+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 509
  1. #421
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mortlake, VIC
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    444
    Thanked
    831
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Look, obviously this is a highly emotional topic, and im not interested in catastrophising things. But no,it is not rich getting richer and poor getting poorer. Lower income earners get a much higher rebate. Families earning under 65k get a day a week for a sahm to put the kids in care. The government wont fund a sahm to have their kids in care 3, 4 days a week - fair enough. It is not taking places from a child who has two working parents. You are getting very emotional, and i am only really interested in discussing the facts, sorry.
    I'm not emotional - it doesn't worry me as I'll be working full time - it just bugs me when people only look at the surface and what benefits them.

  2. #422
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mortlake, VIC
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    444
    Thanked
    831
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Going to leave this topic alone, I think it's a moot point as it won't get through anyway

  3. #423
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    1,773
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    I'm not emotional - it doesn't worry me as I'll be working full time - it just bugs me when people only look at the surface and what benefits them.
    And im not sure who you are aiming that at, but this whole thread is about the budget and 'whats in it for me'. Am i going to get ppl and benefits to be a sahm and highly subsidised child care. Its natural to look at it this way, i think. High income earners are saying 'i pay high tax, what will i get back'. I guess i see it differently. The government has a finite amount of resources, and needs to distribute resources the best they can to be fair to everyone. I see it as a very sensible budget, i think its

  4. #424
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    3,267
    Thanks
    1,892
    Thanked
    1,916
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

    Default New Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    And im not sure who you are aiming that at, but this whole thread is about the budget and 'whats in it for me'. Am i going to get ppl and benefits to be a sahm and highly subsidised child care. Its natural to look at it this way, i think. High income earners are saying 'i pay high tax, what will i get back'. I guess i see it differently. The government has a finite amount of resources, and needs to distribute resources the best they can to be fair to everyone. I see it as a very sensible budget, í ½ i think its
    But the changes don't just affect high income earners on magical six month full salary ppl.

    The majority affected will be average wage earners who are currently getting just a bit more time with Bub.

    And SAHMs from households earning over 65k which is nothing.

    Maybe if you're living in a really remote town where houses cost next to nothing 65k is an ok salary for a family but not in the cities...not by far.

    It's taken $11,500 in PPl plus whatever the difference is in family tax benefits, away from women, and giving them $1500 a year in return.

    How is that a windfall? It's a slap in the face.

    And there's no clever policy targeted on making childcare more available. If anything it creates higher demand for places from the women forced to go back to work earlier.

    There's no training subsidy to create more childcare workers, no business incentive or reduction in red tape targeted to opening more family day care centres...

    So instead of putting your name down when you start TTC, you should put it down a year in advance of trying... And even then no guarantees in the cities.

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

    Falkor  (15-05-2015),Lil Smurfy  (14-05-2015),Mum2b87  (14-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-05-2015),waterlily  (14-05-2015)

  6. #425
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,854
    Thanks
    5,066
    Thanked
    4,446
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    They should be having public childcare centres. They can be not for profit, offer the same rebates. That's where money is better spent!

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (14-05-2015),beebs  (14-05-2015),cheeeeesecake  (14-05-2015),TeaM  (15-05-2015)

  8. #426
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    1,773
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Theyve also brought in a plan for subsidised nannies, which is great for shift workers especially, rather than putting children in centres, they can be cared for in their oen home. I am a dahm and our household income is under 55k foe a family of 5. We are doing absolutely fine on that, but we are very sensible with money. I know its not possible for everyone to live like we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    But the changes don't just affect high income earners on magical six month full salary ppl.

    The majority affected will be average wage earners who are currently getting just a bit more time with Bub.

    And SAHMs from households earning over 65k which is nothing.

    Maybe if you're living in a really remote town where houses cost next to nothing 65k is an ok salary for a family but not in the cities...not by far.

    It's taken $11,500 in PPl plus whatever the difference is in family tax benefits, away from women, and giving them $1500 a year in return.

    How is that a windfall? It's a slap in the face.

    And there's no clever policy targeted on making childcare more available. If anything it creates higher demand for places from the women forced to go back to work earlier.

    There's no training subsidy to create more childcare workers, no business incentive or reduction in red tape targeted to opening more family day care centres...

    So instead of putting your name down when you start TTC, you should put it down a year in advance of trying... And even then no guarantees in the cities.

  9. #427
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked
    1,588
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't blame Labor or the Greens for the original Liberal PPL scheme being scrapped.

    Their original idea got blocked, if you were passionate about the policy, then you refine it and give it another shot (I.e 6 months minimum wage instead of replacement).

    The fact that they completely dumped it at the first hurdle and then went on to wind back existing PPL benefits shows that it was a vote buying exercise they never intended to honour.

    If only they had been as committed to their 6 month PPL scheme as they are university deregulation, how many goes around has that had!

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (14-05-2015),Acadaca  (15-05-2015),beebs  (14-05-2015),delirium  (14-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-05-2015)

  11. #428
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,321
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,537
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I don't blame Labor or the Greens for the original Liberal PPL scheme being scrapped.

    Their original idea got blocked, if you were passionate about the policy, then you refine it and give it another shot (I.e 6 months minimum wage instead of replacement).

    The fact that they completely dumped it at the first hurdle and then went on to wind back existing PPL benefits shows that it was a vote buying exercise they never intended to honour.

    If only they had been as committed to their 6 month PPL scheme as they are university deregulation, how many goes around has that had!
    They did not even come up with a detailed proposal! It's clear they never plan to increase and better the existing PPL.
    I never saw it coming that they would try and reduce access to it though.

    It's like what they are trying to do for backpackers. Taxing them 32 cents from the 1st dollar earned.

    Just after all the low hanging fruits instead of going after ridiculous tax breaks on superannuation or negative gearing.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (14-05-2015),NoteToSelf  (14-05-2015)

  13. #429
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So cuts to medicare, the children's dental health scheme (such ground breaking legislation when it came in), Dementia care, Veteran's health care, Aged care, mental health care, the arts, cuts to climate change and renewable energy organisations, family payments, and some people think they are for every day people? Really?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    ThenThereWereThree  (15-05-2015)

  15. #430
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,650
    Thanks
    15,094
    Thanked
    11,260
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    So cuts to medicare, the children's dental health scheme (such ground breaking legislation when it came in), Dementia care, Veteran's health care, Aged care, mental health care, the arts, cuts to climate change and renewable energy organisations, family payments, and some people think they are for every day people? Really?
    This.

    It was a not as cruel as the last budget but still let's screw over the poor, the elderly and the sick and give business.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (14-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (15-05-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. The Budget!! #2
    By beebs in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 267
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 13:12
  2. What does the budget mean for you
    By loislane2010 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 24-05-2014, 14:49
  3. The Budget?
    By Ellewood in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18-05-2014, 19:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Be In Blossom
We offer physiotherapy run pregnancy Pilates, pregnancy Aerobics, and Mummy Pilates & Baby Massage classes with a focus on optimising posture, body awareness, pelvic floor support, back care and maintaining fitness, aiming to assist women prepare and recover from their birth.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!