+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Joint birthday parties? Do? Don't?

DD and DS are born two weeks apart. DD will be 4, DS will be 1. I was thinking of having a joint birthday party to save guests from being invited to two separate parties close together. Plus, my parents could come down for just the one party. Is this a silly idea? If you have had joint parties for your kids, any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other alternative I have thought is for DD to have a little party with her 4-5 closest friends at the local play centre and then a bigger family party for both her and DS.

I do still have 6 months, but I love planning their birthdays

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    our family has a few birthdays close together. we have often combined parties. even my dh 60th with his sisters 50th, and there was almost a month between the birth dates. I don't think it matters much to little ones, and when you have to consider people having to travel, I think combining parties is a good idea. marie.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    as a kid I always had a shared birthday party with my sister. she was only 1 year younger and it was a small country town so we had the same friends ... but it was always both.

for a 1 yr old - they arent going to notice so the party is more for you and your family to celebrate their first year than anything ... so definitely a shared party is a great idea.

tips

- 2 cakes
    - games for the 4 yr old that are for him and his friends to make sure he feels special
    - 2 happy birthday songs

as they get older if you are having a joint party it will be a little more difficult to ensure that they both feel like 'the birthday child' ... but for the first few years it will be easy enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I would do the birthdays in the week between as a joint one. I probably wouldn't give them a joint one every year though. In fact I'd be more likely to alternate who gets a party each year and then do something smaller for the other child on their off year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd do a joint one. We went to one recently (1 and 3 year old) - it was great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Joint parties at that age are fine IMO and I have done them for my youngest 2, who are 2 years apart with birthdays 3 weeks from each other.

After school age I wouldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    DD and DS are born two weeks apart. DD will be 4, DS will be 1. I was thinking of having a joint birthday party to save guests from being invited to two separate parties close together. Plus, my parents could come down for just the one party. Is this a silly idea? If you have had joint parties for your kids, any tips?
    I would only do it if they have the same group of friends. Or if your kids are ok with one child's friend not giving the other child a present.

We go to a lot of joint parties- DSS has 3 sets of twins in his year, and is only friends with 1 twin out of each set. So that twin gets a present (the other twins aren't in his class- the school separates twins after kindy so they get their own friends).
    DSD has friends with birthdays around the same time, but she is friend with both girls in both sets that join parties, so they all get a gift.

ETA: just saw your youngest is 1. At that age they won't notice so I think it would be ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys are only a day apart (3 year gap) so they have done a couple of joint parties,no drama. I find in between games they just mix with their own friends,and there's never been an issue. I did a joint cake too