+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here, so don't shoot me 😂

But this thread is still suggesting that the onus is on the woman to stay home and raise babies. Men can raise babies too.

So if you as the woman earns the higher income, you still have a choice to keep working afyer thr initial post-partum period. Sure, it may not be your ideal for say, breastfeeding reasons, but it's still a valid choice for you these days to keep working.

I KNOW how important breastfeeding is to some, I was a fullterm breastfeeder. BUT if i was the main earner in my family, then my DH would have been a SAHD.

So yeah, just saying, women don't have to bear this sole responsibility of child rearing these days.
    Thank you for saying this!!! Same goes for us! If I earned my DHs wage and he earns mine I would have gone back ASAP

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Lillynix
    Yes agree - part of the issue is that child raising is still seen as 'woman's business'. Most men would be lucky to get a week or two paternity leave, which is very unfair.

Luckily for us, DH's employer has this year implemented a new policy that gives men 12 weeks full pay paternity leave (they have to take it in bubs 1st year & be the primary carer). Reflecting that many men would like to take more of an active parenting role in thier children's infancy. So when my mat leave ends, he'll take his.

We earn almost the same amount, so for us we wouldn't be worse off either way. I have greater earning potential so if it worked out better for one parent to stay at home, then I'd work & DH would stay at home.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (11-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    66k are year is not a lot surely? It doesn't take into account the amount of children either. Sure 66K for one person is perfectly fine, but what if someone has 3, 4, 5 kids? It wouldn't go anywhere. It is just going to make it harder for those who are already on low incomes. Gah!

Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I'm sorry but that's pathetic, I thought they were trying to encourage families to participate in the workforce.
    Whilst 66k a year might sound like a lot to some in reality tax takes a large %. It should be on combined only

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    This is a myth. I should know, I come from France and I pay more income taxes here than what I would back home.

Attachment 70019
    Yes Australia is one of the highest taxed countries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Dragon View Post
    @Lillynix
    Yes agree - part of the issue is that child raising is still seen as 'woman's business'. Most men would be lucky to get a week or two paternity leave, which is very unfair.

Luckily for us, DH's employer has this year implemented a new policy that gives men 12 weeks full pay paternity leave (they have to take it in bubs 1st year & be the primary carer). Reflecting that many men would like to take more of an active parenting role in thier children's infancy. So when my mat leave ends, he'll take his.

We earn almost the same amount, so for us we wouldn't be worse off either way. I have greater earning potential so if it worked out better for one parent to stay at home, then I'd work & DH would stay at home.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Wow, that's very innovative of your husband's employer. My hubby would love that. I would too, as it would mean I could return to work a bit earlier, but without the added cost of childcare to contend with too. It's great for Dads to be able to have a more active role in their children's lives.

Alas, like many, in my case hubby is the higher earner, so I'm the primary carer & therefore the one to stay home in that first year post baby.

We are looking into OH going 0.8 FTE for 2 years, so he has a day home once we have 2 young kids & I return to work. Will reduce days at childcare & mean I'm not always the one missing out on opportunities work wise. I have the potential to earn a similar amount to him if working full time, but until our children are school age (potentially later primary school, being realistic) it's not going to happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Falkor if there is a paid maternity leave where your husband works Id encourage him to take it to HR to see if he would be eligible to take it provided he is the primary carer.

Two of my closest friends husbands have done it and have been successful in their claim.

At my company they renamed the paid maternity leave to paid parental leave so both male and female employees can take it.
    If they couldn't take it I would see it as a gender discrimination.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Paid Maternity Leave
    I do not agree with the new budget measures. I think having a minimum guaranteed amount for everyone is good, and encouraging employers to provide additional payments is also a good thing. This measure will simply encourage employers to dump their own PPL programs - and wont save the government any money. Its a major step back for no real budgetry gain.

Child Care Reform
    I am all for child care reform. The current system, with 4 or 5 different payments isnt working. Its complicated and costly to administer and doesnt provide enough benefit to those who need it.

http://www.watoday.com.au/business/f...10-ggybnn.html

according to this, the new government policy will be as follows

Families earning up to $65,000 will get 85 per cent back per child of the actual fee or benchmark price (whichever is lower).

