+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    wow , nomsie. do you have any scars on your toe/foot?? maybe your mum has not wanted to remember this because you were so hurt??
    dss, radar went home because his uncle had died and there was no other male to help his mum run the farm. radar didn't come back.
    henry blake was going home to stay, his tour of duty was up, and his chopper was shot down over korea. I think I spent too many hours watching m*a*s*h . I loved that show. I don't remember the Bernstein bears. marie.
    Ahh see that's the thing. In my mind I can remember the scars- I can picture them perfectly. But as I look at my toe today it's perfectly fine. Not a hint of a scar at all. But I know it was there!

Also- I love MASH too

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (08-05-2015),SuperGranny  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    wow , nomsie. do you have any scars on your toe/foot?? maybe your mum has not wanted to remember this because you were so hurt??
    dss, radar went home because his uncle had died and there was no other male to help his mum run the farm. radar didn't come back.
    henry blake was going home to stay, his tour of duty was up, and his chopper was shot down over korea. I think I spent too many hours watching m*a*s*h . I loved that show. I don't remember the Bernstein bears. marie.
    Yep I just googled it to make sure then came back and saw what you wrote. It was his uncle. I watched mash so many times when I was really young and then heaps more when I was older. I never got why they killed Henry off when he was going home anyway.

And I too thought Courtney love had died years ago.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (08-05-2015),SuperGranny  (08-05-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think I would cry every time I watched that episode. I can still see radar coming into the theatre to read the telegram. someone yells at him to put on a mask. that must have been one of the hardest scenes to do. it was so well done. marie.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (08-05-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (08-05-2015),snowqu33n  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    And if it is, then surely others must have their own stories of their own alternate memories?
    It's a running joke in my family that my sister has all these "memories" which didn't actually happen, like that our other sister was allowed to drive, unsupervised, on her L's after drinking alcohol when she was 17. There's no way our parents in this universe would allow that so maybe it is her alternate universe parents that allowed it! She has so many stories that she remembers differently or that no one else remembers.

I also have vivid memories of lying in my parents bed with a bandaid on my leg and mum telling me there were tiny, microscopic men working under the bandaid with hammers to make my graze / cut better. I then remember that's what she would tell me when i was hurt and needed a bandaid, but she has no recollection of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    I've just been reading more on the website, and the author used words "alternate memory" to describe the Mandela affect and it made me think of my own personal memory.

In the years since I have written it off as a very realistic dream, because I could come up with no other explanation as to why I can remember this but my mother especially, but others too, cannot.

When I was around 5 (pretty sure I was in prep as will explain later) I remember one fine sunny day my family was visiting my Nanna at her farm. This happened a lot- my Papa died a few years earlier and my Dad began working on the farm for my Nanna. We later moved onto the farm and lived there- but at this point we still had our house in town.
    Nanna had a very long dirt driveway, but from the house you could walk say 50m and get to a cattle grid. As kids that used to be the point to ride to, and turn around.
    Nanna had a various assortment of old bikes and trikes out at the farm- remnants from her own 5 children and more were probably added as the number of grandchildren grew. One of these was an old blue steel trike.
    This trike was so old the paint was peeling and rust was coming through but perhaps most importantly the rubber tyres had long gone and the trike ran on its 3 rims.
    I can't recall who it was that was pushing me- it could have been my uncle or my dad. Rationally I would say uncle because dad would have been busy farming. At great speed I was pushed up the drive to the cattle grid and back again in quick succession.
    On one such trip to the grid, I put my foot down under the front rim of the wheel and it was run over.
    I remember a lot of shouting and a lot of blood.
    My next memory is going to bed that night. I remember my big toe was very, very sore. So sore that the heavy blankets (before the days of doonas) would hurt my toe everytime they touched. I distinctly remember mum and dad being in our room (shared with my sister) and saying goodnight, and mum putting a large box in my bed with the bottom folded in so my foot could sit inside and the box would hold the blankets off my toe.
    In my memory, my toe was cut quite deeply.

This, to me was real. I had no doubt about it for years. It was fact. I bought it up as a young adult with my mum who swears black and blue it wasn't true.

But I question two things:
    1. As a five year old, how would I have created a memory of the box in the bed to hold the blankets off my toe? I am certain I could not have come up with a solution like that to stop heavy blankets from hurting a body part. But then, perhaps my real memory that I have distorted is mum and dad putting the box in my sisters bed for some ailment she had?
    So then the next question is:
    2. Why in my school memories folder can I go to my prep year and pull out my writing book and locate a story with pictures about the day my toe was "smashed" by the bike? I wasn't a macabre kid, and wouldn't make up a story like that.

My only explanation for years is that I dreamed the lot of it (weird- never had cohesive and realistic dreams. Usually my dreams jump from one oddball thing to another) but now I question if this is my own alternate memory?

And if it is, then surely others must have their own stories of their own alternate memories?
    I remember going in 'Year 7' and everyone was getting the MMR (mandatory at age 12), but I had gotten it the year before. I was adamant I had gotten it. Tried to convince my teachers, doctors, the immunisation nurses, the principal, parents, etc. Noone believed me, a 12 year old, over mum who swore I had not gotten it.
    So, I got it (again to me). A few hours later I went to hospital, I got very very very sick and was in there for 3 days. Noone could understand the reaction. It had only happened to kids who had gotten 2 doses in a small space of time. I must have convinced my body I had gotten it, etc etc. I saw psychologists, psychiatrists, medical teams, etc. I was fine after a week or so. But still adamant that it had happened because it WAS a 2nd dose within about 6 months.

Fast forward about 3 months, and mum was clearing out a box of school stuff. There she found a piece of paper from my primary stating I had gotten the MMR (as she requested, and signed) on X date in 'Year 6', 4.5 months prior to the Year 7 dose.

People forget things. The brain is a funny thing. It makes connections that we don't realise until later. Sometimes is connects based on what we expect to see/hear/recall/etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (08-05-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    *freakig out at all the M*A*S*H fans*

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (08-05-2015),SuperGranny  (08-05-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Are you not a fan of it? Because this will strain our friendship if you're not, I have to be honest...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (08-05-2015),Skyler  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Are you not a M*A*S*H fan??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just remembered that my DH is convinced that John Goodman died about 10 years ago.

There was a hoax rumour last year that he died (I just googled it) but DH has been insisting on this every time we've seen him in a movie for years. I assumed that he was mixing him up with John Candy, but the timeline doesn't match up & DH says he knows the difference between the two actors.

This has got me thinking now 😳

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
    I just remembered that my DH is convinced that John Goodman died about 10 years ago.

There was a hoax rumour last year that he died (I just googled it) but DH has been insisting on this every time we've seen him in a movie for years. I assumed that he was mixing him up with John Candy, but the timeline doesn't match up & DH says he knows the difference between the two actors.

This has got me thinking now 😳
    I thought the same thing until I saw something with him in recently. Maybe we are thinking of the show Rosanne where he died in that?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (08-05-2015)