+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    It's an interesting point about saving up.

I've certainly saved - I haven't had any rec leave in several years, that's been great for my mental health while we went through IVF and miscarriage.

I've paid money into the mortgage and saved and we will now spend all that to avoid defaulting sending us back a few years financially. Oh well.

What I haven't done is saved for long enough.

If I was to give advice to younger women today I'd let them know that they are going to have a huge financial penalty across their working lives because they are female and I'd advise them to start stashing away 5-10% of their annual income to pay for the time they need for their uterine , childrearing and breastfeeding functions should they decide to/be able to reproduce. While they're at it, may as well put some aside in case of IVF.

I'd tell them to start a serious superannuation top up every payday to counter the loss of super that will occur if they want to spend anytime raising their own kids.

I'd suggest they not worry too much about smashing glass ceilings because on an average career trajectory that puts you in senior management right when you might want to take a year off and it's not hard to be pushed out of the workforce when trying to return.

I'd suggest they choose their industry very wisely because some have much better conditions for women than others. Certainly don't go into any bleeding heart not-for-profits.

And I'd tell them that the only other way to avoid these 'woman problems' would be to find a nice wealthy partner who could make up the gap for them, and be sure never to leave them for any reason.
    I think i would advise my girls that when they become married/ partnered, always live off of one income. Then if they do want to have time off with a baby, its not a big financial adjustment. DH and I saved 100% of my income for the 4 yrs we were married before kids came along.... used it for a house deposit, but made sure we were still 100% comfortable on one income. When i had kids and became a SAHM, it was no adjustment in our spending. Now we are a family if 5 on the highest income we have ever been on in our home... 55k combined, lol, and i am seriously finding it very difficult to understand and relate to the financial issues plaguing other families. I looked at returning to work in between baby #2 & 3 & couldnt afford the child care, so am still at home & had my kids close in age (3 under 4yrs)so i can returm to work sooner. I know this wouldnt work in many many situations, & it relies on having a good partner who will work as a supportive team with you. Im sorry to everyone facing massive financial stress over the new proposals.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-05-2015),TeaM  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I like to live modestly :
    Very interesting! Mine was 10%. I played around & it showed that 130k is the 50th% for a family of 5.... seems very high!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Wow! I took the test. I need to count my blessings more. SHOCKED at where we are.

I worked out too that if we had another child (no chance in hell BTW) we would drop 8%. Interesting!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1431347120.846193.jpg

How's that for some serious accuracy.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Wow! I took the test. I need to count my blessings more. SHOCKED at where we are.

I worked out too that if we had another child (no chance in hell BTW) we would drop 8%. Interesting!
    I've seen a few people doing it now, and people are tending to swing between being shocked that they are on the lower scale, thinking they were more better off than they were, and those doing worse than they thought.

I think it's a good little scale for getting some perspective. But yes, children affect it pretty massively, but then, with all that food they eat and all the shoes they seem to go through, I'm not surprised

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    I came in at 7%. No surprise there.
    We used to be like that not long ago. We are a lot better off than we were just a few years ago.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's interesting that....2 adults 2 kids, and you get 120k as being about 50%, 150k as being 99%

This year we'll have the highest combined income we've ever had, and sit (according to that) at 9%. DP estimated us at being 30%, I estimated 15%. Still see us as being incredibly fortunate and by no means struggling :P

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Very interesting! Mine was 10%. I played around & it showed that 130k is the 50th% for a family of 5.... seems very high!
    Wow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    It's interesting that....2 adults 2 kids, and you get 120k as being about 50%, 150k as being 99%
    That doesn't correlate with what mine calculated, we are over $150 combined and came our below 99%

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont understand how this works :/
    I have electricity, food, a decent and safe house.
    we have access to the internet, my children have good birthdays, we arent dying in the streets.

I *thought* Id be somewhere there, I certainly didnt think Id be that low down?

How does someone who has internet, food, electricity, a car, a house, pets, healthcare etc rank that low?
    Attached Images