+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    What the government is trying to encourage is for parents to take shorter breaks, 6 months to a year. If they offer a good enough PPL then parents don't have to adjust their spending by much once one parents stop working and that pushes them back into the workplace when PPL runs out.
    If cheap and quality CC is available nothing will then stop parents to get back to work FT.
    Exactly! And I'm sorry I'm going to say it but if more people had voted liberal, that PPL would have gone through and those currently stressing would have instead been receiving 6 months at their full pay! It's actually the Labour supporters who screwed the pooch on this issue. It's the opposition who vehemently blocked the proposal. If the liberals had had a majority in both houses it wouldn't have been blocked, the government would have passed it and it would be coming into effect now. Personally, I was quite surprised that so many labour supporters were against the original proposal. I thought it would be more popular than it was.

It's not looking so bad now though...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (13-05-2015),MINIRoo  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default New Budget

If cheap and quality CC is available nothing will then stop parents to get back to work FT.
    Apart from the fact some mums don't want to work full time when their kids are small?

They can try as hard as they want, I did not WANT to return full time....and WON'T return full time whilst my children are still young. It should be a choice, not forced upon us.

Eta: I work part time and I still struggle to get the chores done and spend quality time with my dd! It's bloody exhausting!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 13-05-2015 at 09:54.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (13-05-2015),AdornedWithCats  (13-05-2015),btmacxxx  (13-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (13-05-2015),FrothyFrog  (13-05-2015),LaDiDah  (13-05-2015),LoveLivesHere  (13-05-2015),MrsSS  (13-05-2015),PinkPopsicle  (13-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Amazing!

No more budget emergency it appears!

Small businesses are huge winners of this budget. I can't believe how much is in there for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Apart from the fact some mums don't want to work full time when their kids are small?

They can try as hard as they want, I did not WANT to return full time....and WON'T return full time whilst my children are still young. It should be a choice, not forced upon us.
    I agree. We would sell assets before both Dh and I went FT before the kids go to high school

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-05-2015),btmacxxx  (13-05-2015),Elijahs Mum  (13-05-2015),Freyamum  (13-05-2015),LoveLivesHere  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You mean like Joe Hockey claiming money to pay off his wife's mortgage?

"JOE Hockey has defended his practice of claiming a $270-a-night taxpayer-funded travelling allowance to stay in a Canberra house majority-owned by his wife on the grounds that it is an entirely legitimate practice embraced by scores of Labor MPs.

The Treasurer has legitimately claimed $108,000 in travel allowance for 368 nights over the past four years including many nights for parliamentary sitting weeks where he has stayed at the Canberra house."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227026624945

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It was nothing more than vote grabbing. How hypocritical that now the Libs are trying to stop people from double dipping...wonder what staunch lib voters think of this... especially those who have double dipped themselves
    Last edited by beebs; 13-05-2015 at 10:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm the same, my philosophies don't align with LNP, but even I could see that they were just scrounging for votes? The one thing about the LNP is they will always put big money ahead of every day people. They always have, and they always will. This is not a new thing, so I'm surprised that so many people are surprised that they are backflipping on all the things they promised the every day person.

Such a pity that they always seem to target those who need the help most. Women, the education system, the health system, those with disabilities etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I would never vote for the Libs based on my own personal philosophies, but I honestly cant believe people honestly thought that policy was anything other than an obvious attempt to score votes.

It's good to see people realising what a pathetic joke this government is. The opposition is far from perfect, but the Libs are freaking deluded.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think thats the date its proposed to start but I has to get through the Senate first and it’s probably likely to be blocked or sit there for a bit so it might not actually get through, or could be later. All depends! I can’t believe they announced it on mothers day, with choice words about “double dipping” and it basically being fraud if you get both. Empowering stuff!
    Ok so we can still hold out hope that this ppl thing does not happen!! So I need to get pregnant soon so I can still double dip.lol More pressure!
    When can we vote for a new gov again? Cant wait..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

MummaCat  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What the government is trying to encourage is for parents to take shorter breaks, 6 months to a year. If they offer a good enough PPL then parents don't have to adjust their spending by much once one parents stop working and that pushes them back into the workplace when PPL runs out.
    I get that. What bugs me is that this is seen as the ONLY way of getting more women into the workforce. It's such a narrow minded view and is basically sending the message that we SHOULD all be getting back into full time work and that somehow child care is better than being cared for at home by a parent. They are making it harder to be at home in the formative years by offering nothing to help and making it appear socially unacceptable. They may be taking away choice for all but the very wealthy

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-05-2015),btmacxxx  (13-05-2015),delirium  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm all for encouraging women back into the workforce, but I don't think they should be penalised for raising their children.

I'm ready to re-enter the work force on a part time basis now. I only have one child who is not at school, whereas before I had three and my part time wage wouldn't cover childcare. My DH works shift work which means I couldn't just get a weekend or night part time job so I would have had to put all three in day care.

The problem right now is that my DS4 not only has a severe speech delay (but is neruo typical - so qualifies for no help and no funding) has severe asthma and the doctors are finding it difficult to control, so far in the last three weeks he has been hospitalised and has been really unwell for around 10 days in that period. Who in there right mind would keep a casual on who has to take 10 days off to look after an unwell child in two weeks? And this isn't just a two week thing. He has asthma flare ups that last around 5-7 days around every 6 weeks to 2 months. This last few weeks has been particularly bad because it is the start of the cold weather and wood fires. And it will only get worse as it gets colder.

So there are situations where women want to work, but they can't because they are dealing with children who have chronic illness, Developmental delays, Autism and all the rest.

I just feel that yet again they make these sweeping changes without taking into consideration that not everyone has the traditional 2.4, two parent, healthy families.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (13-05-2015),AdornedWithCats  (13-05-2015),btmacxxx  (13-05-2015),Freyamum  (13-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Budget

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I'm the same, my philosophies don't align with LNP, but even I could see that they were just scrounging for votes? The one thing about the LNP is they will always put big money ahead of every day people. They always have, and they always will. This is not a new thing, so I'm surprised that so many people are surprised that they are backflipping on all the things they promised the every day person.

Such a pity that they always seem to target those who need the help most. Women, the education system, the health system, those with disabilities etc.
    I disagree- the government WOULD have passed the promised PPL if it had not been for the opposition who are really in the unions' pockets. Why do you thin they really opposed it? It's not to help the "every day person" it's to protect the bargaining power of unions. What's the point of having a union and bargaining for things like PPL at the expense of pay rises of suddenly everybody is receiving 6 months at their full salary? The more government provides minimum conditions like that across the board, the less people feel the need to join unions, the less power unions have and so on. That's why labour designed their PPL to complement employer schemes - because who tends to have employer schemes? Union workers.

This is not so much a backflip as an egregious screw you to unions and labour's constant pandering to unions.

ETA: I still don't agree with the policy but I do think we need to remember the real reason we don't all have 6 months at our full salary...
    Last edited by TeaM; 13-05-2015 at 10:28.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (13-05-2015),MINIRoo  (13-05-2015)