+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I live in wollongong (I think the only one from bubhub).
    Whilst it is cheaper-500k for a nice house in the south or rent around $350 week...(Northern suburbs is around 800k now!)
    There are NO jobs here. My DH commutes 2 HOURS each way to Sydney.
    Same with my dad and brother.
    It's slowly killing them

So whilst it's cheaper it's for a reason.

I would love to flee to Adelaide or somewhere but what price is leaving your family and friends behind?
    You poor thing. To be honest I would gladly trade closeness with my family to create a reasonable closeness/quality of life with my hubby. Then again my family is probably different from yours 4 hours commute each day - absolutely couldn't do it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Family tax benefits are not being scrapped alltogether. The large family supplement may be scrapped, and FTB cut out when the child is 6. The government is giving more support to working mums to re enter the workforce. As a SAHM, i support the new changes - but it will be easy for me to returm to work when my youngest is 6, it might be harder for others. Note that families will still receive FTB A.
    as a single mum ftb b is ALL that keeps us from drowning, wth it gone we will truly struggle just to surivive,

Im trying to get work but current climate means my chances arent very high and trying to organise care for my children not great,

if removal of FTB B happens it will drive us down alot

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Whilst it is cheaper-500k for a nice house in the south or rent around $350 week...(Northern suburbs is around 800k now!)
    It's slowly killing them

I would love to flee to Adelaide or somewhere but what price is leaving your family and friends behind?
    I've done a similar commute time before (approx 2.5 hours each way so 5 hours daily). Lasted about 12 months. Never again! Really feel for you and your DH.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ThenThereWereThree View Post
    as a single mum ftb b is ALL that keeps us from drowning, wth it gone we will truly struggle just to surivive,

Im trying to get work but current climate means my chances arent very high and trying to organise care for my children not great,

if removal of FTB B happens it will drive us down alot
    Would the new childcare subsidy help and cover for the loss of FTB B? For single parents receiving income support they will subsidy 95% of the cost of childcare, up to 50 hours per week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's slowly killing them

I agree, the government needs to look at affordability of housing within inner cities. No points driving your population to live further and further away from job rich areas. It only increases traffic on the road, pollution, pressure on work/life balance, etc.

They obviously also need to help create jobs away from cities.

Sadly they don't seem to care much about the out of control housing market as it supports construction.

And all this money invested in toll roads when what we need is public transport.

We are governed by dinosaurs.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-05-2015),Freyamum  (15-05-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Would the new childcare subsidy help and cover for the loss of FTB B? For single parents receiving income support they will subsidy 95% of the cost of childcare, up to 50 hours per week.
    if I could get a job,
    although when its 1 job to 20 people applying my chances are slim there (hense why Im studying areas that should increase my chances of work)

statistically Im one the 'no freaking way we'll employ you' list, single parent, havent worked in 5 years so my resume is pretty bad to look at and Im in my late 20s, all of which play against employing me vs employing someone else

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ThenThereWereThree View Post
    if I could get a job,
    although when its 1 job to 20 people applying my chances are slim there (hense why Im studying areas that should increase my chances of work)

statistically Im one the 'no freaking way we'll employ you' list, single parent, havent worked in 5 years so my resume is pretty bad to look at and Im in my late 20s, all of which play against employing me vs employing someone else
    I'm sorry you feel this way, don't underestimate study and volunteering to gain skills. Some employers prefer clean slates that someone who has had 10 years of tainting.
    Sell what you have done not what you haven't done.
    If you're studying then fill some of the gap with that.
    Ps They don't need to know you're a solo parent.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I'm sorry you feel this way, don't underestimate study and volunteering to gain skills. Some employers prefer clean slates that someone who has had 10 years of tainting.
    Sell what you have done not what you haven't done.
    If you're studying then fill some of the gap with that.
    Ps They don't need to know you're a solo parent.
    Agreed.
    They don't even need to know that you are a parent.
    My DH would employ anyone fresh out of studying regardless of their age. As long as they got the skills and the can-do attitude.

Don't forget that if you have no experience that would be reflected in your wages and some employers would much prefer cheaper employees that they can further train.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I agree, the government needs to look at affordability of housing within inner cities. No points driving your population to live further and further away from job rich areas. It only increases traffic on the road, pollution, pressure on work/life balance, etc.

They obviously also need to help create jobs away from cities.

Sadly they don't seem to care much about the out of control housing market as it supports construction.

And all this money invested in toll roads when what we need is public transport.

We are governed by dinosaurs.
    It's hard to do much about housing costs. When the go backwards all the people that have borrowed to buy end up owing more than their house is worth and can end up in dire straights. Unfortunately it is supply and demand and aside from interest rates and restricting foreign investment, prices are set by the buyers. As a person who owns a house in a city I would hate to see houses get more affordable than they already are. ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Sorry, you are right. I am getting confused because I read somewhere about 3 years ago when they were still in opposition that under their proposed scheme at the time - Clive Palmer's wife would have been eligible for PPL. Which in my mind equated to millionaire - even though she technically isn't but her husband is. If you know what I mean.

No need to be so patronising though, we are just having a conversation. Just because we don't politically align doesn't mean we can't be civil.

I would like to add I absolutely support a PPL scheme, I think we are so behind in terms of things like that. And you are right, so many other countries manage it, we should be too. I just don't agree that the LNP package is more palatable than Labor's.
    I'm sorry for having been patronising. It was just a bad day.

We both agree that the current PPL is inadequate and this policy is just going to make it worse. It makes me sad to think of mothers being forced back to work earlier than they may feel ready and leaving very young infants in care they may not be comfortable with. It really shouldn't be about politics - too bad the country is run by politicians.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-05-2015)