+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 516
  1. #461
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,698
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,288
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    I'm in a 3br in Sydney and my mortgage is 700k+ and believe it or not that's considered a bargain.

    I'm with you on the bunk beds and reusing / minimising expenditure but for me to get to a budget situation approaching yours id have to move somewhere like Adelaide which is lovely, but there are risks in that too - my DH likely wouldn't get the same work and would need to totally retrain, and I'd have to hope for a job there.

    Either way I still think the original argument stands: PPL is about encouraging mothers to spend closer to the recommended time with bubs; the scheme was designed to have employers top up the govt amount and now that's been wound back.

    And I'm not a fan of policy that moves backwards. especially not when the rest of the budget is equally lame - rollbacks in the arts, climate change, foreign aid, the list goes on.

    Meanwhile we've got $100m for a new overseas war memorial that most average Aussies are never going to afford to visit because it's in France(!!), more money for metadata retention so the govt can monitor how often I'm on Bubhub, and $60m for school chaplains because kids need forced religion instead of mental health counselling like a fish needs a bicycle.
    I agree.

    We are fortunate to earn good money. Our mortgage is huge, though. Our house has increased 60% since buying 6 years ago. I don't often worry about money, but earning a decent wage like my husband means we don't have to scrimp. We have good amount of savings for a rainy day and if it gets used up, we are fortunate that it doesn't take long to build it up again. As an example, in the last month, we have had so many bills that had to be paid, including

    $750 tax bill
    $551 business bill
    2 x car rego and insurance ($1700)
    $3400 BAS
    $1000 medical bill for my husband
    $320 medical bill for my daughter

    And also we have had electricity, mobiles, Internet, childcare, mortgage.

    plus my husband missed 8 days of work which he doesn't get paid for as he's self employed.

  2. #462
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,351
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked
    728
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

  3. #463
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,351
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked
    728
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    I'm in a 3br in Sydney and my mortgage is 700k+ and believe it or not that's considered a bargain.

    I'm with you on the bunk beds and reusing / minimising expenditure but for me to get to a budget situation approaching yours id have to move somewhere like Adelaide which is lovely, but there are risks in that too - my DH likely wouldn't get the same work and would need to totally retrain, and I'd have to hope for a job there.

    Either way I still think the original argument stands: PPL is about encouraging mothers to spend closer to the recommended time with bubs; the scheme was designed to have employers top up the govt amount and now that's been wound back.

    And I'm not a fan of policy that moves backwards. especially not when the rest of the budget is equally lame - rollbacks in the arts, climate change, foreign aid, the list goes on.

    Meanwhile we've got $100m for a new overseas war memorial that most average Aussies are never going to afford to visit because it's in France(!!), more money for metadata retention so the govt can monitor how often I'm on Bubhub, and $60m for school chaplains because kids need forced religion instead of mental health counselling like a fish needs a bicycle.
    We are in a very similar situation and I am 100% with you on this. I am OK with paying tax, hell, I'd probably pay more if I felt as though it were going to things which were more in line with my views. For example, foreign aid, renewable energy, secure PPL, etc.

    But to cut corporate tax, and then benefits which help your average family - no way. The next election will be my first voting as a new Australia - and I cannot wait. I also told DH if he voted lib again he was out the door.

  4. #464
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,198
    Thanks
    312
    Thanked
    960
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    We live in a mid-range southern suburb of adelaide - not expensive, but not boganville either. We have a mortgage of 320k. We live in a perfectly sized 3brm house - i love it, we fit really well, &could live here for years before we have to upgrade. When we had our 3rd, we had people say "oh, now youll have to move", because the concept of kids sharing bedrooms is going out the window. The bedrooms are huge though. We dont have any other debt - i have a 3k 15 year old car that i bought outright, i refuse to get a car loan. I get a lot of clothes given to me from relatives with older kids, and toys too. We really dont buy much stuff at all, we dont keep up with the joneses and are content and happy with what we have. I thibk its about being content in any financial situation. I honestly cant say the last time i worried about money - i am a very conservative spender,& if we need anything, i look to 2nd hand first, depending on what it is. I really feel for those for whom money is a huge burden, & i have so much trouble relating to threads like this one, because i just find it so hard to get why people worry so much about money. I see two options for every financial hurdle - you can choose to either earn more, or spend less. I know not everyone can live this way, and it is a very simplistic way of looking at things, but i am so free of money worries - i am blessed with more than i need.
    Were in a 3 bedroom townhouse in Brisbane, our mortgage is higher than that we had a good deposit too.
    were by the sounds of it in a similar type of suburb. Whilst I don't mind the concept of kids sharing rooms our rooms are tiny, smaller than 3x3 there is going to come a point in the next 5-7 years we simply don't have space and need to upgrade. I work in the cbd and intend to continue to do so, I don't want to be over an hour each way commute just to get something cheaper ( plus I've done the maths, the extra travel time, plus additional transport costs works out cheaper to be closer in long run).
    I'm 15km out of cbd and it's $9 a day in transport to get to work. Brisbane transport is one of the most expensive in the world.

