+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help. Need to wean from thumb sucking!!

Looking for any suggestions to ease my 20 month old off his thumb sucking habit. He's been a great self settler since he started sucking his thumb around ten weeks. However he sometimes gets a sucking blister on his thumb, and now it has gotten an infection. Dr has given antibacterial cream and said he has to stop the sucking ASAP in order for it to heal. We are applying the cream morning and night and bandaging his thumb which stops him sucking it. But how to I help him sleep without it? The crying is breaking my heart. He has a comforter already (which he loves). And should we try to break the habit for good now? Or just until his thumb heals? I'm scared the problem could just reoccur and we have another baby coming in ten weeks...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No suggestions as my 5 year old DS still sucks his thumb, I loved it when he was a newborn as he also self settled. He gets sucking blisters too but just swaps and sucks the other thumb!! Luckily they've never gotten infected.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

bobanna  (11-05-2015)

Similar Threads

1. Thumb sucking – when/how to stop this habit?
    By sunnygirl79 in forum 3 year olds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-11-2014, 16:35
  2. Thumb sucking
    By LivinOnAPrayer in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 21:50
  3. 2.5 year old thumb sucker
    By Meld85 in forum 2 year olds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 09:29