+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    If you are still well, which I'm assuming you will be, you can get the drs cert. I'm unsure of your circumstances so it's hard to say how it should work. The govt PPL provides 18 weeks. I'm not advocating a woman live off 4 weeks of employer PPL. I'm simply saying that if it matches the current govt PPL then collecting 2 lots of PPL to me, is double dipping.
    And if you aren't well?

The govt ppl is minimum wage.

Compare it to the average Aust wage and it lasts half that time so you're talking 9 weeks. Earn anything above the average wage and it lasts even less time.

Under the current scheme if you're Mrs Average on the average wage and get 4 weeks from your employer, the govt scheme brings you to a total of 13 weeks - that's hardly a nice long holiday.

Assuming you stop at 37 weeks which is pretty widely recommended, that's putting a ten week old in childcare.

If it's your first and the baby is a week late, that's a 9 week old in childcare.

How is that good for the baby's development, the mothers recovery or the workforce?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

MrsK1984  (10-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsKastanas View Post
    Who cares if it's double dipping if it means a mum can stay home with her new born longer? The government aren't looking at the bigger picture at all.
    You get 18 weeks though? I actually support you being at home. I'm just seeing huge discrepancies in the arguments on this forum when we discuss having a baby. SAHM's don't deserve any payments or support bc it's a choice, but working mums should get 2 lots of PPL so they get full pay for 6-12 months each baby. Bc children deserve to have their mothers home for extended periods..... but only if you work.

I'd actually be way better off financially if I worked a day or 2 got 50% CC and heaps in PPL while paying no tax, then being a single income family.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    But the point is not about entitlement. It's not enough. It's going backwards.

The four weeks isn't enough.

The 18weeks at min wage isn't enough unless you actually happen to be on minimum wage.

Neither are enough even when combined for a whole lot of women and what the govt is proposing is less than not enough. It's backwards.

It's saying that it's not important to allow women time to care for a baby.

That they should suck it up. Rely on their husbands if they want the "lifestyle choice" of caring for a little baby.

Never mind the fact that babies are the future economic drivers so that when the current generation retires there is still a workforce to pay for and deliver aged care and economic growth.

It's bad policy, it's a rollback of the landmark paid parental leave entitlements that were so hard fought for, and its at its absolute worst for single mothers.

As I said previously - what a thing to announce on Mother's Day.
    The $500 I got for my baby really wasn't enough either, but as a lowly SAHM that 'relies on my husband' I've been told I don't deserve more. So we saved.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-05-2015),AngelicOne  (10-05-2015),ChelleBH  (10-05-2015),Lillynix  (10-05-2015),Renn  (10-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You get 18 weeks though? I actually support you being at home. I'm just seeing huge discrepancies in the arguments on this forum when we discuss having a baby. SAHM's don't deserve any payments or support bc it's a choice, but working mums should get 2 lots of PPL so they get full pay for 6-12 months each baby. Bc children deserve to have their mothers home for extended periods..... but only if you work.

I'd actually be way better off financially if I worked a day or 2 got 50% CC and heaps in PPL while paying no tax, then being a single income family.

The $500 I got for my baby really wasn't enough either, but as a lowly SAHM that 'relies on my husband' I've been told I don't deserve more. So we saved.
    As a SAHP you haven't lost any income?

It does make sense to be better financially if you do work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Hold the fort, I don't think anyone is arguing that SAHMs should be penalised like they are being in the budget. I'm certainly not. I think you're getting a freakin raw deal as well.

Of course being a SAHM should be supported.

You've made exactly my point - why should you be forced to be 'relying on your husband' - how belittling is that!

SAHMs are getting screwed in this budget just as badly. As if they've all made a 'lifestyle choice' to sip lattes at the cafe. What a crock.

What about parents of kids with special needs who have to stay home? Their contribution saves our economy massively yet the budget package is going to penalise them massively and worst of all, penalise the kids.

There's no choice for women in this budget. There's no forward feminist thinking. It's all 1950's stuff.

I'd better stop ranting now I'm going to put myself into labour.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Molros  (10-05-2015),Preshy2008  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I disagree that it's double dipping. The money is coming from 2 places. Why are women who happen to be fortunate enough to have a work benefit penalised? We all pay taxes.

I also think blanket income levels are silly. $150k seems like a lot of money, but for a couple who live in Melbourne, Sydney or Perth it doesn't goes go far after tax. Rents are sky high, and most who are planning a family are paying $300+ a month for private health. Add in a child, child care and living expenses. God forbid if you're trying to save for a house.

Penalising working mothers is ridiculous. Especially by this government.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (10-05-2015),heplusme  (10-05-2015),Lillac  (10-05-2015),Molros  (10-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2015),Wise Enough  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Budget

Haven't read replies but if they want to make it "fair" make it at the women's rate of pay. Hardly double dipping when ones at minimum wage
    Last edited by maternidade; 10-05-2015 at 19:39.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (10-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You get 18 weeks though? I actually support you being at home. I'm just seeing huge discrepancies in the arguments on this forum when we discuss having a baby. SAHM's don't deserve any payments or support bc it's a choice, but working mums should get 2 lots of PPL so they get full pay for 6-12 months each baby. Bc children deserve to have their mothers home for extended periods..... but only if you.
    There is no way it would be 6-12 months full pay. As mentioned earlier some companies give 4 weeks full pay and the government at minimum wage equates to roughly 9 weeks so you'd be leaving a roughly 10 week old baby in child care. You might be lucky to get 3 months pay even when double dipping so to speak. It honestly makes me re think having children. My husband and I cannot survive on just his wage but I also don't see the point in having children if I'm getting someone else to raise them Monday to Friday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can anyone tell me when this will come into effect? I will be effected as I get six weeks paid from my employer. I am petrified go how hard it will be without the extra cash

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Preshy2008 For This Useful Post:

MrsK1984  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Preshy2008 View Post
    Can anyone tell me when this will come into effect? I will be effected as I get six weeks paid from my employer. I am petrified go how hard it will be without the extra cash
    Slated for 2017 but hopefully never. Labor and Greens have both said they will not support it or the previous budget measures in the senate.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Preshy2008  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Preshy2008 View Post
    Me too hun. Apparently 2017? But should know more Tuesday?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsK1984 For This Useful Post:

Preshy2008  (10-05-2015)