+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    All well and good to say Munchkin, but if you are currently pregnant like me & had budgeted on existing leave arrangements, it's extremely stressful to hear of a change like this. Until a confirmed start date is announced for PPL change, I will be very stressed.

It is fair enough if they want to make changes, but at least give people time to understand the situation and plan ahead, not rip the carpet out at the last minute. I sincerely hope changes to PPL won't happen for at least another year, if ever.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Falkor For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (10-05-2015),VicPark  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    lol no, you are entitled to your opinion. But I guess I want you to ask yourself do you see the discrepancies in that? That you want working mums to be valued both tangibly and non tangibly but you don't want that for those at home? remember SAHM's only get 2 days @ 30% off currently.

Imagine you ARE at home. With no family, no friends, your husband works a million hours and you have no support. Should you pay up to $150 a day? Should you even get a place?

We are all contributing to society. You are valuable, so am I. If you want the tax payer to help you be at home with your child should I not get a portion of that (bc I recognise I'm home long term so I shouldn't get as much as you per fortnight if that makes sense)? Anyhoo I digress
    That is me next year @delirium when we move to Canberra.

I don't disagree ugh CC being subsidised for SAHP. I was hoping for the increased CCR to go thru.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    That it's more than fine to fund working women to stay home, but sahm's should get squat.
    There's a big difference in the two from a financial perspective. The aim of ppl is to allow working parents (who intend to return to work) limited time off while their babies are young.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (11-05-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (10-05-2015),heplusme  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    I see what they are trying to do with this, but I agree that people should be able to access both if their employer paid leave is not sufficient.

I think that you should only be able to access the government PPL for any period where you are on unpaid maternity leave. That doesn't mean someone shouldn't, in the end, receive both, so long as they don't overlap. So, for example, those who receive 5 weeks from their employer could take 5 weeks + 18 weeks paid by the government following the 5 weeks. I think that's a fair balance.
    This I agree with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    lol no, you are entitled to your opinion. But I guess I want you to ask yourself do you see the discrepancies in that? That you want working mums to be valued both tangibly and non tangibly but you don't want that for those at home? remember SAHM's only get 2 days @ 30% off currently.

Imagine you ARE at home. With no family, no friends, your husband works a million hours and you have no support. Should you pay up to $150 a day? Should you even get a place?

We are all contributing to society. You are valuable, so am I. If you want the tax payer to help you be at home with your child should I not get a portion of that (bc I recognise I'm home long term so I shouldn't get as much as you per fortnight if that makes sense)? Anyhoo I digress
    We are discussing PPL, so replacement wage because as a woman we physically HAVE to stop working to push that baby out and recover from birth/pregnancy.

However if we want to discuss childcare subsidies, I agree that every kids should have access to childcare.
    And prices should be based on the family income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    @Falkor IF it comes in it won't happen until next financial year. Don't stress, with 4 months to go you'll get the current PPL system as it is with being able to claim both.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Falkor  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They want to change it that you have to work over 15 hours per week to get any rebate. CCR and CCB will merge into one payment.
    So does the study and volunteer hours contribute towards the 15 hours? If I could currently magic a PT job into being I would be there. I can't increase childcare days on the "chance" that I could land a day of work, we're already going backwards trying to get back into the workforce.

Thank you by the way. Do you happen to know when this would take effect?

I've kept a log of my volunteer work just in case it was needed.

Next semester I have a study load of 21hours a week plus either paid/unpaid work of 8hour a week totalling 29hours a week.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 10-05-2015 at 20:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    We are discussing PPL, so replacement wage because as a woman we physically HAVE to stop working to push that baby out and recover from birth/pregnancy.
    I personally think there should be a cap placed on PPL. Someone earning 150k a year should not need 75K in assistance to stay home. I fully support the notion of PPL, but just as SAHm's are told to own their choice to procreate, working parents should be saving and contributing to that 6 months too. I would love a 4th child but we simply can't afford it.

Both groups need some level of financial responsibility in the care of their own child.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
    All well and good to say Munchkin, but if you are currently pregnant like me & had budgeted on existing leave arrangements, it's extremely stressful to hear of a change like this. Until a confirmed start date is announced for PPL change, I will be very stressed.

It is fair enough if they want to make changes, but at least give people time to understand the situation and plan ahead, not rip the carpet out at the last minute. I sincerely hope changes to PPL won't happen for at least another year, if ever.
    It won't happen this financial year if it happens at all. Don't let the political BS stresses you

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Falkor  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I personally think there should be a cap placed on PPL. Someone earning 150k a year should not need 75K in assistance to stay home. I fully support the notion of PPL, but just as SAHm's are told to own their choice to procreate, working parents should be saving and contributing to that 6 months too. I would love a 4th child but we simply can't afford it.

Both groups need some level of financial responsibility in the care of their own child.
    It's not assistance to stay home it's a replacement wage because you physically HAVE to stop working.
    I agree that we shouldn't subsidize working parents to stay home further than that. IMO 3 months is sufficient but it should be based on salary and include super, just like sick leave.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (10-05-2015),MINIRoo  (10-05-2015)