Families on about $170,000 and above will get 50 per cent back.

Families earning under $185,000 will not have a cap on their subsidy amount.

Those earning more than $185,000 will have a cap of $10,000.
    So basically families on low incomes will get more than they currently get - and uncapped. Family on middle incomes ($65-$185k) will get slightly more rebate, and also uncapped. .

Families earning over $185k will get less % rebate than they currently do, but the cap will increase from $7,500 to $10,000 - so many will probably end up getting more than they currently get.

The high family income earners who use day care part time or sparodically will end up with less benefit. Those using full time will end up better off (as for example if their rebate amount goes down to 25% ... but over the course of the year they will easily still get up to the cap, which is now higher)

The work test
    They are making changes to ensure that you must study or work to get any rebate. Families on less than $65k will get 24hrs per fortnight (so basically 1 day per week). All other families must work or study at least 8 hrs per fortnight to qualify for the rebate.

8-16 hrs will get 36 hrs of subsidy
    48 hrs (per f/n) will get 72 hrs of subsidy
    49+ hrs will get the full 100 hrs of subsidy

This is a bit more stringent than I would like. I think the low income thresh hold should be $100k (to qualify for 1 day per week). Other than that, I think its a reasonable compromise.

Provided that there is some discretion for individual cases (carers/disability/special needs etc)

Perhaps a system where medical certificates could be used to excuse the work test?????

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, same here, I had physical issues from my first birth, my spine and hips were clicked out of place (among other things) and I couldn't walk properly for 4 months.

I actually had physical issues "down there" that caused significant pain for the first few MONTHS, even if i had to return after 6 weeks I wouldn't have been able to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My mother became a single parent when my dad died, I was 7 and my brother was 5, luckily we were both at school (just) and you are right, our family home was $25,000 for a 4 bedroom inner city house. Yes wages were less, but it was still possible to pay it off on one wage, which is absolutely not the case now unless you are a high income family. Even mid income families struggle with city mortgages.

I get told of the glory days when a 4 bedroom house in my suburb was only 200k max ( now at least 650k), rent was $200 a week ( now $500-$600) and childcare was only $20 -$50 a day.
    This was less than 15 years ago and incomes haven't increased in the same%. So if one parent had to take time out then they could afford to live on one wage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I thought there was a work/study component in place already? I get childcare rebate because I am studying, but would not qualify if I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    Paid Maternity Leave
    I do not agree with the new budget measures. I think having a minimum guaranteed amount for everyone is good, and encouraging employers to provide additional payments is also a good thing. This measure will simply encourage employers to dump their own PPL programs - and wont save the government any money. Its a major step back for no real budgetry gain.

Child Care Reform
    I am all for child care reform. The current system, with 4 or 5 different payments isnt working. Its complicated and costly to administer and doesnt provide enough benefit to those who need it.

http://www.watoday.com.au/business/f...10-ggybnn.html

according to this, the new government policy will be as follows

So basically families on low incomes will get more than they currently get - and uncapped. Family on middle incomes ($65-$185k) will get slightly more rebate, and also uncapped. .

Families earning over $185k will get less % rebate than they currently do, but the cap will increase from $7,500 to $10,000 - so many will probably end up getting more than they currently get.

The high family income earners who use day care part time or sparodically will end up with less benefit. Those using full time will end up better off (as for example if their rebate amount goes down to 25% ... but over the course of the year they will easily still get up to the cap, which is now higher)

The work test
    They are making changes to ensure that you must study or work to get any rebate. Families on less than $65k will get 24hrs per fortnight (so basically 1 day per week). All other families must work or study at least 8 hrs per fortnight to qualify for the rebate.

8-16 hrs will get 36 hrs of subsidy
    48 hrs (per f/n) will get 72 hrs of subsidy
    49+ hrs will get the full 100 hrs of subsidy

This is a bit more stringent than I would like. I think the low income thresh hold should be $100k (to qualify for 1 day per week). Other than that, I think its a reasonable compromise.

Provided that there is some discretion for individual cases (carers/disability/special needs etc)

Perhaps a system where medical certificates could be used to excuse the work test?????