+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I thought this exemple in the budget papers was a good one :

"Natasha is not currently working and receives an income support payment, but is studying in order to better her chances of future employment. Her two year old daughter attends a local long day care centre which currently costs $78.50 per day. By 2017‑18 the cost is $90 per day.Natasha’s annual income of less than $65,710 in 2017‑18 means she will be eligible for assistance under the Child Care Subsidy, and further ‘top‑up’ under the Additional Child Care Subsidy.
    As this assistance is activity tested, Natasha would be able to access 50 hours of child care per week as she is studying for 49 or more hours per fortnight (compared to the maximum of 36 hours per week allowed for approved study activities under the current system). Natasha would be subsidised for up to 95 per cent of child care costs, leaving her only five per cent ($22.50 per week) out of pocket."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm aware of the under 65k bracket, but wondering where the 85% come from, I haven't read that so was wondering where cheesecake read it.
    I read it too, in the news.com.au article. Sorry I'm on my phone and can't seem to link. There is a requirement of minimum study or work but it's quite low.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    I read it too, in the news.com.au article. Sorry I'm on my phone and can't seem to link. There is a requirement of minimum study or work but it's quite low.
    There is some sort of subsidies for families with income lower than $65,000 that do not meet the activity test. They will beeligible to receive up to 24 hours subsidised care perfortnight under the Child Care Safety Net.

However budget papers do not specify how much subsidy they will receive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 13-05-2015 at 00:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...-it/?tid=sm_fb

Oh well at least we still have it better than poor mums in the US...?...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    So this year's budget spending is at 26% of gdp, which is how much it was under labor during gfc. And apparently labor had a spending problem

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (13-05-2015),beebs  (13-05-2015),NoteToSelf  (13-05-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (13-05-2015),RobinSparkles  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You've missed the point. If someone takes time out from any occupation (paid or not) they lose a certain level of skills and there is an adjustment period when they return to the workforce - it doesn't necessarily mean they need to start at an entry level position or need to be thrown on the scrap heap. It may mean that they require re-training when they rejoin that occupation. It's not writing people off or saying they aren't worthy - it's just stating a fact.

I've just gone back to work after having nearly a year off with ds2 - so many things happened in my absence, people swapped jobs, teams added new functions, policy changed, I forgot how to use some of the tools and only 5 monthsish later am I starting to feel somewhat comfortable (doing the same job as I did before going on mat leave). I am not naive to the fact I needed additional training - I took the bull by the horns and organised it myself.

On the home front when I went on mat leave to look after ds2 I forgot some of the things I learned with ds1. Made the same mistakes (bubs spewing a lot... Might need to burp more often! Doh!) and had to re-read the awesome parenting bible that is SOS.

Hope that clarifies things.
    And my issue is that while the govt is trying to help women back into work with affordable cc they are missing a valuable resource in skilled educated parents who are being given the message by them, media and other women that if they want a career they must put it first above family. I'd just like to see some balance and some support for people returning to work after a break. I'm not suggesting taking years off we can just slot back in but we can still be productive and useful. It shouldn't be an either/or choice. We'll all be working til we're 70, even 10 years out still leaves heaps of time. I think the govt should be supporting people back to work after long absences as well as those who return quickly to their old jobs. There definitely is an attitude that taking time out we have made our own bed and noone really gives a crap about us. Fine but even from a practical, economical point of view welcoming us back could tap into a huge underused resource.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    So this year's budget spending is at 26% of gdp, which is how much it was under labor during gfc. And apparently labor had a spending problem
    No more budget emergency it appears!

Small businesses are huge winners of this budget. I can't believe how much is in there for them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    And my issue is that while the govt is trying to help women back into work with affordable cc they are missing a valuable resource in skilled educated parents who are being given the message by them, media and other women that if they want a career they must put it first above family. I'd just like to see some balance and some support for people returning to work after a break. I'm not suggesting taking years off we can just slot back in but we can still be productive and useful. It shouldn't be an either/or choice. We'll all be working til we're 70, even 10 years out still leaves heaps of time. I think the govt should be supporting people back to work after long absences as well as those who return quickly to their old jobs. There definitely is an attitude that taking time out we have made our own bed and noone really gives a crap about us. Fine but even from a practical, economical point of view welcoming us back could tap into a huge underused resource.
    What the government is trying to encourage is for parents to take shorter breaks, 6 months to a year. If they offer a good enough PPL then parents don't have to adjust their spending by much once one parents stop working and that pushes them back into the workplace when PPL runs out.
    If cheap and quality CC is available nothing will then stop parents to get back to work FT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Small businesses are doing great and working parents too - if they aren't expecting another one.
    I get screwed. I not only lose ccr but i will now only get around a 30% rebate on all of the childcare fees for 3 kids. If this goes though, my partner will have to quit work so we can make ends meat.

Also 100 hrs a fortnight childcare is only 4 days a week