+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Aggressive kids at Daycare

I'm having some problems with our long daycare provider.
    I recently removed my 4 year old from the centre as a child in his room has been aggressive to my son over several weeks, punching him in the face and stomach. I complained to the centre and they said all they could do is supervise more closely as they are not permitted to disciplin children.
    This week it's a different child in my 3 year olds room. On Wednesday the staff said he was punched in the arm repeatidly, and today while picking up my son, the child punched my eldest in the stomach, and when I was consoling him, he punched my youngest in the face. The staff diverted him to a cornor where he picked up a pot and threw it at them.
    I've never had to sign any incident reports about this, I'm wondering if incident reports should be done in such cases?
    I will talk to the director on Monday, I'd love to take them out but we live in a rural area and it's the only centre in town, and I'm down to working the two days my eldest is in kinder now instead of three days a week, but I'm not feeling confident that theyre doing a lot to manage aggressive children.
    Thanks in advance for your advice

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Aggressive kids at Daycare

Wow... I can't believe that there are no incident reports for this - there absolutes needs to be.

I'd probably remove my child as well.

Eta just noticed that it's the only centre available to you. That makes it so much harder. I guess the only option you have (unless you have alternate care) is to keep talking to the carers. Good luck this is an awful situation to be in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    a daycare absolutely CAN deal with this, yours just doesnt want to by the sound of it,

I know a kid who was a bit of a problem with teachers, he hit a kid in the face and got suspended from pre-school the rest of the term.

Ask to speak to the director, if that doesnt work go higher

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please talk to the director, it's seems like the staff in the room are having trouble managing that child's behaviour. I strongly suggest that you talk to the director and hopefully the staff in that room might get some support to help them out.
    Sometimes as educators it's hard to know how to handle certain children.
    It's still not acceptable and not you should be reviewing accident reports and phone calls from them.
    Also sounds like they might not be supervising the children properly. I'm a preschool teacher and this behaviour never really happens because of great supervision, teacher involvement and teaching the children to care for one another and themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reviewing is meant to say receiving

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your input.
    I'll see the director and if I work up the courage I'll ask why the reports weren't done

Thanks
    Reviews
    The director is probably unaware what's happening in the room

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Educators are unable to discipline children due to laws and legislations, and really would you want someone to cisalpine your child in a centre. When you put your children in care you should have received a booklet with a heap of forms, in there should be the centres policies and procedures. I would study these and have a meeting with the director, where you would request to use their family/staff grievance policy. What is happening is not right and there should be incident forms being filled out as well as the parents of the child they are struggling with behaviourally should be advised and spoken to about what procedures they should go through to help resolve this. There are penalty fines to the educators and centre for not abiding by legislations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe they are scared of how the parents will react ...sound like a very unsafe and horrible situation that your little one is in ....

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Can I clarify what people are talking about when they refer to discipline? Are we meaning physically?

Because they should have some protocols in place to either withdraw a violent child or else remove other children to a safe place.

They should have consequences in place (discipline) for misbehaviour - this can include sending the child home if he is endangering others.

I don't buy the response that they can't do anything.

OP I would broach the incident reports by asking that in future any incidents involving your child are documented in writing with a copy provided to you. Then you can add that you thought they had a legal obligation to document any physical incidents, especially if they have administered first aid, in case there is a need for legal and medical follow up, and you're surprised not to have signed anything so far.

Good luck. It's daunting I know but just remember you are your child's biggest advocate and you have every right to question his care.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (09-05-2015)