+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Budget

Not sure if it's been said. But my understanding is changes like this are phased in - ie won't change it all in July 2015. Also I thought some/most of these changes aren't due to 1 July 2016. It's done this way so people can plan for new system.

Found article that changes are proposed for 2017. So if anyone stressing over current situation, looks like you will still be under current system not new.

http://mobile.news.com.au/finance/ec...-1227349245565
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 10-05-2015 at 20:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see what they are trying to do with this, but I agree that people should be able to access both if their employer paid leave is not sufficient.

However, there are some circumstances where it's clearly unfair to be paid both. I have several friends who work at a university that pays 6 months at full salary, but only on the basis that the employer returns to work for the term immediately following the 6 months leave or something to that effect. So basically, my friend is currently entitled to 18 weeks PPL from the government in addition to her full wage. Well that's good for her, but at the same time I think that's a huge waste of tax payer money. Why should somebody who is on leave at full pay receive extra money from Centerlink? That's like paying unemployment to people when they are gainfully employed!

I think that you should only be able to access the government PPL for any period where you are on unpaid maternity leave. That doesn't mean someone shouldn't, in the end, receive both, so long as they don't overlap. So, for example, those who receive 5 weeks from their employer could take 5 weeks + 18 weeks paid by the government following the 5 weeks. I think that's a fair balance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblena View Post
    I wish they would get a mirror and start throwing their fancy language at themselves.
    Sadly this govt seems to be sorely lacking in self reflection. Like how that idiot Hockey was right behind the privitisation of unis which would have made tertiary education unobtainable for many.... all the while photos come out of him picketing while he was in uni, fighting the change from FREE uni to the current HECS system. Someone explain irony to him please

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Oblena  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Okay...would REALLY appreciate some feedback on our situation to understand what it will mean for us in terms of child care costs.

We fall into the over $65k but under $100k. DH works FT, the day the kids are in care I either work casually or work for nothing for the same amount of hours, plus I study. We're already out-of-pocket $100 for care for the day.

What would our entitlements be?

Would there still be CCB and CCR? (At the moment we save more than 50% on childcare.)

Is there a minimum amount of hours that one would have to work/study in order
    to get subsidies for one day of childcare?

Does it have to be paid work?

When is this going to come in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post

I think that you should only be able to access the government PPL for any period where you are on unpaid maternity leave. That doesn't mean someone shouldn't, in the end, receive both, so long as they don't overlap. So, for example, those who receive 5 weeks from their employer could take 5 weeks + 18 weeks paid by the government following the 5 weeks. I think that's a fair balance.
    Completely agree, you said it more succinctly than me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    At risk of getting stones thrown in my direction, can we sit back and think for a moment that we are lucky to be living somewhere where the government is providing us with money when we have a baby? Helping to pay for cc, ppl, parenting payments, school bonuses etc.

Atm I am hearing a lot of whining about this budget and in my opinion it seems as though we have become a bit of a self entitled society. Generations before us got no form of help from the government when they had families and they got by. Yes the cost of living was lower but then so were wages. If one of the parents stayed home with the children they adjusted their budget to allow for it. Unfortunately due to health reasons I had to resign whilst pregnant so didn't get any ppl only the newborn supplement. My dh and I were aware that our income was taking a massive hit, more 50k per year, so adjusted our expenses so that we could afford for me to stay home with our ds. This meant we moved to a cheaper house, adjusted our spending habits, budgeted and meal planned, sold our car and bought a cheaper one, well you get the idea.

We figured it was our choice to be parents and start a family so we made sure that we weren't relying on anyone. Anything we currently get from the government is a bonus. I'm now looking to return to work, we are looking at care for our ds in the same manner, basically working our budget and planning it around what we know we will be earning.

At no point will we allow our choices be altered by what the government will and won't pay. Whatever they do offer for us will be a bonus. We are lucky to live somewhere where we can get that bonus.

*running away to duck for cover*

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    No stones here - but I do want to point out that in generations past, largely speaking, women were far less likely to be earning a significant income. They either weren't in the workforce or were more likely to be in lower paid or part time work.

Single mothers were also a lot less common as often we know babies were taken away from unwed mothers and divorce wasn't legal. Women as primary income earners were mostly unheard of.

So what worked for our grandparents isn't relevant now.

It sounds like you've sacrificed a lot for your family, selling your house and car is a big deal and I imagine ultimately set you back financially quite significantly.

Policy wise, that's not great for our wider economy to have families go backwards to that extent. It puts you closer to a line of needing a greater level of social welfare as opposed to if you'd been supported to maintain your standard of living for a relatively short period of time.

The reason paid parental leave was introduced in the first place is that it is a policy designed to increase womens participation in the workforce because doing so is better for a more equal society and better for the economy.

Undoing it is seriously regressive.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (11-05-2015),BlissedOut  (10-05-2015),Frankenmum  (10-05-2015),MINIRoo  (10-05-2015),NoteToSelf  (10-05-2015),smallpotatoes  (12-05-2015),Star Light  (12-05-2015),VicPark  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    Okay...would REALLY appreciate some feedback on our situation to understand what it will mean for us in terms of child care costs.

We fall into the over $65k but under $100k. DH works FT, the day the kids are in care I either work casually or work for nothing for the same amount of hours, plus I study. We're already out-of-pocket $100 for care for the day.

What would our entitlements be?

Would there still be CCB and CCR? (At the moment we save more than 50% on childcare.)

Is there a minimum amount of hours that one would have to work/study in order
    to get subsidies for one day of childcare?

Does it have to be paid work?

When is this going to come in?
    They want to change it that you have to work over 15 hours per week to get any rebate. CCR and CCB will merge into one payment.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (10-05-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Sub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, yes, yes @ScubaGal

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont want this to go through because im already potentially going to miss out on my sons first steps and first words while hes at childcare when i go back to work...i dont want to miss out on his first smiles and giggles too.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

harvs  (10-05-2015),ScubaGal  (10-05-2015)