+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a sole trader. I can only get the government pay out... I think it's fair if we are all on that level.
    But I do respect your ideas as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Bingo!

And that's the whole point of ppl and CCR. It's recognizing that by giving working mums a helping hand to stay home for a bit when their bubs are born .... And then work when their bubs are young and daycare is costly... Those women will be more likely to stay in the workforce long term without suffering big massive dints to their income levels.

Its a bit of a helping hand now, won't last forever and in the long run it will result in increased tax revenue, productivity and less costly social issues due to gender inequality issues. Short term tax payer pain for long term everyone gain.

Make it harder for women to go back to work in those early years and women will drop out altogether or go back later on when their skills are so out of date the can only earn an entry level wage. The economy loses skills and productivity and women lose income (which can generate a whole heap of follow on issues).
    Sorry but to me that last bit is part of the problem for many women who WANT to take time out to be at home with their kids as they are so disadvantaged when they want to go back to work. Its the same with discrimination against older people. Loss of productivity because of these narrow views that older people and mums who are out of the workforce for years are now only good for the scrap heap or unskilled labour. It really gets me soooooo mad!!! I totally support parental leave the better and longer and quality affordable childcare, but I so wish people could address this other issue ingrained in our psyche that we are useless if we waste our time raising children or growing old! I want to work when my kids are at school I see no valid reason that I should be only able for an entry level job!!! Sure I might need some help getting skills up to date but to write me off for daring to take time out of the workforce is making me MAD AS HELL!!!!!!!!!! But ironically more determined to prove you and the other naysayers wrong. 😛

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

AngelicOne  (12-05-2015),azelqra  (12-05-2015),beebs  (13-05-2015),btmacxxx  (12-05-2015),cheeeeesecake  (12-05-2015),delirium  (12-05-2015),HappyBovinexx  (12-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (12-05-2015),Tinkers  (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Sorry but to me that last bit is part of the problem for many women who WANT to take time out to be at home with their kids as they are so disadvantaged when they want to go back to work. Its the same with discrimination against older people. Loss of productivity because of these narrow views that older people and mums who are out of the workforce for years are now only good for the scrap heap or unskilled labour. It really gets me soooooo mad!!! I totally support parental leave the better and longer and quality affordable childcare, but I so wish people could address this other issue ingrained in our psyche that we are useless if we waste our time raising children or growing old! I want to work when my kids are at school I see no valid reason that I should be only able for an entry level job!!! Sure I might need some help getting skills up to date but to write me off for daring to take time out of the workforce is making me MAD AS HELL!!!!!!!!!! But ironically more determined to prove you and the other naysayers wrong.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 12-05-2015 at 12:52.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's not, because it doesn't factor in assets, disposable income, people living within their means etc.

But it's good to see just for a raw comparison

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm interested in how people are working out how much benefit (or not) they get from the taxes they pay. It's pretty hard to work out your financial benefit of the roads you drive on, the national parks you use, the protection of the environment (eg Great Barrier Reef, wet tropics), law enforcement, availability of healthcare, etc etc. taxes go to a lot more than a financial handout into someone's bank account.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-05-2015),beebs  (13-05-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (12-05-2015),cheeeeesecake  (12-05-2015),Clementine Grace  (12-05-2015),CMF  (12-05-2015),just her chameleon  (12-05-2015),Lillynix  (12-05-2015),LoveLivesHere  (12-05-2015),Molros  (12-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by haley86 View Post
    I'm a sole trader. I can only get the government pay out... I think it's fair if we are all on that level.
    But I do respect your ideas as well.
    So because you can't access something we all should suffer, yeah that's a fair level.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-05-2015),kim85  (12-05-2015),Lil Smurfy  (12-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    I'm interested in how people are working out how much benefit (or not) they get from the taxes they pay. It's pretty hard to work out your financial benefit of the roads you drive on, the national parks you use, the protection of the environment (eg Great Barrier Reef, wet tropics), law enforcement, availability of healthcare, etc etc. taxes go to a lot more than a financial handout into someone's bank account.
    I think we do pretty well. Nothing is perfect but for example talk to someone in the UK about their health system.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

TeaM  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they were genuine about fairness (and not cost cutting) they'd be increasing weeks of the PPL for those without any employer leave and leaving the existing one in place for those who have employer leave.

It really hasn't been thought through. I know I had PND/Anxiety for months after DS1. Was no way fit to return to work 4 months post baby. By 8 months the fog cleared & I returned at 11 months. I was able to do this because I had employer Mat leave, LSL & annual leave, as well as the 18 weeks PPL. I was also able to keep breastfeeding for 10 months - something I doubt I'd have done if I had to return to work earlier.

My employer leave is good because I am on agreement/fixed salary that offers no overtime, no penalty rates if I have to work out of hours (which often happens) and very little pay rises. It's terms and conditions of my employment. I've also been a taxpayer for the past 18 years, so don't feel any guilt about accepting help for a mere 18 weeks.

Thank God bub 2 is due before this proposed change is due to come in. The whole thing has made me very, very angry - the acute backflip on behalf of Tony and Mother's Day timing of the announcement reduced me to tears.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Falkor For This Useful Post:

ilex  (12-05-2015),MrsK1984  (12-05-2015),ScubaGal  (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
    If they were genuine about fairness (and not cost cutting) they'd be increasing weeks of the PPL for those without any employer leave and leaving the existing one in place for those who have employer leave.

It really hasn't been thought through. I know I had PND/Anxiety for months after DS1. Was no way fit to return to work 4 months post baby. By 8 months the fog cleared & I returned at 11 months. I was able to do this because I had employer Mat leave, LSL & annual leave, as well as the 18 weeks PPL. I was also able to keep breastfeeding for 10 months - something I doubt I'd have done if I had to return to work earlier.

My employer leave is good because I am on agreement/fixed salary that offers no overtime, no penalty rates if I have to work out of hours (which often happens) and very little pay rises. It's terms and conditions of my employment. I've also been a taxpayer for the past 18 years, so don't feel any guilt about accepting help for a mere 18 weeks.

Thank God bub 2 is due before this proposed change is due to come in. The whole thing has made me very, very angry - the acute backflip on behalf of Tony and Mother's Day timing of the announcement reduced me to tears.
    I agree with everything you've said, fingers crossed you'll be ok for bub number 2.

I can see why people don't want others to get two lots of PPL but a lot of people stay with their current employer purely for those conditions, where they could earn more money in another sector. For me, i'll be a loss i'll have to suck up, especially as i'm likely to have another costly high risk pregnancy. Last time i had to give up work at 16 weeks to go on bed rest, so the PPL on top of my work mat leave was a big help. I think taking it away is really going to disadvantage a lot of women and they'll have to return to work earlier.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 12-05-2015 at 11:16.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

MrsK1984  (12-05-2015)