+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Of the more than 30 countries in the OECD offering a paid parental leave scheme, Australia is one of only two nations that fail to pay parental leave based on a replacement wage.

So many self entitled stupid countries out there!
    A lot of those countries have way higher tax rates though too. The money has to come from somewhere. Sweden and Holland have handsome PPL. They also have tax rates of around 60%. Here in Oz no one wants to pay tax but wants lots of assistance.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-05-2015),cheeeeesecake  (11-05-2015),CMF  (11-05-2015),munchkin275  (11-05-2015),Renn  (11-05-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    It's single income over 66k won't get ccr to encourage work with other partner. Double income gets ccr till 170k

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Does that include single parents? Because if that's the case I am absolutely screwed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I think many of your points in your last post were very valid, but I guess you're expecting 'it all' to be all of these things:

The higher income warner in your house
    Breastfeed for 6 months
    Stay home for a year
    Get employer paid maternity leave
    get government paid parental leave
    Return to work and get a 50% childcare rebate

Is this too much to expect? I'm not sure. I'm really not. Part of me says no - part of me says yes.

The part of me that says no is that as women we should be able to bear children and not be penalised for it in any way.

The part of me that says yes is that having children does take sacrifices. From the day they are born they become number 1 and effect out lives in so many ways, sometimes we just need to take a hit somewhere.

It's like looking to buy a house for a certain budget, people want to pay as little as possible and get all the rooms they want, have fully done, in an area they want. Chances are this doesn't happen! Something has to give somewhere and I see having children to be the same. Something has to give somewhere and I'm not sure it's the governments responsibility to assist everyone have that perfect fairytail family without any sacrifices.

Some people say it shows inequality to females, but we can't help that we are the ones who have to bear and feed (if we are lucky enough to be able to breastfeed) our children and us missing out on income effects the entire family, not just ourselves, we all make sacrifices on less if a wage.

As I say, I'm really not sure where I sit.

But what I do know is in my situation, I got 26 full weeks pay from work at full time wage (2nd child and I had been back at work only 3 days) plus the 18 weeks pay. I was lucky enough to have it all (though going back to work at 10 months not 12 - again this
    is my choice to not be without income - I could stay home longer and forgo more income). But I purposefully sought employment where I am for the very reason that I would get those maternity leave benefits.

Im a fence sitter
    I get what you're saying and I expect to make sacrifices. Gladly. It was bloody hard enough just getting to this point in a pregnancy.

I just feel duped - I've always been so proud of having worked so hard to drag myself of benefits and up the ladder and it turns out I get penalised for it over and over.

But I'm not expecting anyone to feel sorry for me, I don't need the bleeding hearts.

It's the women, like my sisters on a more average wage who if they are lucky might get a nice little four weeks from their company that they can couple with the govt PPL (as originally intended by the policy designers) to give them a chance to spend some time with her new baby before she goes back to working her guts out because she hasn't got a choice. Nowhere near the goal of six months, maybe three if they're really lucky.

I've survived on the pension, so I'll find a way to make it work.

But I think it's a really crappy mean budget measure to send PPL backwards and force women to choose between a workplace entitlement they bargained something away for and the measly top up in minimum wages that at least makes a little bit of difference.

As I said in a previous post the govt ppl only replaces the average Aust income for about 9 weeks.

Fundamentally are we ok with that?

Babies in childcare from 9 weeks?

I haven't had my baby yet (not for want of stressing out and ranting in this thread) but I'm pretty sure 9 weeks is quite little.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Lillac  (13-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleBH View Post
    I see a lot of people saying working mums will suffer if their work entitlement is less than govt PPL - I understood the new proposal to mean that you could CHOOSE one or the other ie. if your work pays you 4 weeks and that equates to less than govt PPL you'd choose govt PPL..?
    That's right, you'll have to 'choose' to only take four weeks.

