+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    I'm in a 3br in Sydney and my mortgage is 700k+ and believe it or not that's considered a bargain.

I'm with you on the bunk beds and reusing / minimising expenditure but for me to get to a budget situation approaching yours id have to move somewhere like Adelaide which is lovely, but there are risks in that too - my DH likely wouldn't get the same work and would need to totally retrain, and I'd have to hope for a job there.

Either way I still think the original argument stands: PPL is about encouraging mothers to spend closer to the recommended time with bubs; the scheme was designed to have employers top up the govt amount and now that's been wound back.

And I'm not a fan of policy that moves backwards. especially not when the rest of the budget is equally lame - rollbacks in the arts, climate change, foreign aid, the list goes on.

Meanwhile we've got $100m for a new overseas war memorial that most average Aussies are never going to afford to visit because it's in France(!!), more money for metadata retention so the govt can monitor how often I'm on Bubhub, and $60m for school chaplains because kids need forced religion instead of mental health counselling like a fish needs a bicycle.
    I agree.

We are fortunate to earn good money. Our mortgage is huge, though. Our house has increased 60% since buying 6 years ago. I don't often worry about money, but earning a decent wage like my husband means we don't have to scrimp. We have good amount of savings for a rainy day and if it gets used up, we are fortunate that it doesn't take long to build it up again. As an example, in the last month, we have had so many bills that had to be paid, including

$750 tax bill
    $551 business bill
    2 x car rego and insurance ($1700)
    $3400 BAS
    $1000 medical bill for my husband
    $320 medical bill for my daughter

And also we have had electricity, mobiles, Internet, childcare, mortgage.

plus my husband missed 8 days of work which he doesn't get paid for as he's self employed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in a 3br in Sydney and my mortgage is 700k+ and believe it or not that's considered a bargain.

I'm with you on the bunk beds and reusing / minimising expenditure but for me to get to a budget situation approaching yours id have to move somewhere like Adelaide which is lovely, but there are risks in that too - my DH likely wouldn't get the same work and would need to totally retrain, and I'd have to hope for a job there.

Either way I still think the original argument stands: PPL is about encouraging mothers to spend closer to the recommended time with bubs; the scheme was designed to have employers top up the govt amount and now that's been wound back.

And I'm not a fan of policy that moves backwards. especially not when the rest of the budget is equally lame - rollbacks in the arts, climate change, foreign aid, the list goes on.

Meanwhile we've got $100m for a new overseas war memorial that most average Aussies are never going to afford to visit because it's in France(!!), more money for metadata retention so the govt can monitor how often I'm on Bubhub, and $60m for school chaplains because kids need forced religion instead of mental health counselling like a fish needs a bicycle.
    We are in a very similar situation and I am 100% with you on this. I am OK with paying tax, hell, I'd probably pay more if I felt as though it were going to things which were more in line with my views. For example, foreign aid, renewable energy, secure PPL, etc.

But to cut corporate tax, and then benefits which help your average family - no way. The next election will be my first voting as a new Australia - and I cannot wait. I also told DH if he voted lib again he was out the door.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    We live in a mid-range southern suburb of adelaide - not expensive, but not boganville either. We have a mortgage of 320k. We live in a perfectly sized 3brm house - i love it, we fit really well, &could live here for years before we have to upgrade. When we had our 3rd, we had people say "oh, now youll have to move", because the concept of kids sharing bedrooms is going out the window. The bedrooms are huge though. We dont have any other debt - i have a 3k 15 year old car that i bought outright, i refuse to get a car loan. I get a lot of clothes given to me from relatives with older kids, and toys too. We really dont buy much stuff at all, we dont keep up with the joneses and are content and happy with what we have. I thibk its about being content in any financial situation. I honestly cant say the last time i worried about money - i am a very conservative spender,& if we need anything, i look to 2nd hand first, depending on what it is. I really feel for those for whom money is a huge burden, & i have so much trouble relating to threads like this one, because i just find it so hard to get why people worry so much about money. I see two options for every financial hurdle - you can choose to either earn more, or spend less. I know not everyone can live this way, and it is a very simplistic way of looking at things, but i am so free of money worries - i am blessed with more than i need.
    Were in a 3 bedroom townhouse in Brisbane, our mortgage is higher than that we had a good deposit too.
    were by the sounds of it in a similar type of suburb. Whilst I don't mind the concept of kids sharing rooms our rooms are tiny, smaller than 3x3 there is going to come a point in the next 5-7 years we simply don't have space and need to upgrade. I work in the cbd and intend to continue to do so, I don't want to be over an hour each way commute just to get something cheaper ( plus I've done the maths, the extra travel time, plus additional transport costs works out cheaper to be closer in long run).
    I'm 15km out of cbd and it's $9 a day in transport to get to work. Brisbane transport is one of the most expensive in the world.

