+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    This is a really important point - it's how Labour and the left killed off what could have been a big step forward.

The problem with the left is that they attacked the policy because it was liberal, the sort of vitriol towards the policy I would hear even from sensible friends made me so mad and it centred around these kinds of arguments that the money would be all about women on 150k getting a new Lexus.

But there are hardly any women on that kind of salary who are still fertile. I'm on 100k and there are relatively few women even in that bracket who are still in their fertile years.

And let me just point out once again that being on 100k doesn't necessarily mean you are rolling in the cash if you are the primary breadwinner, as I and so many are.

With a teacher husband on 35k our combined income is much closer to say a couple of senior midwives, not the demon rich lady, champagne sipping, flatscreen TV buying, laughing all the way to the bank stereotype that is raised whenever this discussion comes up.

But I'm not even the real issue, don't cry for me Argentina, what about women who are single parents? Their income is all they've got. How will they breastfeed and be the breadwinner?

What about women on average wages? 18w at min wage lasts only 9 weeks at covering your regular bills and now they'll be penalised - losing that too all because a minority have a good workplace scheme that.

It would have benefited all the women on average wages by actually giving them a replacement wage.

See here's the crux of the thing that really ****es me off.

Critics of ppl talk about it like its a gift or a prize. You had a baby, well done here's some money for a flat screen TV.

It's not. It's about replacing a woman's wage because womens wages are important and should be valued - so that she can simply continue to exist whilst caring for a bub in the early months when she is needed as the primary carer.

Anything that delivers less than this creates a gap and if the gap is too big, she will scrimp and save as much as she can but ultimately it restricts time with the baby.

There's more than enough evidence to show that a proper break for mum to be with Bub early on is better for the baby, the mum and the company and the economy - it costs much more if the woman comes back too early and then can't cope and is replaced.

Companies however, can't lead the way on this because they all bargain individually, the point of a government scheme is to drive alignment and social change over time.

Except now we are going backwards.

Final point:
    I used to work in policy for the commonwealth. It wouldn't have been hard to design a policy that says: we recognise that it's recommended women take six months off with Bub. If womens employers are providing six months at full pay then those women won't get the govt scheme, and women whose employers pay less than six months, say less than even 2 months like mine - maybe get the difference.

Wouldn't have been hard at all.

Except there aren't enough women in that position for the saving to be very big - and there is the flaw in their argument. There isn't really an army of wealthy double dippers out there, in fact there isn't enough to deliver a measurable saving.

Make no mistake ladies. You're just being screwed.

I'd love to see women voters united on these issues, but by keeping us divided instead of blanket support for a good, fair scheme is how we keep getting shafted.
    I agree with all this! I was so disappointed last year when the opposition was bagging the PPL policy because all those fancy "lady lawyers" who would be getting paid for popping out a baby.

As a lawyer and a new mother I was doubly offended by this. Most young lawyers don't make a lot of money. The very small percent that do are working 15 hour days and are not thinking about childre because in big firms, when you're a junior baby = career suicide.

Are there women who earn $150,000 who might have a baby? Sure. Some as you say are the main income earners, some might be single, and yes some might have husbands/partners who earn more. But why should we begrudge those women? I would argue that they are the most likely to drop out of the workforce if there are too many barriers in place. Paying them their wage for a few months may make the difference between that woman returning to work, or that woman opting out of the workforce because it's "all too hard". Long term, that is a loss to the economy.

I'm not saying women shouldn't chose to stay home if that's what they actual prefer to do. A lot of times though, it's happening more out of circumstances than actual choice.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (18-05-2015),ScubaGal  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    It's hard to do much about housing costs. When the go backwards all the people that have borrowed to buy end up owing more than their house is worth and can end up in dire straights. Unfortunately it is supply and demand and aside from interest rates and restricting foreign investment, prices are set by the buyers. As a person who owns a house in a city I would hate to see houses get more affordable than they already are. ;-)
    They do control a big part of housing prices through interest rates, tax breaks and letting overseas investors buying anything they'd like.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks I agree with you, and I agree about politicians

QUOTE=TeaM;8186200]I'm sorry for having been patronising. It was just a bad day.

We both agree that the current PPL is inadequate and this policy is just going to make it worse. It makes me sad to think of mothers being forced back to work earlier than they may feel ready and leaving very young infants in care they may not be comfortable with. It really shouldn't be about politics - too bad the country is run by politicians.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    They do control a big part of housing prices through interest rates, tax breaks and letting overseas investors buying anything they'd like.
    The government doesn't control interest rates, the reserve bank does. They are independent no matter how much politicians like to take credit for low interest rates. I did mention foreign investment etc. But that is kinda beside the point, what I was trying to say was that huge drops in housing prices are terrible for people who own houses already...its a tricky business making housing in big cities more 'affordable' without undermining existing investments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    The government doesn't control interest rates, the reserve bank does. They are independent no matter how much politicians like to take credit for low interest rates. I did mention foreign investment etc. But that is kinda beside the point, what I was trying to say was that huge drops in housing prices are terrible for people who own houses already...its a tricky business making housing in big cities more 'affordable' without undermining existing investments.
    Which is why you shouldn't let them go out of control in the first place. So I think we agree on this.
    Any change in the market would affect people that are trying to make money out of properties - and I can't say I'd feel too sorry. But that's another topic!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (16-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That's interesting. How companies might try and reshuffle employees benefits so that their employees don't lose out on the PPL

http://gu.com/p/49v98

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's interesting. How companies might try and reshuffle employees benefits so that their employees don't lose out on the PPL

Yep we all got an email from work saying that workers wouldn't miss out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (16-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

See I find that disturbing, if they reshuffle or call it something else effectively we loose paid maternity leave rights at work, all for 18 weeks of minimum wage and no super? No thanks. 1 step forward 10 steps back. I rather miss out on the government one and still keep my EBA rights. I mean What happens when a new government ppl scheme comes in or scraped altogether then employees who use to have that as part of their EBA ( and no longer do) miss out again

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default New Budget

The chat at work was that you would work 1/3-1/2 your normal hours but still get paid your FULL hours for that period of time. So if you worked 30/week and you got 6 wks off work: you would then only have to work 10-15hrs/wk and get your full pay for 6-9wks or whatever the equivalent was.

But work said they wouldn't do anything as it was unlikely to go through.

I'm not HR tho so don't understand logistics and legality of this stuff but that was the coffee table chat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Which is why you shouldn't let them go out of control in the first place. So I think we agree on this.
    Any change in the market would affect people that are trying to make money out of properties - and I can't say I'd feel too sorry. But that's another topic!
    I agree. I hate how the home is now about profits and I really hate negative gearing. Just the most bonkers idea. I would feel sorry though for anyone put into negative equity if there was a crash. I've friends in Ireland in that situ and while they weathered the recession and can pay mortgage they can't move as owe more than house worth! Our house has gone up in so called value in 4 years but what real benefit is that? Makes me sick seeing so many locked out of market or under such stress trying service crazy mortgage. Plus I don't think I want my kids still living here at 30 cus housing is too expensive to leave! Or maybe that's the culture change we need...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-05-2015)