Is Joe Hockey going to mind the four week old babies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default New Budget

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    A lot of those countries have way higher tax rates though too. The money has to come from somewhere. Sweden and Holland have handsome PPL. They also have tax rates of around 60%. Here in Oz no one wants to pay tax but wants lots of assistance.
    This is a myth. I should know, I come from France and I pay more income taxes here than what I would back home.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1431297718.813852.jpg

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

hopeful1986  (11-05-2015),ilex  (11-05-2015),MINIRoo  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Budget

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    $700 a week after rebate? How many kids do you have in childcare?
    I'm inner city Melbourne and will be out of pocket $430 for 2 kids per week FT childcare. So $215 on my salary.

I agree that $30 a week is nothing and would not do it. I would work part time though, just to keep my skills up to date and get some super contribution (and not go mental at home).
    I averaged it out over the year.. Id have 2 in daycare at $99 per child = $990 per week = $51,480 pa - $20k rebate = $31,480. My take home pay is $37,000 - CC $31,480 = $5,520 pa / 52 weeks = $106 per week. Under the current system we bring home an average of $30 as the rebate cap is $15,000 for 2 kids.

The reality is though, that we'd receive 50% back up to $20k so we'd pay $495 for 20 weeks, and full fees for the remaining 32 weeks. It's a complicated system.

I totally understand though that as a family our income is high, that is due, in full, to my DF earning a high wage which he has worked very hard for. I don't really expect to get assistance when as a family on paper we do not require it. Instead I'm going to take the opportunity to study for the next few years until my daughters are in school & increase my earning potential but not everyone has that luxury.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New Budget

I guess it depends on who the government wants to encourage to have more children.

We know socioeconomic disadvantage creates or can create challenges in lots of areas. We know (for example) that socioeconomic status is the biggest indicator for educational success)

Why not encourage professional women to have more kids? When you are a working parent each child costs dearly, lost earning while you are on leave, and much higher child care expenses with each child. Your wage doesn't go up with each child.
    I'd love a third child, but the disposable income I've got available now doesn't allow me to save up enough to replace a wage while I go on leave. I can budget to pay for our increased living costs as a family of 5, but not to pay for months of no income. PPL allows our household to keep ticking over while I'm home with a baby.

Welfare dependent households get more income with each child. It makes no sense to discourage employed families not to have children.
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 11-05-2015 at 08:51.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Falkor  (11-05-2015),heplusme  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here, so don't shoot me 😂

But this thread is still suggesting that the onus is on the woman to stay home and raise babies. Men can raise babies too.

So if you as the woman earns the higher income, you still have a choice to keep working afyer thr initial post-partum period. Sure, it may not be your ideal for say, breastfeeding reasons, but it's still a valid choice for you these days to keep working.

I KNOW how important breastfeeding is to some, I was a fullterm breastfeeder. BUT if i was the main earner in my family, then my DH would have been a SAHD.

So yeah, just saying, women don't have to bear this sole responsibility of child rearing these days.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (11-05-2015),Renn  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default New Budget

@Lillynix I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Outside of maternity leave, because we have to give birth etc, we need to rely on fathers a lot more and push for them to take half the chid raising leave.

I am a big believer in getting the exact same paid parental leave for all parents. 3 months each.

Then employers wouldn't see child rearing aged women as such a burden in them organization since men would take the same leave for new babies.
    My work offers 14wks full pay to new fathers if they are the primary carer. I think only one took it.
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 11-05-2015 at 09:13.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (11-05-2015),MINIRoo  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    If we didn't have paid parental leave, I imagine either our population growth would slow (we're already running out of people to look after our ageing population) and / or many more people would be living in poverty.

I shouldn't be financially penalised for being born with a vagina instead of a penis. PPL attempts to even things up between men and women. It still has a way to go but until men can give birth and breastfeed, I feel like I am entitled to PPL.
    But these changes penalise the entire family! Unless your income is 100% yours and your kids and not your partner's?