+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Great article ExcuseMyFrench I am SO sick of hearing the women bashing going on. I've had to step away from news articles online, as there's so many disgusting, uneducated comments (many of them sprouting the "in my day" argument).

All I can say is, many of those people will no longer be here in 20 years - so let's not think like them. I want this country to be a good place for women to have a career & family, if they so chose - for the sake of my sisters, nieces and daughter.

And yes ScubaGal, I hate hearing the reference to PPL as a "handout" rather than wage replacement. We aren't out buying new TVs and gadgets - merely assisting to pay the mortgage & put food on the table whilst we are home with our babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    So I have thought it over, and I am feeling quite positive about the budget changes to child care. The statistics are that the average family will be $30 per week better off. There was a discussion on here ages ago about the proposed PPL scheme, and I (and plenty of other hubbers) agreed that it was a short term solution, and better subsidised child care was a much better, long term solution for mothers. Now we have it, and we are still complaining! I am a SAHM, but I have chosen not to return to work in the past because child care costs were so high, it wasn't worth it. I will reconsider when my baby is 1. The originally proposed PPL scheme was never a good plan. It is so much better to make child care more affordable, so that ALL mothers have the option of returning to work. Or can choose to stay home, like myself - but we are a family of 5 happily doing fine on a 55k income, and are able to adjust our spending for me to stay home. I know for others, that isn't possible, and so I think highly subsidised child care is the way to go if we want mothers to be able to return to work.
    $30 a week better off, I doubt that when you would no longer have family tax benefits - which these changes depend on those being scrapped to go ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    @ScubaGal the only problem with your potential policy is that any decent employer would drop their own scheme. Why pay for something that the gvt will pay for you if you don't?

I'm convinced that if men were the one carrying babies we would have a generous PPL policy for a looooong time.
    Although if they were carrying babies maybe they wouldn't be the one in powers, women would! Ha
    Because they want quality workers, the exact same reasons they introduced them in the first place

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    $30 a week better off, I doubt that when you would no longer have family tax benefits - which these changes depend on those being scrapped to go ahead.
    Um FTB is not being scrapped. A single mother earning under 65k will now have 85% of her child care subsidised. Excusemyfrench posted an excellent example a few pages ago. These are good changes - the government is making child care cheaper for us, and easier therefore to return to the work force. I seriously dont get what we are meant to be complaining about?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    They are scrapping FTB B which equates to $50-100 p/f for low income whose youngest child is 6 or more. 6 year olds may be at school but still need OOSC (is that being affected??)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Budget

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1431560073.517352.jpg

Note the bottom left corner. The proposed budget does in fact rely on government agreeing to scrap family tax benefits, which will never happen.
    Last edited by Mum2b87; 14-05-2015 at 09:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    They are scrapping FTB B which equates to $50-100 p/f for low income whose youngest child is 6 or more. 6 year olds may be at school but still need OOSC (is that being affected??)
    Actually it can be more than that.

If the changes to ft and large families go through I will 4900 worse a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Actually it can be more than that.

If the changes to ft and large families go through I will 4900 worse a year.
    Exactly! It pays to read the fine print which a lot of people don't seem to be doing and just see one good thing that will help them and don't look any deeper. On the surface this would be great for me with cheaper childcare but really I lose my maternity leave and would need to save more holiday weeks and cash reserves to replace that.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2015),Lil Smurfy  (14-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Maybe I am missing something I haven't seen that message (that if women want a career they must put it above family/people don't give a crap about parents who have taken extended leave).

How do you suggest the government support women going back to work? There's only so much they can do (encourage flexible work when it is practical - I went back 4 days after ds2). To an extent a lot of the reintegration is on the job training that businesses and the employee have to sort out. And yes I think that is people who take extended leave have to be prepared for. It doesn't mean I don't think they aren't of any value. To be honest I think parents that have looked after kids and run a household have certain skills (organizational, prioritisation etc) that more than make up for any retraining costs.

Maybe I'm Missing something - I just don't see any conspiracy surrounding the issues parents taking extended leave may experience.
    "Make it harder for women to go back to work in those early years and women will drop out altogether or go back later on when their skills are so out of date the can only earn an entry level wage."
    Originally I was responding to what you had written above. Maybe I misinterpreted your meaning but this idea that women should be getting back into full time work asap is becoming more pervasive. I understand that some economists have figured out its the best thing for the economy. I work, the govt pays someone else to look after my babies. Tax, productivity. What I feel the govt should do in addition to improving cc is help parents who have taken extended leave get back into work. Flexibility is much harder to find when you are looking for a job than returning to one. There could easily be incentives for employers to employ older workers or those who've had extended leave. I'm sahm by accident as left my job to move to Aus when my baby was 18mths. I plan to retrain as I don't feel any employer will give me a go now. I'm not seen as taking career seriously as I've not worked for 8 years. We can afford for me not to work so I probably won't unless I can find something worthwhile. I'm sure there are lots like me who could contribute to this increase in productivity the govt is pushing for but we have been left out of the equation. The bigger the push towards both parents working full time sooner the harder it'll be for people like me. It's not a conspiracy it's just policy and sahp's are minorities who don't pay tax, aren't productive and too few to worry about their vote!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (14-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I didn't think this was going ahead either? Do u have a link?