no point will we allow our choices be altered by what the government will and won't pay. Whatever they do offer for us will be a bonus. We are lucky to live somewhere where we can get that bonus.

*running away to duck for cover*

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    we've also had to live within our means. We live very frugally. We coped losing the baby bonus and bought all our stuff for DS2 before the birth. so i agree. But having friends in the city - the housing costs are astronomical renting or buying. Not much you can do there but to live with your parents and no one wants that long term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My beautiful mum was a SAHM and I loved every minute with her. Growing up I just assumed I would do the same thing. I wish I could unfortunately we cannot survive on DH wage alone.
    You know I always thought the same thing! Reality is such a pain.

This has got me REALLY worried as we only just found out we are expecting. I truly hope it will never get passed...surely they'd need to give people a moment to change their budgets and work out if they can afford a child before having one!

The nerve of a government coming in on a promise of 6 months full pay to all working parents only to effectively cut any government ppl to any working mum with a few weeks leave as a perk of her employment. What a disgusting, rude and ignorant backflip.

I truly feel sorry for sahm who are now only entitled to $300 for each child. It's a such a small token. I guess from my perspective I was feeling very fortunate to have access to gppl and ppl as it gave me 6 months at home before needing to go back to work. 18 weeks doesn't feel enough with a 12 week old baby going to day care. I don't think I 'deserve' two bites at the cherry as it has been put but it is certainly a move in the right direction for working women.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

Monkey Joy  (11-05-2015),MrsK1984  (10-05-2015),Preshy2008  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
    I've been in hysterical pregnant tears over this - my hubby just alerted me to the "double dipping" proposal. I'm due to have a bub in 4 months & had budgeted on my employer leave & federal PPL so I can stay home for 12 months with my 2 children under 2. If this comes in soon, I'm up **** creek. Would be back at work after 4 months - and already having a bub, know how hard that would be. Feeling rather stressed, which is just what I don't need.
    I may be wrong, but if the new budget is to be implemented 2017 you may not be affected.. Nor will I as I am due in 3.5 months (with my unplanned baby that I didn't get a chance to prepare financially for...)

Nevertheless it's hard to swallow, I've worked hard for my employer the best part of a decade and deserve the 6 weeks I signed up for so long ago.. And I've paid taxes since I was 14 and also think I'm entitled to govt ppl. I don't believe is double dipping, I think I it's an archaic attitude and huge backflip on the 6months full pay they were offering not so long ago. I'm confused and no doubt will spend way too much time reviewing my budget spreadsheet over and over again this week

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Preshy2008 For This Useful Post:

Falkor  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Who cares if it's double dipping if it means a mum can stay home with her new born longer? The government aren't looking at the bigger picture at all.
    Yes... They say double dipping like its a huge rort that need to be cracked down on. In reality it's a partial means to the non malicious desire for a parent to spend at least 6 months home with bub.

There are plenty other Rorts, actually involving real *********, that the Government could get their budget savings from.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Falkor  (10-05-2015),JR03  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I kinda want the CC stuff to go thru but not the PPL stuff.

Is that horribly wrong of me?

lol no, you are entitled to your opinion. But I guess I want you to ask yourself do you see the discrepancies in that? That you want working mums to be valued both tangibly and non tangibly but you don't want that for those at home? remember SAHM's only get 2 days @ 30% off currently.

Imagine you ARE at home. With no family, no friends, your husband works a million hours and you have no support. Should you pay up to $150 a day? Should you even get a place?

We are all contributing to society. You are valuable, so am I. If you want the tax payer to help you be at home with your child should I not get a portion of that (bc I recognise I'm home long term so I shouldn't get as much as you per fortnight if that makes sense)? Anyhoo I digress

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

munchkin275  (10-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (10-05-2015)

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the language used by the government is more of the issue – the term ‘double dipping’ suggests that people are being unfair and are milking the system. Straight away the sniping starts, and it in no way infers any men double dipping, so is a swipe at women (again) – thanks Minister for Women – glad you got my back!

I think the angst shown in the thread is proof that the government has done a great job pitting people against each other in a bid to ‘win’ their budget wars.

When a government needs to get support by using pejorative language this is all the proof that I need that it will do damage.

Many governments have been doing it – the term ‘dole bludgers’ being a classic example of this methodology. However this government seems to have a heavy reliance on deriding the people it governs: ‘lifestyle choices’, ‘nation of lifters not leaners’ and now ‘double dipping’.

I wish they would get a mirror and start throwing their fancy language at themselves.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oblena For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (14-05-2015),Falkor  (10-05-2015),NoteToSelf  (10-05-2015),Preshy2008  (10-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2015),VicPark  (10-05-2015)