+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    This is a myth. I should know, I come from France and I pay more income taxes here than what I would back home.

Attachment 70019
    That is the top rate at which australia pays the highest tax bracket. It also kicks in after $180k, much much higher than the top 2 countries on the list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    That is the top rate at which australia pays the highest tax bracket. It also kicks in after $180k, much much higher than the top 2 countries on the list.
    Same for the other countries. Also the other countries rates include their super when australia doesn't. You also need to include Medicare and PHI levy.

Finally cost of living is very different. So while 80k salary doesn't seem rich in Australia and might seem low for the highest rate to kick in, it is a very high salary in Europe.

If you take all this into account, yes australia is a high taxing country.
    Again, I have had a median salary here and a median salary in France. I paid more tax here and got less back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The little budget scale thing here is interesting: http://www.smh.com.au/business/feder...11-ggwyfw.html

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    From an economical POV yes it is a waste of resources to have your highly qualified female population SAH.
    Bingo!

And that's the whole point of ppl and CCR. It's recognizing that by giving working mums a helping hand to stay home for a bit when their bubs are born .... And then work when their bubs are young and daycare is costly... Those women will be more likely to stay in the workforce long term without suffering big massive dints to their income levels.

Its a bit of a helping hand now, won't last forever and in the long run it will result in increased tax revenue, productivity and less costly social issues due to gender inequality issues. Short term tax payer pain for long term everyone gain.

Make it harder for women to go back to work in those early years and women will drop out altogether or go back later on when their skills are so out of date the can only earn an entry level wage. The economy loses skills and productivity and women lose income (which can generate a whole heap of follow on issues).

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (11-05-2015),HappyBovinexx  (11-05-2015),MINIRoo  (13-05-2015),Sabre  (22-05-2015),ScubaGal  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Same for the other countries. Also the other countries rates include their super when australia doesn't. You also need to include Medicare and PHI levy.

Finally cost of living is very different. So while 80k salary doesn't seem rich in Australia and might seem low for the highest rate to kick in, it is a very high salary in Europe.

If you take all this into account, yes australia is a high taxing country.
    Again, I have had a median salary here and a median salary in France. I paid more tax here and got less back.
    But should it really be about what you get back?

i don't see it like that but see a lot of people making comments like that.

I have worked since I was 14 and 9 months. I've paid a ship load of tax. But I never think about what is in it for me. Yep, my ftb at the end of the financial year is a huge bonus, but I never think to myself that I've been paying taxes that I deserve something. I've had 3 babies in public hospitals, been to public school, etc. that everybody's taxes have paid for.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But should it really be about what you get back?

i don't see it like that but see a lot of people making comments like that.

I have worked since I was 14 and 9 months. I've paid a ship load of tax. But I never think about what is in it for me. Yep, my ftb at the end of the financial year is a huge bonus, but I never think to myself that I've been paying taxes that I deserve something. I've had 3 babies in public hospitals, been to public school, etc. that everybody's taxes have paid for.
    I don't think of it necessarily in terms of I pay abc amount of tax so I expect XYZ in return. I think of it along the lines of I studied hard at school instead of stuffing around, went to university for X years, worked hard to get establish a good career ... So yes I expect to be financially better off overall than others who didn't do the same.

Reward people for effort - they won't work if there is no benefit. Goes for low, middle and higher income earners.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (11-05-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    The little budget scale thing here is interesting: http://www.smh.com.au/business/feder...11-ggwyfw.html
    I like to live modestly :
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    sorry that's incorrect, it's the same system than here.
    Also what you have to keep in mind is that most OECD countries includes key taxes in their rates that Australia exclude.
    Namely super and health insurance. When you adjust for this and compare to other OECD countries, Australia is in the highest taxed country.
    no sorry, @delirium was correct. Its a tiered system. It gets my goat when someone says 'i earn 200k, so pay 50%tax because im in the highest bracket'.not true. Every single australian pays no tax on the tax free thresh hold amount (about 8k?), then the tax slowly goes up for every portion you earn in each bracket. More complicated, but extremely fair.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    no sorry, @delirium was correct. Its a tiered system. It gets my goat when someone says 'i earn 200k, so pay 50%tax because im in the highest bracket'.not true. Every single australian pays no tax on the tax free thresh hold amount (about 8k?), then the tax slowly goes up for every portion you earn in each bracket. More complicated, but extremely fair.
    Actually, the tax free threshold is now around $18k

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-05-2015),cheeeeesecake  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh my goodness, I estimated that I was smack bang in the middle, but apparently we are 31%!

Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I like to live modestly :

17. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post: