+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Cloth mama here too! We use mostly bambooty.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

tickle  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    @deku - If I keep the lid sealed on the bucket I don't notice the smell at all. I probably wash every second day, but I think I'm going to get a few more nappies so I'm only washing every third day.
    It's only when the lid is off that we notice the smell, $10 buckets from KMart do a remarkably good job of containing it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

tickle  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    No lid here. We get mould if I put the lid on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep cloth here too - we use a brand we got from the markets 'fancipants'. They are a cheapy brand but still going strong after 10 months.

We recently had to stop using them overnight as ds is a heavy wetter & mostly sleeps through, but during the day they are great, barely any leaks.

We use a sealed nappy bucket from kmart. We wash every second day & dont have any issues with smell or mold.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

tickle  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    No lid here. We get mould if I put the lid on.
    Oh wow, I've never had that before. Is that because of the climate where you live?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cloth Nappy Folk

I have a nappy bucket with a lid from Target that locks the lid on in case I have to leave it on the floor for a bit (it sits in the laundry sink) so DD can't get in. No smell unless the lid isn't on properly. I wash every second - sometimes third - day and rinse the bucket out with Dettol & leave it out in the sun while the nappies are washing.

ETA: never had mould either

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

tickle  (08-05-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    @tickle how funny haha! We used to stuff the pocket bbh as much as possible but still had leaks. No problems so far with the sposies. We did use cloth over night for the first 10 months or so though.

Also we have never had mould in the nappy bucket. Though we don't close the lid completely.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cloth Nappy Folk

Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post

Here's a question - does every one else get a really strong ammonia smell from wet nappies that sit in the bucket for a couple of days? I rinse poopy ones but should I be rinsing the wet ones too? Do those nappy bucket deodourisers work? Or do I just need to do the washing more frequently? (Nappies are currently done about every 4 days)
    I put in the nappy bucket a rag with some tea tree oil on it to help it smell fresher. I also wipe the bucket with the rag first after I pop the nappies in the wash. I wash every 3-4 days.

I use bubblebub candies for day use. I tried several brands when dd was younger and I ended up going with them.
    I use disposables at night now too- when dd was under a year issy bears worked ok but I was so over the occasional leak and her huge butt struggling to get pj pants over her lol.

I'm obsessed with my cloth nappies I'm sad it's getting colder as they are hidden now

I'm naughty and use the dryer to finish them off if it's been cold - I'll give them a few hours on clothes horse first. I do have enough nappies though to last dd a week though lol. At least I'll save heaps with a baby on the way!!!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 08-05-2015 at 19:45.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

tickle  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    Here's a question - does every one else get a really strong ammonia smell from wet nappies that sit in the bucket for a couple of days? I rinse poopy ones but should I be rinsing the wet ones too? Do those nappy bucket deodourisers work? Or do I just need to do the washing more frequently? (Nappies are currently done about every 4 days)
    I notice the ammonia smell in summer but not really in the cold weather. I wash every 2 days as I heard any longer between washes could lead to mould problems though I'm not sure how true that is. Anyway with everything taking 2 days to dry at the moment I have to wash that often anyway. 😊

I also do a rinse cycle at the start of each wash because I'm using a front loader.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1431079980.046485.jpg This is my latest cloth purchase

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-05-2015),BettyV  (08-05-2015),deku  (08-05-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (08-05-2015),tickle  (08-05-2015)