+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    [QU OTE=TeaM;8182101]I see what they are trying to do with this, but I agree that people should be able to access both if their employer paid leave is not sufficient.

However, there are some circumstances where it's clearly unfair to be paid both. I have several friends who work at a university that pays 6 months at full salary, but only on the basis that the employer returns to work for the term immediately following the 6 months leave or something to that effect. So basically, my friend is currently entitled to 18 weeks PPL from the government in addition to her full wage. Well that's good for her, but at the same time I think that's a huge waste of tax payer money. Why should somebody who is on leave at full pay receive extra money from Centerlink? That's like paying unemployment to people when they are gainfully employed!

I think that you should only be able to access the government PPL for any period where you are on unpaid maternity leave. That doesn't mean someone shouldn't, in the end, receive both, so long as they don't overlap. So, for example, those who receive 5 weeks from their employer could take 5 weeks + 18 weeks paid by the government following the 5 weeks. I think that's a fair balance.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this! If you take it for periods you are on unpaid leave, then you are actually using PPL for what it is for (staying home with your child) instead of 'topping up' your employer paid leave. It seems a much better balance .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ChelleBH For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default New Budget

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    That would be fairly unfair and open a huge loophole.

My husband earns 200k a year, I'll get a low pay part time job so that we pay close to nothing in childcare fees.

While my neighbors both working FT and on 100k salary pay the highest fees for childcare.

How would that be fair?
    I'd prefer that, it would mean you're still in the workforce, keeping current, maintaining some financial independence.

I find it unfair that mothers are better off staying home than working because their partners earn enough for childcare to cost more than the mothers income.

Which in turn means they are losing their industry currency, losing out on accumulating super, progressing in their careers.

Last year I would've been paying $525 a week in childcare, $1050 after the CCR ran out. I'd be paying to attend work, earning nothing.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-05-2015),Freyamum  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
    All well and good to say Munchkin, but if you are currently pregnant like me & had budgeted on existing leave arrangements, it's extremely stressful to hear of a change like this. Until a confirmed start date is announced for PPL change, I will be very stressed.

It is fair enough if they want to make changes, but at least give people time to understand the situation and plan ahead, not rip the carpet out at the last minute. I sincerely hope changes to PPL won't happen for at least another year, if ever.
    I can understand feeling really stressed but it would be very unlikely they'd get it through parliament that quickly, fingers crossed you should be ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It really depends on what you think PPL is for.
    Is it a workplace entitlement just like annual leave, sick leave, superannuation etc etc.
    Is it to encourage women to stay in the workforce after having a baby?
    Is it to provide financial support for raising a child (regardless of the parents employment status)?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Last year I would've been paying $525 a week in childcare, $1050 after the CCR ran out. I'd be paying to attend work, earning nothing.
    So your partner isn't paying anything in childcare fees? It comes out only of your salary?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So your partner isn't paying anything in childcare fees? It comes out only of your salary?
    Why should he be supporting my kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be in the same situation, and it would work out that my salary would cover it and his salary would cover everything else, such as mortgage, car, bills, food, health cover etc

ETA just because you are a double income family, doesnt mean you are rolling in the big bucks..im not sure if i misread the point of your post.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I would be in the same situation, and it would work out that my salary would cover it and his salary would cover everything else, such as mortgage, car, bills, food, health cover etc
    But ultimately you'd be financially better off not working and saving on childcare? Like my example?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Why should he be supporting my kids?
    I was obviously assuming you are living with the father of the kids.

Hang on though. If you are in a couple with a new partner and you are not working, said new partner is already factually supporting your kids isn't he?
    Unless you are getting a large payment from FOB which in turn is helping pay for childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post

ETA just because you are a double income family, doesnt mean you are rolling in the big bucks..im not sure if i misread the point of your post.
    My post just said that families should be paying for childcare based on the total household income.
    Nowhere did I state that double incomes families are rolling in it...