I actually find 2nd hand for many items more expensive here. I rather buy new ( on sale) so if there's an issue I can take it back/ swap it.
    We buy $3 clothes from kmart/big w/ target for the kids ( believe it or not cheaper than our local op shops).

I'm not dismissing your situation, just saying other parts of the country it physically can't be done.
    We've joked about selling everything and moving cheaper location but reality is our life is here and that's not an option

5. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    When you say you live off $55k, do you mean $55k salary + FTBA and FTB or does the $55k include those amounts?
    We live off that or possibly a bit less including FTBA and B. We manage this through exceptionally cheap rent and not having to pay water/electricity. Also our 2 boys share a bedroom and we get a lot of hand me downs. If DF could stop paintball we might actually save some money.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Budget

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    What about a mini city like Wollongong or Newcastle?
    I live in wollongong (I think the only one from bubhub).
    Whilst it is cheaper-500k for a nice house in the south or rent around $350 week...(Northern suburbs is around 800k now!)
    There are NO jobs here. My DH commutes 2 HOURS each way to Sydney.
    Same with my dad and brother.
    It's slowly killing them

So whilst it's cheaper it's for a reason.

I would love to flee to Adelaide or somewhere but what price is leaving your family and friends behind?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-05-2015 at 08:08.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (15-05-2015)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Whilst it is cheaper-500k for a nice house in the south or rent around $350 week...(Northern suburbs is around 800k now!)
    It's slowly killing them

I would love to flee to Adelaide or somewhere but what price is leaving your family and friends behind?
    Exactly - I couldn't do it. Not while our babies are little anyway. I grew up surrounded by family and want that for my kids.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    It's slowly killing them

If you look at it as your time is money then even extra 1 hour each way ( as apposed to living close) at say $20 an hour is $40 a day or $200 a week. That's over 10k a year wasted on commuter time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    We live in a mid-range southern suburb of adelaide - not expensive, but not boganville either. We have a mortgage of 320k. We live in a perfectly sized 3brm house - i love it, we fit really well, &could live here for years before we have to upgrade. When we had our 3rd, we had people say "oh, now youll have to move", because the concept of kids sharing bedrooms is going out the window. The bedrooms are huge though. We dont have any other debt - i have a 3k 15 year old car that i bought outright, i refuse to get a car loan. I get a lot of clothes given to me from relatives with older kids, and toys too. We really dont buy much stuff at all, we dont keep up with the joneses and are content and happy with what we have. I thibk its about being content in any financial situation. I honestly cant say the last time i worried about money - i am a very conservative spender,& if we need anything, i look to 2nd hand first, depending on what it is. I really feel for those for whom money is a huge burden, & i have so much trouble relating to threads like this one, because i just find it so hard to get why people worry so much about money. I see two options for every financial hurdle - you can choose to either earn more, or spend less. I know not everyone can live this way, and it is a very simplistic way of looking at things, but i am so free of money worries - i am blessed with more than i need.
    Quick question? How do you manage things like birthdays? I just spent about $80 on presents for 3 parties coming up. Then my own kids parties tend to cost $200- 500. Well this is the last year, next will be 3/4 good friends for movie or sleepover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well, I give up. I don't understand how you've paid down $400k on a $55k salary with several kids in tow, unless you've had some kind of inheritance or extra input there.
    Not that she has to explain herself to you but I imagine the low mortgage is because they bought land and that's what they're paying off, and she mentioned they're building it themselves so it's a work in progress. I'd say anything that isn't allocated to mortgage, bills and other expenses is allocated to building materials and labour where needed.