+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmyboys82 View Post
    @delirium - My work only offers unpaid maternity leave so i get nothing from them, just the government one, however i believe some workplaces only offer a few weeks paid leave. In this instance i can see why these ladies would need both. 4 weeks is not enough time off with a new baby, especially if you have a csection etc.
    oh yes I agree, 4 weeks without govt PPL is no where near enough. but lots of employers provide large PPL packages. Many govt depts offer 3 months full pay or 6 months half. I'm just trying to understand the mentality behind why women think they should get 3 months full pay plus govt PPL as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The current PPL is the equivalent of 5 weeks pay for me. I don't think 5 weeks is enough to cover pre and post natal leave required.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    At the risk of getting my head bitten off I want to ask a genuine question. If new mothers are taking their workplace's PPL which encourages them to return to work, level the playing field, reward them etc etc, why do they feel entitled to a 2nd PPL for the same reason?
    I work for a company that gives you 6wks paid leave. The competition doesn't pay maternity leave. I rather work for my company than the other.

It's a perk of the job. Like salary sacrifice is avail to some or cars to others. It's part of your employment package.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    But is it there to help with being at home and encouraging return to work or to replace your full pay the whole time you aren't working? I argue it's the former not the latter. Surely the parents need to be in some way responsible for saving a bit as one parent families most certainly are?

I guess I just see huge double standards in the these threads.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-05-2015),Lillynix  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    oh yes I agree, 4 weeks without govt PPL is no where near enough. but lots of employers provide large PPL packages. Many govt depts offer 3 months full pay or 6 months half. I'm just trying to understand the mentality behind why women think they should get 3 months full pay plus govt PPL as well.

Because that's their employment perk. Like some people get cars, phone allowances etc. Employers do it to retain good staff.

This new scheme will screw teachers and nurses the most as qld govt offers staff 14wks paid leave or 28 at half pay to the health and education sector.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I work for a company that gives you 6wks paid leave. The competition doesn't pay maternity leave. I rather work for my company than the other.

It's a perk of the job. Like salary sacrifice is avail to some or cars to others. It's part of your employment package.

But why do you feel you should be entitled to 2 PPL payments? I'm not being snarky btw. I'm just trying to understand bc what I see is basically 'I deserve both'. I argue as a SAHM I deserved more than $500 when DS2 was born given my history of paying tax and my input into the community but we can't always get what we want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Because that's their employment perk. Like some people get cars, phone allowances etc. Employers do it to retain good staff.

Then they shouldn't need govt PPL.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But why do you feel you should be entitled to 2 PPL payments? I'm not being snarky btw. I'm just trying to understand bc what I see is basically 'I deserve both'. I argue as a SAHM I deserved more than $500 when DS2 was born given my history of paying tax and my input into the community but we can't always get what we want.
    I don't feel entitled to both but telling employers that they can't offer parental leave is a bit stupid.

I claim both as I'm allowed to. It means I can have 8-10 mths off vs just the 6wks or 18wks. It allows to to bf for the longest possible time which I think is the point for PPL from the govt perspective. It keeps my kids out of CC for that time.

Yes we have budgeted for our new arrival in Oct. I will probably have 12mths off. 7 with some money and 5 without.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I don't feel entitled to both but telling employers that they can't offer parental leave is a bit stupid.
    I think the way it will work is that if a woman gets the equivalent of the govt PPL money wise from their employer they won't get the govt one. They can't force businesses to not offer it but they are wanting to save money so they won't get the govt one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @delirium Truth is that every working parent should have a PPL based on his salary, not on minimum wage, and should include super.

It should be the same number of weeks for every worker.

Then some companies could choose to offer more as part of the salary package.

The current system is far from ideal but change they are proposing is not in the right direction.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (10-05-2015),MINIRoo  (10-05-2015),ScubaGal  (10-05-2015),Starfish30  (13-05-2015)