+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Hold the fort, I don't think anyone is arguing that SAHMs should be penalised like they are being in the budget. I'm certainly not. I think you're getting a freakin raw deal as well.

Of course being a SAHM should be supported.

You've made exactly my point - why should you be forced to be 'relying on your husband' - how belittling is that!

SAHMs are getting screwed in this budget just as badly. As if they've all made a 'lifestyle choice' to sip lattes at the cafe. What a crock.

What about parents of kids with special needs who have to stay home? Their contribution saves our economy massively yet the budget package is going to penalise them massively and worst of all, penalise the kids.

There's no choice for women in this budget. There's no forward feminist thinking. It's all 1950's stuff.

I'd better stop ranting now I'm going to put myself into labour.
    Thank you When the baby bonus was lessened about 3-4 years ago maybe? there were a lot of threads on here and some of the same members in this thread arguing they should get 2 bites of the cherry to stay home long term were the same ones who were very scathing saying SAHM's should get squat bc why should the tax payer fund us staying at home with our baby? Then when it was cut in favour of the newborn payment last year there were more threads in the same vein.

I'm actually not opposed to PPL in fact I'm support of it. I guess I'm just a bit jaded with these type of threads where members don't seem to get the irony of their position. That it's more than fine to fund working women to stay home, but sahm's should get squat. Just recently the CC thread is a perfect example. Bc apparently being at home means you don't deserve both a CC place and any financial support to utilise even a day.

I agree with your 1950's budget thinking. Working mums are hit, being at home you are hit. basically being a woman equates to penalisation. I equal being at home now with leprosy on here sometimes

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (10-05-2015),MrsK1984  (10-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preshy2008 View Post
    Can anyone tell me when this will come into effect? I will be effected as I get six weeks paid from my employer. I am petrified go how hard it will be without the extra cash
    Slated for 2017 but very unlikely to get through the senate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Preshy2008  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Thank you When the baby bonus was lessened about 3-4 years ago maybe? there were a lot of threads on here and some of the same members in this thread arguing they should get 2 bites of the cherry to stay home long term were the same ones who were very scathing saying SAHM's should get squat bc why should the tax payer fund us staying at home with our baby? Then when it was cut in favour of the newborn payment last year there were more threads in the same vein.

I'm actually not opposed to PPL in fact I'm support of it. I guess I'm just a bit jaded with these type of threads where members don't seem to get the irony of their position. That it's more than fine to fund working women to stay home, but sahm's should get squat. Just recently the CC thread is a perfect example. Bc apparently being at home means you don't deserve both a CC place and any financial support to utilise even a day.

I agree with your 1950's budget thinking. Working mums are hit, being at home you are hit. basically being a woman equates to penalisation. I equal being at home now with leprosy on here sometimes
    Nah not leprosy

I'd love to be a SAHM. Women should be supported to do what's right for them and their families.

Ultimately, having kids contributes future workers and is something society should support.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

delirium  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My beautiful mum was a SAHM and I loved every minute with her. Growing up I just assumed I would do the same thing. I wish I could unfortunately we cannot survive on DH wage alone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsK1984 For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsKastanas View Post
    My beautiful mum was a SAHM and I loved every minute with her. Growing up I just assumed I would do the same thing. I wish I could unfortunately we cannot survive on DH wage alone.
    I felt sad reading this. I'm sorry you have no choice. The only reason we can afford to have me home is to rent and live rurally. I blame in part the housing market. If buying a house was affordable like in our grandparents time, more women would have a choice. When you live in Sydney with a gigantic mortgage for a 2 bedroom box..... well it's impossible to stay home

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MrsK1984  (10-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Anyone know what the work requirement will be? I can't find the details on numbers of hours or even any mention of study??

Thanks
    Reviews
    @delirium i believe a mother should be able to help support her family as best they can. If thats by being a SAHM mum then thats fantastic. Id love to do the same but apparently my partner earns to much so im not eligible for any help from the govt. Fair enough tahts fine. It does mean i have to return to work for 12 hours a week to cover that little extra.
    I got $225 a week from my employer and $642 from Centrelink. Which was triple my min wage. I would be fine with them 18 weeks at an average of what i earnt for the following 12 months or whatever. But to completely disregard the need for most mothers to need it is moving backwards. Again why cant i spend time with my newborn baby while i can afford too? Im not double dipping by any means, im raising my child.
    I believe ALL mums no matter their lifestyle choices should be entitled to some help. I think its lovely that some women can be SAHM and i wish in future it will be easier for all women to make that choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been in hysterical pregnant tears over this - my hubby just alerted me to the "double dipping" proposal. I'm due to have a bub in 4 months & had budgeted on my employer leave & federal PPL so I can stay home for 12 months with my 2 children under 2. If this comes in soon, I'm up **** creek. Would be back at work after 4 months - and already having a bub, know how hard that would be. Feeling rather stressed, which is just what I don't need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm with @delirium on this.

I'd also like to point out that when the Abbott government DID propose for the PPL scheme to match women's income, there was a bit of a hissy fit about it here on the hub...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At risk of getting stones thrown in my direction, can we sit back and think for a moment that we are lucky to be living somewhere where the government is providing us with money when we have a baby? Helping to pay for cc, ppl, parenting payments, school bonuses etc.

Atm I am hearing a lot of whining about this budget and in my opinion it seems as though we have become a bit of a self entitled society. Generations before us got no form of help from the government when they had families and they got by. Yes the cost of living was lower but then so were wages. If one of the parents stayed home with the children they adjusted their budget to allow for it. Unfortunately due to health reasons I had to resign whilst pregnant so didn't get any ppl only the newborn supplement. My dh and I were aware that our income was taking a massive hit, more 50k per year, so adjusted our expenses so that we could afford for me to stay home with our ds. This meant we moved to a cheaper house, adjusted our spending habits, budgeted and meal planned, sold our car and bought a cheaper one, well you get the idea.

We figured it was our choice to be parents and start a family so we made sure that we weren't relying on anyone. Anything we currently get from the government is a bonus. I'm now looking to return to work, we are looking at care for our ds in the same manner, basically working our budget and planning it around what we know we will be earning.

At no point will we allow our choices be altered by what the government will and won't pay. Whatever they do offer for us will be a bonus. We are lucky to live somewhere where we can get that bonus.

*running away to duck for cover*

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-05-2015),Monkey Joy  (11-05-2015),Renn  (10-05-2015),waterlily  (10-05-2015)