+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 509
  1. #361
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    *Labor* have only ever opposed the original PPL scheme because they didn't agree with women like Clive Palmer's wife qualifying for PPl.

    Now they are opposing this current form, because they say the PPL was designed to be a top up on employer PPL, and it isn't "double dipping", and rightly so.

    This has nothing to do with unions. And if you asked any union member is Labor is "for them" they would say what I am about to say as a union member. They are not for unions, they may be slightly less against them that the LNP, but they are not for them and they haven't been for decades.


    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    I disagree- the government WOULD have passed the promised PPL if it had not been for the opposition who are really in the unions' pockets. Why do you thin they really opposed it? It's not to help the "every day person" it's to protect the bargaining power of unions. What's the point of having a union and bargaining for things like PPL at the expense of pay rises of suddenly everybody is receiving 6 months at their full salary? The more government provides minimum conditions like that across the board, the less people feel the need to join unions, the less power unions have and so on. That's why labour designed their PPL to complement employer schemes - because who tends to have employer schemes? Union workers.

    This is not so much a backflip as an egregious screw you to unions and labour's constant pandering to unions.
    Last edited by beebs; 13-05-2015 at 22:52. Reason: Changed wrong information.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    LaDiDah  (13-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-05-2015)

  3. #362
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    Exactly! And I'm sorry I'm going to say it but if more people had voted liberal, that PPL would have gone through and those currently stressing would have instead been receiving 6 months at their full pay! It's actually the Labour supporters who screwed the pooch on this issue. It's the opposition who vehemently blocked the proposal. If the liberals had had a majority in both houses it wouldn't have been blocked, the government would have passed it and it would be coming into effect now. Personally, I was quite surprised that so many labour supporters were against the original proposal. I thought it would be more popular than it was.

    It's not looking so bad now though...
    Not true. Even tony Abbott said he listened to the people in regards to ppl and majority of voters wanted more affordable childcare. So that's what they're trying to do.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (13-05-2015)

  5. #363
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,030
    Thanks
    5,464
    Thanked
    4,403
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm yet to thoroughly look at the budget, so apologies if I've missed something, but why are people saying that the Libs are forcing mums back to work? To me it sounds as though they're just trying to offer more incentive for women to work, not forcing them to.

  6. #364
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,848
    Thanks
    2,917
    Thanked
    1,629
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I'm yet to thoroughly look at the budget, so apologies if I've missed something, but why are people saying that the Libs are forcing mums back to work? To me it sounds as though they're just trying to offer more incentive for women to work, not forcing them to.
    Because they are now saying you can only get paid maternity leave from one source. So if your work pays parental leave, you can't claim the government one. Or can only claim a portion of your work doesn't pay you $11500

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (13-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-05-2015)

  8. #365
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,030
    Thanks
    5,464
    Thanked
    4,403
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    Because they are now saying you can only get paid maternity leave from one source. So if your work pays parental leave, you can't claim the government one. Or can only claim a portion of your work doesn't pay you $11500
    Oh whoops, I should have been more clear. I meant in regards to sahms, as I've seen people say that they're forcing sahms to work.

  9. #366
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,216
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked
    477
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    They are winding back FTB B and A and making childcare more affordable.

    Not forcing SAHMs back to work, but they are making being a SAHM a less attractive option and easing the childcare burden making a return to work more attractive. It could sway mums who have been pushed over the threshold and the loss of FTB means they can no longer afford to stay home.
    But they also forecast unemployment to rise. Where are SAHM's supposed to find work?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (13-05-2015)

  11. #367
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    142
    Reviews
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Where are you getting your information from? *Labor* have only ever opposed the original PPL scheme because they didn't agree with women earning up to a million dollars qualifying for 75% of their wages, which is rightly so, that is really bad economic policy.

    Now they are opposing this current form, because they say the PPL was designed to be a top up on employer PPL, and it isn't "double dipping", and rightly so.

    This has nothing to do with unions. And if you asked any union member is Labor is "for them" they would say what I am about to say as a union member. They are not for unions, they may be slightly less against them that the LNP, but they are not for them and they haven't been for decades.
    I will admit that I could be wrong but it is common knowledge that Labour is often criticised for being in line with Unions. Maybe that's not true, just like maybe it's not true that the liberals are for big money.

    The liberals were not saying they would pay someone who was on a million dollars 75% of their salary. The cut off was $150,000, meaning $75,000 maximum. Last time I checked, 75% of one million is $750,000. Now I'm not a math genius but I think you should probably check where you are getting your information.

    Besides, how many women of reproductive age are making one million dollars? In fact, very very few are even earning $150,000.

    As many people have said, the employer provided PPL has often been gained by giving up pay rises. Now, if you have given up years of pay rises for a decent PPL package, how does it look if suddenly everybody is going to get 6 months at their full salary? Suddenly that deal doesn't look so good, especially since those pay rises would have now meant more money during the leave period...

    But you're right, it's really about all those millionaires who would be milking the system.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

    Apple iPhart6  (13-05-2015),Chiefsgirl  (13-05-2015),MINIRoo  (13-05-2015),neza  (14-05-2015)

  13. #368
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked
    1,588
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default New Budget

    [QUOTE=ExcuseMyFrench;8184042
    If cheap and quality CC is available nothing will then stop parents to get back to work FT.[/QUOTE]

    Aside from the fact they don't want to?
    Since working part time I've discovered this amazing thing called work/life balance. Not only am I enjoying spending time with my kids (I work 6 shifts a fortnight, I'm a shift worker) now, while they are little, I also plan to be involved with their school when they are at school, and then when they are older, I plan to pursue other things I'm interested in. I hope to never work FT again.

  14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

    Acadaca  (13-05-2015),AdornedWithCats  (13-05-2015),beebs  (13-05-2015),Clementine Grace  (13-05-2015),DT75  (13-05-2015),MrsK1984  (13-05-2015),TeaM  (13-05-2015)

  15. #369
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,321
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Aside from the fact they don't want to?
    Since working part time I've discovered this amazing thing called work/life balance. Not only am I enjoying spending time with my kids (I work 6 shifts a fortnight, I'm a shift worker) now, while they are little, I also plan to be involved with their school when they are at school, and then when they are older, I plan to pursue other things I'm interested in. I hope to never work FT again.
    It's completely fine if you don't want to get back to work if you can afford it.
    I personally don't work for glory or to pass the time. I need the money

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

    Apple iPhart6  (13-05-2015),Molros  (13-05-2015)

  17. #370
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked
    1,588
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've adjusted to having less income. We need both incomes, but dropping a few shifts a week has reduced the tax I pay and it's not a massive difference to my pay, particularly as it minimises CC costs.

    I don't know any Mums IRL with small kids who actually want to work FT. Many of them aren't able to negotiate PT work with their employers.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (13-05-2015),btmacxxx  (13-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-05-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. The Budget!! #2
    By beebs in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 267
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 13:12
  2. What does the budget mean for you
    By loislane2010 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 24-05-2014, 14:49
  3. The Budget?
    By Ellewood in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18-05-2014, 19:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim runs learn to swim classes for babies, children and adults. Our indoor centre in Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays. We also offer outdoor programs during the summer months (Oct-Mar) at Rostrevor college.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!