+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThenThereWereThree View Post
    I dont understand how this works :/
    I have electricity, food, a decent and safe house.
    we have access to the internet, my children have good birthdays, we arent dying in the streets.

I *thought* Id be somewhere there, I certainly didnt think Id be that low down?

How does someone who has internet, food, electricity, a car, a house, pets, healthcare etc rank that low?
    It's based purely on income in vs number of dependants. Your expenses don't come it to it. It's merely comparing your income and number of children to others of the same.

So for example, where your income, 2 adults and 2 children sits compared to other 2 adult 2 children families. At least, I think that's how it works!
    Last edited by Lillynix; 11-05-2015 at 22:25.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Here we go, this gives the basic formula for working it out: budgetscale.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default New Budget

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    no sorry, @delirium was correct. Its a tiered system. It gets my goat when someone says 'i earn 200k, so pay 50%tax because im in the highest bracket'.not true. Every single australian pays no tax on the tax free thresh hold amount (about 8k?), then the tax slowly goes up for every portion you earn in each bracket. More complicated, but extremely fair.
    You misunderstood my post.
    I know the tax system very well thank you.

I was telling delirium that the other countries have a tiered system too.

Tax free threshold is $18,200. And yes no one pays an effective tax rate of 45%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But should it really be about what you get back?

i don't see it like that but see a lot of people making comments like that.

I have worked since I was 14 and 9 months. I've paid a ship load of tax. But I never think about what is in it for me. Yep, my ftb at the end of the financial year is a huge bonus, but I never think to myself that I've been paying taxes that I deserve something. I've had 3 babies in public hospitals, been to public school, etc. that everybody's taxes have paid for.
    No it should not. I'm getting back probably 10% of what we pay in taxes and I'm happy about this situation as it means I'm well off.

I was just pointing out that australia is not that cheap tax country some pp try and make out to be.

I pay more taxes here for a lot less benefits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    No it should not. I'm getting back probably 10% of what we pay in taxes and I'm happy about this situation as it means I'm well off.

I was just pointing out that australia is not that cheap tax country some pp try and make out to be.

I pay more taxes here for a lot less benefits.
    So if we as a country pay more tax for less benefits,where is our spending going? What is that huge tax pool being spent on, if not something that benefits us? Foreign aid? Do we have a proportionately higher number of non tax paying dole bludgers? We have to be spending our money somewhere. What are other countries doing right that we are doing wrong, if we truly do pay more tax for less benefit?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default New Budget

double post
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 11-05-2015 at 23:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So if we as a country pay more tax for less benefits,where is our spending going? What is that huge tax pool being spent on, if not something that benefits us? Foreign aid? Do we have a proportionately higher number of non tax paying dole bludgers? We have to be spending our money somewhere. What are other countries doing right that we are doing wrong, if we truly do pay more tax for less benefit?
    That's a great question!
    One thing those countries don't have is negative gearing.

Also those countries have a much larger pool of tax payers, and smaller land to manage.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-05-2015),haley86  (12-05-2015),HappyBovinexx  (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    That's a great question!
    One thing those countries don't have is negative gearing.

Also those countries have a much larger pool of tax payers, and smaller land to manage.
    Why do we have a smaller tax pool? To me that suggests dole bludgers,SAHM's, elderly people,& people with disabilities. And students. I often hear that we protect high income earners too much&dont give enough to the lower earners, but what you are saying is the opposite. Not that i disagree with you - i think our higher earners do (and should) pay higher tax, and I do think we should take care of people with disabilities, students, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Why do we have a smaller tax pool? To me that suggests dole bludgers,SAHM's, elderly people,& people with disabilities. And students. I often hear that we protect high income earners too much&dont give enough to the lower earners, but what you are saying is the opposite. Not that i disagree with you - i think our higher earners do (and should) pay higher tax, and I do think we should take care of people with disabilities, students, etc.
    smaller tax pools as we are a small country population wise.

Yes Australia is quite generous in terms of tax breaks for wealthy people. They are some legal tools for higher bracket income earners to reduce their tax bill.
    I think this should go, starting with negative gearing and superannuation tax benefits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ExcuseMyFrench - Have you considered that Australia has a relatively low rate of GST, compared with many countries, which is excluded from home sales, food and health care costs? We also have no state tax.

Was any of that included in that infographic? Sure, we pay more federal tax percentage wise, but all of those things should be considered when discussing taxation rates.

I'm only playing devils advocate. I was of the impression we paid heaps more than other places, purely based on income tax, but after speaking with a few people yesterday realised I hadn't considered those other factors.

Honestly, if the government wants more money, they need to increase the corporate tax rates and go after those corporations who aren't paying their fair share.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-05-2015)