    I actually find 2nd hand for many items more expensive here. I rather buy new ( on sale) so if there's an issue I can take it back/ swap it.
    We buy $3 clothes from kmart/big w/ target for the kids ( believe it or not cheaper than our local op shops).

    I'm not dismissing your situation, just saying other parts of the country it physically can't be done.
    We've joked about selling everything and moving cheaper location but reality is our life is here and that's not an option

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (15-05-2015)

  6. #465
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,219
    Thanks
    2,842
    Thanked
    1,467
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    When you say you live off $55k, do you mean $55k salary + FTBA and FTB or does the $55k include those amounts?
    We live off that or possibly a bit less including FTBA and B. We manage this through exceptionally cheap rent and not having to pay water/electricity. Also our 2 boys share a bedroom and we get a lot of hand me downs. If DF could stop paintball we might actually save some money.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

    HappyBovinexx  (15-05-2015)

  8. #466
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,283
    Thanks
    8,215
    Thanked
    3,927
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default New Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    What about a mini city like Wollongong or Newcastle?
    I live in wollongong (I think the only one from bubhub).
    Whilst it is cheaper-500k for a nice house in the south or rent around $350 week...(Northern suburbs is around 800k now!)
    There are NO jobs here. My DH commutes 2 HOURS each way to Sydney.
    Same with my dad and brother.
    It's slowly killing them

    So whilst it's cheaper it's for a reason.

    I would love to flee to Adelaide or somewhere but what price is leaving your family and friends behind?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-05-2015 at 08:08.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

    ScubaGal  (15-05-2015)

  10. #467
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,406
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,045
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I live in wollongong (I think the only one from bubhub).
    Whilst it is cheaper-500k for a nice house in the south or rent around $350 week...(Northern suburbs is around 800k now!)
    There are NO jobs here. My DH commutes 2 HOURS each way to Sydney.
    Same with my dad and brother.
    It's slowly killing them

    So whilst it's cheaper it's for a reason.

    I would love to flee to Adelaide or somewhere but what price is leaving your family and friends behind?
    Exactly - I couldn't do it. Not while our babies are little anyway. I grew up surrounded by family and want that for my kids.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

    Little Miss Sunshine  (15-05-2015)

  12. #468
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,198
    Thanks
    312
    Thanked
    960
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I live in wollongong (I think the only one from bubhub).
    Whilst it is cheaper-500k for a nice house in the south or rent around $350 week...(Northern suburbs is around 800k now!)
    There are NO jobs here. My DH commutes 2 HOURS each way to Sydney.
    Same with my dad and brother.
    It's slowly killing them

    So whilst it's cheaper it's for a reason.

    I would love to flee to Adelaide or somewhere but what price is leaving your family and friends behind?
    If you look at it as your time is money then even extra 1 hour each way ( as apposed to living close) at say $20 an hour is $40 a day or $200 a week. That's over 10k a year wasted on commuter time

  13. #469
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    975
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    We live in a mid-range southern suburb of adelaide - not expensive, but not boganville either. We have a mortgage of 320k. We live in a perfectly sized 3brm house - i love it, we fit really well, &could live here for years before we have to upgrade. When we had our 3rd, we had people say "oh, now youll have to move", because the concept of kids sharing bedrooms is going out the window. The bedrooms are huge though. We dont have any other debt - i have a 3k 15 year old car that i bought outright, i refuse to get a car loan. I get a lot of clothes given to me from relatives with older kids, and toys too. We really dont buy much stuff at all, we dont keep up with the joneses and are content and happy with what we have. I thibk its about being content in any financial situation. I honestly cant say the last time i worried about money - i am a very conservative spender,& if we need anything, i look to 2nd hand first, depending on what it is. I really feel for those for whom money is a huge burden, & i have so much trouble relating to threads like this one, because i just find it so hard to get why people worry so much about money. I see two options for every financial hurdle - you can choose to either earn more, or spend less. I know not everyone can live this way, and it is a very simplistic way of looking at things, but i am so free of money worries - i am blessed with more than i need.
    Quick question? How do you manage things like birthdays? I just spent about $80 on presents for 3 parties coming up. Then my own kids parties tend to cost $200- 500. Well this is the last year, next will be 3/4 good friends for movie or sleepover.

  14. #470
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,370
    Thanks
    2,571
    Thanked
    3,783
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Well, I give up. I don't understand how you've paid down $400k on a $55k salary with several kids in tow, unless you've had some kind of inheritance or extra input there.
    Not that she has to explain herself to you but I imagine the low mortgage is because they bought land and that's what they're paying off, and she mentioned they're building it themselves so it's a work in progress. I'd say anything that isn't allocated to mortgage, bills and other expenses is allocated to building materials and labour where needed.


 

Similar Threads

  1. The Budget!! #2
    By beebs in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 278
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 13:12
  2. What does the budget mean for you
    By loislane2010 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 24-05-2014, 14:49
  3. The Budget?
    By Ellewood in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18-05-2014, 19:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
The Health Hub & Glowing Expectations
Glowing Expectations is conveniently located at The Health Hub in Darlinghurst. We offer pre & post natal personal training, small group pregnancy exercise classes, flexible mums & bubs sessions, massage, & naturopathy in our air-conditioned studio.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!