+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    Paid Maternity Leave
    I do not agree with the new budget measures. I think having a minimum guaranteed amount for everyone is good, and encouraging employers to provide additional payments is also a good thing. This measure will simply encourage employers to dump their own PPL programs - and wont save the government any money. Its a major step back for no real budgetry gain.

Child Care Reform
    I am all for child care reform. The current system, with 4 or 5 different payments isnt working. Its complicated and costly to administer and doesnt provide enough benefit to those who need it.

http://www.watoday.com.au/business/f...10-ggybnn.html

according to this, the new government policy will be as follows

So basically families on low incomes will get more than they currently get - and uncapped. Family on middle incomes ($65-$185k) will get slightly more rebate, and also uncapped. .

Families earning over $185k will get less % rebate than they currently do, but the cap will increase from $7,500 to $10,000 - so many will probably end up getting more than they currently get.

The high family income earners who use day care part time or sparodically will end up with less benefit. Those using full time will end up better off (as for example if their rebate amount goes down to 25% ... but over the course of the year they will easily still get up to the cap, which is now higher)

The work test
    They are making changes to ensure that you must study or work to get any rebate. Families on less than $65k will get 24hrs per fortnight (so basically 1 day per week). All other families must work or study at least 8 hrs per fortnight to qualify for the rebate.

8-16 hrs will get 36 hrs of subsidy
    48 hrs (per f/n) will get 72 hrs of subsidy
    49+ hrs will get the full 100 hrs of subsidy

This is a bit more stringent than I would like. I think the low income thresh hold should be $100k (to qualify for 1 day per week). Other than that, I think its a reasonable compromise.

Provided that there is some discretion for individual cases (carers/disability/special needs etc)

Perhaps a system where medical certificates could be used to excuse the work test?????
    Just on the work test. I think they have failed to take into account that some people work part-time hours spread over multiple days BUT we still have to pay for 12 hours per day childcare. So for example: if you work the 48 hours per fortnight but work those hours spread over 4 or 5 days per week (like a school hours job) you will only be entitled to 72 hours care or the equivalent of 3 days per week, leaving you paying full fees for two days per week.

Obviously some will be able to get Family Day Care but this is very limited.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (11-05-2015),KitiK  (11-05-2015),smallpotatoes  (12-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Yes Australia is one of the highest taxed countries.
    Really? That's ridiculous. The highest individual rate is 45% - that's the HIGHEST, for an individual earning over $180k. Now, that's only paid on income OVER $180k, the lower rates still apply to earnings under that (making actual tax rate significantly lower).

As of a couple of years ago, only the top 3% of earners earnt over $180k. Their effective tax rate was just under 40%, and that's not taking into account the various ways in which you can minimize tax.

In general, Australians pay a very low percentage of tax. I would LOVE to have higher tax rates and better benefits, but that wouldn't be politically popular. No political party is willing to mention the issue of actually having to, you know, raise revenue in order to be able to pay for things. Nope...we just have to cut spending in other areas.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-05-2015),cheeeeesecake  (11-05-2015),delirium  (11-05-2015),smallpotatoes  (12-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Beljane View Post
    Just on the work test. I think they have failed to take into account that some people work part-time hours spread over multiple days BUT we still have to pay for 12 hours per day childcare. So for example: if you work the 48 hours per fortnight but work those hours spread over 4 or 5 days per week (like a school hours job) you will only be entitled to 72 hours care or the equivalent of 3 days per week, leaving you paying full fees for two days per week.

Obviously some will be able to get Family Day Care but this is very limited.
    that's a very fair point.
    Give a call to your local MP if you are in this situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Renn have you seen the infography I posted higher in this thread?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a bit muddled if someone can please help me.....if DF and I both work FT (40hrs per week Monday to Friday) and DD goes to daycare 4 days a week (at a cost of either $440 or $480 a wk), if we earn between 65k and 185k we get 50% back, is that right? Or 170k i saw somewhere? Is that based on your taxable income, so after your tax return has been filed or gross income before any tax deductions have been done?
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Yep. But it will be hard to pass before July 2016 and next year is an election year (most likely - the deadline for the election is Jan 2017 and it'll get called before then).
    We can only hope they don't get it through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Paid Maternity Leave
    I do not agree with the new budget measures. I think having a minimum guaranteed amount for everyone is good, and encouraging employers to provide additional payments is also a good thing. This measure will simply encourage employers to dump their own PPL programs - and wont save the government any money. Its a major step back for no real budgetry gain.

Child Care Reform
    I am all for child care reform. The current system, with 4 or 5 different payments isnt working. Its complicated and costly to administer and doesnt provide enough benefit to those who need it.

http://www.watoday.com.au/business/f...10-ggybnn.html

according to this, the new government policy will be as follows

So basically families on low incomes will get more than they currently get - and uncapped. Family on middle incomes ($65-$185k) will get slightly more rebate, and also uncapped. .

Families earning over $185k will get less % rebate than they currently do, but the cap will increase from $7,500 to $10,000 - so many will probably end up getting more than they currently get.

The high family income earners who use day care part time or sparodically will end up with less benefit. Those using full time will end up better off (as for example if their rebate amount goes down to 25% ... but over the course of the year they will easily still get up to the cap, which is now higher)

The work test
    They are making changes to ensure that you must study or work to get any rebate. Families on less than $65k will get 24hrs per fortnight (so basically 1 day per week). All other families must work or study at least 8 hrs per fortnight to qualify for the rebate.

8-16 hrs will get 36 hrs of subsidy
    48 hrs (per f/n) will get 72 hrs of subsidy
    49+ hrs will get the full 100 hrs of subsidy

This is a bit more stringent than I would like. I think the low income thresh hold should be $100k (to qualify for 1 day per week). Other than that, I think its a reasonable compromise.

Provided that there is some discretion for individual cases (carers/disability/special needs etc)

Perhaps a system where medical certificates could be used to excuse the work test?????
    Sorry to include all your post but I still can't find any mention of study in the new regulations.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Budget

Paid Maternity Leave
    Sorry Katie's mum, didn't quote properly

I agree. Employers won't pay ppl if they can get the govt to do it for them.
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 11-05-2015 at 13:06. Reason: fix quote

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Budget

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    @BH-KatiesMum

This little mention here "85 per cent back per child of the actual fee or benchmark price (whichever is lower)" raises alarm bells to me.

It actually means that working families from inner cities will get between 50% and 85% of that benchmark price.
    The productivity commission estimated that price to be $79 per day. So parents would get between $39 and $67 back per day.

Most inner cities childcare charge between $100-$120 per day if not more.

Effectively inner cities parents would therefore get between 33 and 56% back...!
    Pretty sure the mean price is $110 or at least that's what Scott Morrison has said. That should cover MOST centres.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ChelleBH For This Useful Post:

Molros  (11-05-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Sorry to include all your post but I still can't find any mention of study in the new regulations.
    yeah I am not sure. I would hope that study is included.

I also wonder about those looking for work ... its hard to get a job if you cannot attend an interview