+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    We've adjusted to having less income. We need both incomes, but dropping a few shifts a week has reduced the tax I pay and it's not a massive difference to my pay, particularly as it minimises CC costs.

I don't know any Mums IRL with small kids who actually want to work FT. Many of them aren't able to negotiate PT work with their employers.
    Sorry Im unsure what the debate is about? Im just pointing out that the gvt is moving road blocks for parents to get back to work. Which I think is great if they want/need to.

As for mums who want to work FT, you just met one : me
    I know many dads in that position too.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (13-05-2015),VicPark  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No debate, just pointing out that's it's not only cost and availability of CC that is stopping women working FT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    Exactly! And I'm sorry I'm going to say it but if more people had voted liberal, that PPL would have gone through and those currently stressing would have instead been receiving 6 months at their full pay! It's actually the Labour supporters who screwed the pooch on this issue.
    Really strongly disagree with this. His own party didn't support the new PPL scheme bc they felt it was too expensive, especially given the outcry at Abbott and co's scathing budget for low and middle income earners. Infact several front and back benches spoke out about it.

He never intended it to get through. His intention was to get the vote from working women then let the lefties block it and sell it as their fault. Just in this thread several people have confirmed how much he has pulled the wool over people's eyes.

Ironically if you had voted for labor, Rudd probably would have brought out a more attractive but middle of the road PPL scheme by now.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (13-05-2015),Clementine Grace  (13-05-2015),LoveLivesHere  (13-05-2015),Maia  (13-05-2015),MsViking  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Budget

If the government want women back to work sooner (which will happen if the "double dipping" ends) they should also expect breastfeeding rates to plummet. There would of been no way I could of continued to breastfeed to 12 months (let alone 6 months) if I had returned to work.

They need to think of a catchy phrase- something like "breast may be best for your baby, but don't be selfish, going back to work is best for the economy!" Hmm doesn't quite have the same ring to it....

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (14-05-2015),Clementine Grace  (13-05-2015),Freyamum  (13-05-2015),LaDiDah  (13-05-2015),LoveLivesHere  (13-05-2015),MrsK1984  (13-05-2015),MrsSS  (13-05-2015),MsViking  (13-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-05-2015),Sabre  (22-05-2015),TeaM  (13-05-2015),VicPark  (13-05-2015),waterlily  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am the sole income earner of my husband and I as he has just started a new business. We are expecting our first in September and have had to make adjustments as a result. I'm sorry but I don't think it is the responsibility of the government to take care of my family. I am grateful that I get anything. The country is in debt and cuts have to be made. If someone is lucky to receive entitlements from their work why should they also get money from the government. We don't have to work for the money given by the government so why should we expect anymore than what they are willing to give. The LNP is not for big business, it encourages people to stand on their own and use the life skills they have been given. People complain about childcare so the government responds, but that isn't good enough. Stop complaining and just be grateful that we get anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nic1298 View Post
    I am the sole income earner of my husband and I as he has just started a new business. We are expecting our first in September and have had to make adjustments as a result. I'm sorry but I don't think it is the responsibility of the government to take care of my family. I am grateful that I get anything. The country is in debt and cuts have to be made. If someone is lucky to receive entitlements from their work why should they also get money from the government. We don't have to work for the money given by the government so why should we expect anymore than what they are willing to give. The LNP is not for big business, it encourages people to stand on their own and use the life skills they have been given. People complain about childcare so the government responds, but that isn't good enough. Stop complaining and just be grateful that we get anything!
    Some people get company cars, yearly bonus’s, petrol cards, rewards systems, meals, gym memberships as part of their renumeration package. It’s what might make a job attractive to a potential employee. Some jobs come with maternity pay and it’s a big reason some people choose that job over a higher paying job. It’s part of your job package and denying PPL to those women will result in some mums having less time with their baby before returning to work and will encourage employers to stop offering maternity leave.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (13-05-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (13-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-05-2015),smallpotatoes  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    No more budget emergency it appears!

Small businesses are huge winners of this budget. I can't believe how much is in there for them.
    I think it's great small businesses finally get something positive in the budget and every little bit helps but it's not life changing or am I missing something?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Apart from the fact some mums don't want to work full time when their kids are small?

They can try as hard as they want, I did not WANT to return full time....and WON'T return full time whilst my children are still young. It should be a choice, not forced upon us.

Eta: I work part time and I still struggle to get the chores done and spend quality time with my dd! It's bloody exhausting!
    Yep this is me , we've taken a huge income drop but you couldn't pay me enough to work full time , I wouldn't work part time either if I didn't have too!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-05-2015),MrsK1984  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nic1298 View Post
    Peak spending by Labor at the height of the GFC was 26% of GDP. The budget just handed down by Liberals has spending at 25.9% of GDP.

Where are the savings from these cuts?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Oh FFS it's not double dipping. The libs want to wind back the eligibility criteria for government PPL.

Instead of coming out and admitting this they are going their tried and tested route of labelling women who are lucky enough to be eligible for employer and government funded PPL as double dipping to create a smokescreen for a nasty policy. Kind of like labelling refugees as illegals. It creates an us and them mentality and has been a very successful marketing ploy to garner support for targeting vulnerable people in society.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (13-05-2015),Mum2b87  (14-05-2015)